Elfen Lied

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Well, so do I!
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

I wonder when the 2nd dvd is going to be at animedirect. Madman(the Australian distrobuter animedirect buys from) released it 19/10. The 3rd one is coming only the 7/12. its still a while to wait....

Btw did you buy the box with the dvd?
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

I am still trying to get some eps of this, maybe I will also enjoy it... Internet just screwing me around a bit with ISP price changes and all... Just when I get excited that I might be getting some anime, I find out something has changed or gone wrong...
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Nah I baught the normal DVD for R160.

Same pics, and back says "Idle hands are the Devil's plaything".
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

I never thought bout that saying much, now I kinda like it.

Wish I could pull the artwork of the dvd, but its integrated in the VOB files, I would really like to have that pics in HQ. O well atleat soem of it is on the website.
Psych0_Cr1tt3r

Post by Psych0_Cr1tt3r »

Can someone please explain the DVD extra episode to me?

The part where she is captured, because I thought she was captured when she was younger. Am I missing something here? And the person talking to Director what's-his-name looks like the guy who told the Director about Lucy when they were in university or something to that effect.

I'm stupid or slow.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Lucy was a runaway. She was not born in solitaire like the other Diclonius. In one scene in the orphanage whilst the other kids bullied her they answered your question, saying that she was found abandoned in the woods as an infant. She was the original, the first, the one they were hunting, the one they were always looking for, as the Diclonius infection started with her.

They knew of her existance as she left them traces thereof, they tracked her by her mothod of killing, dismembering her victims. That's how they traced her to that warehouse with her runaway friend. That's why she and her friend had blood-stains on their clothes even before Director Kurama and the guards arrived.

That's also why even Mariko, the monster she were, was scared of Lucy when she heard that secretary saying her name, Lucy, on that bridge, for even she knew Lucy was the first, "the one everyone is so afraid of".

Think of Lucy as the mother of the Diclonius.

She was first captured, willingly I might add, in that warehouse, to later escape as we see her doing in the very first minute of the series.

The DVD filler serves only three purposes though :

-It explains as to why she does not kill Director Kurama, first shown when she killed everyone around him, including his innocent secretary, whom she decapitated, slowly, in her escape, yet left only a blood-stained handprint on his back, indicating that she could have done so easily. By earlier telling him that she will one day strike-down all those around him, all those close to him, so that he understands the pain she herself felt in that warehouse where they killed her innocent freind. This matter thus, now closed.
-It shows us that she befriended another human after Kouta, and were again, hurt as a result, adding to her personality, and her feeling of betrayal. It also shows us that Lucy is not infact, the vicious killer she is by choice, but by occurance.
-It shows us how Nana came to accept Lucy as a friend, the same Nyu she had doubt's about whilst living with, the same Nyu / Lucy she was willing to send to her death by taking her to Bando, and even at her own hands, by murdering her in her sleep. Nana thus forgave her, even though having lost both her arms and legs in her fight with Lucy earlier, came to accept her, as she herself came to understand Lucy's cruel actions.

And yes, that is the chief's son, who'm studied with Director Kurama at university. The one Lucy killed in his laboratory, after he drugged her, before he had the chance to rape her Nyu personality, Lusy awoke and told him "my other side is asleep".

I understand your confusion though, as she goes on asking him "now who the hell are you?", even though she saw him in that warehouse years earlier.

Lets just say she may have forgotten, she was tortured on a daily basis you know, and remember she has just been drugged as well.
Psych0_Cr1tt3r

Post by Psych0_Cr1tt3r »

You still haven't awnsered my question, but thanks anyway.

In one episode they show the 'chief's son' telling the Director about a girl with horns, in fact, he shows her to him when she was young (The cannon balls and such). Her hair was cut short and her voice was high pitched. In the extra episode she's older, her hair is long and voice a little lower in pitch. And here the director tells the chief's sun about a girl with horns, like it's for the first time.

Also, the director became all agsty after his wife died. After Lucy infected him while being captured. In the extra episode, he's already angsty and pissed off when she is captured.

