Cone Filter - Does it make a difference?

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Re: Cone Filter - Does it make a difference?

Post by GreyWolf »

juDge wrote:Hey guys, i have a VW Citi Rhythm Golf 1.4 (carb) and wondering if getting a cone filter like maybe a K&N would give me some more power and a better sound? I have friends telling me YES and some saying NO???

Any suggestions?
no, a cone filter will not give you any more noticeable power, especially on your car. maybe 1hp, if that.

If you matched your intake conversion with an exhaust conversion then you would get some noticeable power. but then only a small amount.

the problem is that your engine already breathes quite easily, so any mods in that department are really just a waste of money.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
psyko

Post by psyko »

GreyWolf wrote:
juDge wrote:Hey guys, i have a VW Citi Rhythm Golf 1.4 (carb) and wondering if getting a cone filter like maybe a K&N would give me some more power and a better sound? I have friends telling me YES and some saying NO???

Any suggestions?
no, a cone filter will not give you any more noticeable power, especially on your car. maybe 1hp, if that.

If you matched your intake conversion with an exhaust conversion then you would get some noticeable power. but then only a small amount.

the problem is that your engine already breathes quite easily, so any mods in that department are really just a waste of money.

i still agree got to love vw for spending the bucks on the intake for us

to Mauritzvw1 thanks man
juDge

Post by juDge »

Thanks guys :lol:
Intel Corei5 2500 3.3GHZ
8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333mhz Ram
Asus P8H67-M Motherboard
MSI 570GTX-Twin-Frozr-III Power Edition OC
Coollermaster HAF 922 Case
Coollermaster Extreme 550w PSU
Samsung 24" LED S24A350H 2ms
Bukzini

Post by Bukzini »

You'll make more power and get better fuel consumption but not very much... Your engine will feel a bit more responsive also...

Oh and get a heatshield wit that cone filter cause you can also loose alot of power just because your engine would be sucking in hot air than colder air which give beautiful power

Edit: Oh Yes... I think you should do it :D :lol: :twisted:
garp

Post by garp »

Any suggestions?
Anyone notice how the exact same thing is going on...... some say no..... some say yes..... I say.... I have no clue. so this whole thread is not really helping much :?
Cooler Master RC-690 CM 690
Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz
MSI R5870
2 x 1TB WD Black
Corsair DDR3-1600 6GB DOMINATOR
Intel SmackOver DX58SO MB
Corsair TX650W Power Supply - 650W
Samsung P2350 23"
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Lol. Ask at vwclub.co.za. But be prepared to be flamed ;)
naughty

Post by naughty »

hey - all the guys that tell you that they feel more power when they do it - ask them for dyno results - cos you aint gonna feel much in terms of power - you need to measure it to know whether there really is a difference - and no even going higher by 7kw or 8kw will not make much noticeable difference

dont rely on guesswork and uneducated guesses - the real technical types on proper motoring forums all tell you that its a waste of time - obviously they have tried it and they dont buy into the marketing ****** - and they are not scared to admit that spending R500 on something like this was a total waste of time :wink:
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

I34z1k wrote:Lol. Ask at vwclub.co.za. But be prepared to be flamed ;)
I heard that they had a Dyno day and one guy actually volunteered his car for the experiment to check what the power figures are with the standard box and them with the cone filter. Straight swop in and out...thats it. What the result is I have no idea. Guess they would have it on the forum? Go take a look ;)
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Hire A Programmer -|- Just Source Code Blog
I8AMERC

Post by I8AMERC »

If you want performance from a cone filter you need to install a proper system aka a BMC direct air intake system, that will set you back around R1100 and then another R200 - R300 to get it installed. Im running this system on my tricked out elantra and i couldn't be happier!!
Moooooove, I\'m trying to speed!