It's not the symbolism or character development that's got me all confused, it's the chronological order of events that seem to contradict themselves. It's almost like she was captured when shot by the police, then escaped, then was captured again in the extra episode, then escaped again when the series starts.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Nope, not at all, your reading into it too much, and your pretrial is not accurate. Here’s why :

SPOILERS AHEAD – DO NOT LOOK – FOR THOSE WHOM FINISHED THIS SERIES ONLY!

Lucy was captured only once, and she escaped only once.

Although there’s more than one reference in the series confirming this I’ll keep it short and give you only a few extracts from the DVD filler, episode 14, as you yourself said you did not understand it.

Firstly, pay attention to the dialogue between Kurama and the chiefs son (who’s name I forgot, so I’ll be referring to him as “son” hereon out, sorry) at the beginning of the DVD, whilst talking at the table :

Son : “Okay, what should I do next?” “Everything that happened in the past has been erased.” “Even if the rumor about what’s happening near Kamakura is true it’s impossible for me to go search for a girl who’s existence is unknown.” (They have thus never seen her before.)

(Kurama shows him the picture of little Lucy, taken from the orphanage.)

Son : “Horns?” (He thus didn’t even know Diclonius have horns yet.)
Kurama : “I’ve finally found her.” (They’ve thus been searching all along.) “That girl is the devil that’s going to destroy this world.”
Son : “She is?” (Again, he thus didn’t even know.) “What’s the origin?”
Kurama : “Five years ago there was an incident where four children were slaughtered in a welfare facility.” (This conversation thus occurred five years after, and as I’ve already told you, Lucy was mentioned to have been abandoned in the woods as an infant, found, and then taken to the orphanage. That’s how she got there.) “She was the only girl missing at the time.” (Kurama can thus do nothing more than suspect her at this time, as he has also never seen her before.) “Within a week many murder cases happened after each other.” “I bet she did it for the sake of hiding her horns.” “From the eyewitness’s information we collected it seems she was wearing a hat low over her eyes.” (Again, like I already told you, this is how they found her, because she left them clues, unintentionally.)

(Scene showing little Lucy taking off her hat at the bazaar where she killed all those people. This insert thus contradicts Kurama’s comment.)

Son : “If we can find out the details…”
Kurama : “Then everything will be made clear.” (They thus don’t even know much about the Diclonius mutation at this time, which is why they are looking for the source, Lucy.)
Son : “As expected from you.”
Kurama : “That is it.” “Everything will be over.”
Son : “ This is just the beginning.” (As revealed earlier, he had different plans, as he wanted to copulate with Lucy in order to bear a pure Diclonius offspring. That was his agenda for seeking the first, Lucy.)

Now fast forward to the scene where Lucy lied unconscious in Nana’s lap, dreaming of her friend. Pay attention to what she tells her friend in that flashback :

Lucy : “Don’t worry, I’ve been alone until now.” (Again, she has never been captured until she surrendered in that warehouse.)

Now fast forward to the scene just before Kurama and the chiefs son enters the warehouse where they found her. Listen to what he says :

Son : “I finally get to see the queen.” (Again, indicating two things, (a) they have never seen her before and (b) his personal agenda.)

Now fast forward to the scene after the guard shot her friend :

Kurama : “There’s no place for you in this world.” (His luring her into captivity, not again, but for the first time.)
Lucy : “Is that so?” (As above.)

Fast forward a little more :

Kurama : “Let’s make a deal.” “If you surrender obediently, I’ll save that girl.”
Lucy : “You have to keep your word.” (Again, this was her first and only capture.)

Now for the last time though, fast forward a little more, to the scene showing Kurama talking to the imprisoned Lucy :

Lucy : “Do you have a family?”
Kurama : “Both my wife and daughter is dead.” “What do you want to say?”
Lucy : “I wont kill you.”
Kurama : “What?”
Lucy : “One day, I will have you experience the same thing I did.” “I will erase everything related to you.” “On day, for sure.”

Now, take that into account, then listen to your question. You are not making any sense.

The little girl that escaped in the facility whom touched Kurama’s mind after telling him : “Finally we meet, man behind the glass” was not Lucy. That was just another Diclonius, whom died as she was shot at point blank at the back of her head.

Except for the very first episode where Lucy laid a bloodstained handprint on his back, Lucy did not ever touch Kurama throughout the entire series, simply because the very first time she met him, she promised she would not ever. Even after dismembering Nana in the graveyard she did not touch him after he slapped her. So where you got the impression from that Lucy infected Kurama I really don’t know. That is really not the case, and nowhere in this series is it made so.

And Kurama showed anxiety in that warehouse only because he realized that he had ordered the guard to shoot Lucy’s friend, and not in fact Lucy as he had mistaken them for her friend wore her hat. He thus thought they were both Diclonius, until he realized he had actually just killed a civilian, a human. Before that moment he was in fact totally calm.

And also Kurama’s wife did not die due to the infection, but due to a bladder infection worsened by giving birth. The nurse told Kurama that. She would have lived had she not gotten up in her quest to try and convince her husband, Kurama, to not murder their newborn child. She gave her life to save her daughters.

Oh and before I forget, Lucy has the ability to heal from her wounds. This Kurama tells Nana. So if your talking about that scene where little Lucy lured those guards into the apartment only to slaughter them where one got a lucky shot that hit her, your getting it wrong again, for nowhere did that episode gave the impression that they in fact captured her there. Though she was shot yes, she did kill all of them. So who was left there to imprison her?

Anyways, I hope this helps. If not, then please describe the scenes you speak of a bit better should I have gotten it wrong.
Psych0_Cr1tt3r

Post by Psych0_Cr1tt3r »

Oh em eff gee, teh spoiler!
Rayne wrote:The little girl that escaped in the facility whom touched Kurama’s mind after telling him : “Finally we meet, man behind the glass” was not Lucy. That was just another Diclonius, whom died as she was shot at point blank at the back of her head.
Now that makes sense.

I thought she was Lucy because she has the same hair style, looked the same age and they show scientists experimenting on her directly after the scene where Lucy was shot. Imagine that. Lucy killed the police in the apartment, then it looks like she passed out from three freaking bullet wounds to the torso and the rest of the policeforce standing outside the house. That's why I thought she was captured there. Shot -> unconcious -> Lots of police -> Captured girl that looks identical.

It got me all confused.

The girl that I thought was Lucy got shot in the head, and like you said they mention she has healing abilities and whatnot, so I thought the Nyuu personality was unarticulated because of braindamage from a wound that left her missing half her head.

So if your talking about that scene where little Lucy lured those guards into the apartment only to slaughter them where one got a lucky shot that hit her, your getting it wrong again, for nowhere did that episode gave the impression that they in fact captured her there. Though she was shot yes, she did kill all of them. So who was left there to imprison her?
They don't show the police outside getting slaughtered and she was unconcious. It just got me confuzzled, but I can live with that explanation.

So yeah, thanks, now I get it too. I feel enlightened and slightly heavier
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

There's an easier way to set yourself at ease.

I didn't think of it last night, but listen to the conversation between Director Kurama, the Director General and his son Kuzakawa (I think his name is) in episode 10, just after Kurama realised how he became infected and left the hospital...

That little Diclonius was number 3, and yes she did kinda look like little Lucy there I'll admit.

Anaways, after she infected Kurama and after his wife died, the General ordered them to go and look for the first, hence Lucy could not have been captured before that.

And somewhere towards the end where we first see Mariko, that one guy in the white doctor's coat also tells us that she is the last of the 3d generation they kept alive.

The problem with the 2nd and 3d generation Diclonius was that they could not have children, only the 1st generation could, Lucy. This Kurama tells Bando after he gave him his artificial limbs. That's why they were looking for her and why Kuzakawa tried to rape her.

Anyways thats my thoughts, Nuke and someone else might wanna add to that also.

PS : You guys want some real food for thought?

Lucy is physically taller than Nyu. I'm dead serious, go check.

Let me give you oke's a hint of where to look :

- compare both standing next to Kouta
- look at little Lucy's alter ego in that scene in her mind (conflicting personalities - Lucy / Nyu) at the bazaar.

I have my interpretation, what do you guys think?
Last edited by Rayne on 15 Nov 2005, 20:29, edited 2 times in total.
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

Rayne, youre good explaining things :wink: Personly Ive seen the series too long ago to remember some of the details, exept for ep 10.5 sunday and vector 1 last week. Will watch it again after friday.

Btw for people confused with the ending or who only want some other peoples thoughtshere is a link.

Ps we wont have vector 4 before about march next year :(
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Yeah I've also been watching out for that last release date, pity though.

Btw I see Elfen is now sitting at #4 in the top 200.
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

Maybe we should order directly for ADV...but eish then it work out over R200

Now I have seen all of animenfo's top 4. :P
Psych0_Cr1tt3r

Post by Psych0_Cr1tt3r »

Thanks Rayne, that makes even more sense.

Lucy is physically taller than Nyu. I'm dead serious, go check.

Let me give you oke's a hint of where to look :

- compare both standing next to Kouta
- look at little Lucy's alter ego in that scene in her mind (conflicting personalities - Lucy / Nyu) at the bazaar.
That's kind of weird considering Lucy's posture, but height is normally linked to making a character look more powerful. Viewing a character from beneath will make it appear more dominating. So I guess it's just an exaggeration to make Lucy appear more confident and mature.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Yes, i agree with that.

It shows Nyu's innocence, Lucy's childhood which she laid to rest in that scene where she took Lucy's hand at the bazaar, after being hurt one time too many.
SoulErazor

Post by SoulErazor »

Rayne wrote:Those English dubbers were morons.
Have you never heard of "THE EVIL DUB" try watching Scryed in english also very bad...
In The Name Of God,Impure Souls Of The Living Dead Shall Be Banished Into Eternal Damnation,Amen
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

@Soul Was it really that bad, that English scryed? I didn't hate it but it wasn't all that bad... There were only 2 voices which actually didn't fit and that was the head of HOLY, Ryou (don't know spelling) and that speed guy, the one that can make things go faster...

Will be getting Elfen from a friend, then I can also comment on it... Just finished Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Panic, Fooly Cooly, Samurai Kyo and Green Green...
SoulErazor

Post by SoulErazor »

Probl'y worse, but I really enjoyed it (in Japanese) which is why I own the boxset....
In The Name Of God,Impure Souls Of The Living Dead Shall Be Banished Into Eternal Damnation,Amen
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

I have watched the first 4 eps and man I have to say, this is one brutal anime... And then again, it has it's funny moments...

Don't you just love it when the guy gets into al sorts of trouble when he meets more girls?
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

That's about all the funny your gonna see in this anime, except for one scene with Mayu and Bando on the beach. And maybe one or two involving Nana, but in short not much.

From episode 6 onwards they concentrated on explaining the story.

It gets a little sad and brutal hereon out.

Horror mixed with thriller mixed with action mixed with romance mixed with comedy.

Elfen actually managed to pull it off rather well.

Enjoy the rest.
jee

Post by jee »

Rayne, am going to have to buy the boxset - can't get the disk to work again :( you will have to come and visit and set it up for me.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

I will burn you new one's next week.

I'll put in on CD this time.

I'll pm you shortly.

Sorry about that.
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

I remember seeing somewhere something about an unofficial Elfen Lied PC game.

I've looked at www.elfenlied.net for the right link, but the site has been closed down.

Could anyone please help me?
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Yeah it was a flash game over at elfenlied.net.

As you know the site is dead, so no, sorry, see what google says.

Anyways, I will be getting the last three vectors soon and will then start working on an Elfen music vid whenever I have time but I am still pondering about what song to choose and would thus like to know from you guys that watched it as well which song you find most fitting.

You can post it here in this thread.

Atm I'm leaning towards Somewhere from Within Temptation but I'm not totally sure.