Inter-racial Relationships - your views?

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Ark
Processor: E4400
Graphics card: 8800GTX
Memory: 4GB DDR2

Post by Ark »

Yeah, for some reason pics don't get displayed in my sig anymore...
16-bit Corpse
Spoiler: (show)
I like scrota.
PaperCut

Post by PaperCut »

Ark wrote:Yeah, for some reason pics don't get displayed in my sig anymore...
Maybe you don't have sig rights anymore.
Or try hosting it at a different place...
/. Image /. Image /. Image /. Image /.
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

imageshack is messed up these past months
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

PaperCut wrote:There's black people who speak English and have no idea who they really are or where they come from (heritage)
with all due respect, that statement is as flawed as they come. are you just spouting the current dogma around this flawed concept or do you genuinely believe it?!...

want to know where you came from ... ask your parents... they may, (or may not, as the case may be), have some idea... want to know who you are?... look in a mirror...

my heritage says *nothing* about my individual existence.. nothing. why would it?... if i can't stand by my personal value system, why would the fake one provided by those around me be any different?...
Last edited by rustypup on 29 May 2007, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
capanno

Post by capanno »

Hear hear. People have the right to hold onto tradition and heritage, but thats where most problems spawn from! Racism being the poster child. Its dangerous to hang onto them too tightly, like tradition and habits, it replaces rational reasoning and thinking.
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
DuncanMcCloud

Post by DuncanMcCloud »

rustypup wrote:
PaperCut wrote:There's black people who speak English and have no idea who they really are or where they come from (heritage)
with all due respect, that statement is as flawed as they come. are you just spouting the current dogma around this flawed concept or do you genuinely believe it?!...

want to know where you came from ... ask your parents... they may, (or may not, as the case may be), have some idea... want to know who you are?... look in a mirror...

my heritage says *nothing* about my individual existence.. nothing. why would it?... if i can't stand by my personal value system, why would the fake one provided by those around me be any different?...
Just cause my dad's afrikaans does that mean im an apartheid racist now? :crazy:

I dont care where my grand parents came from, thats irrelevant to me. How would that impact my daily living? Totally ridiculous.
PaperCut

Post by PaperCut »

rustypup wrote:
I have come across people who give you a different answer each time you ask them about their culture/traditions/heritage anything. To a point where they hardly say anything when discussions about tradition/culture comes up. That's why I said, they have no idea. As a result, they grab onto the next big thing... in this case being something they are not (fake hair, fake accent fake everything).

trust me I know people like this.

That's from personal experience. I'm sorry if it's sounds cliche...
:roll:
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

rustypup wrote:

I agree. One of the only posts that makes actual sense these last few tripe filled pages... :lol:
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

PaperCut wrote: As a result, they grab onto the next big thing... in this case being something they are not (fake hair, fake accent fake everything).
:roll:
Dang, and the real Hyundai Accent isn't even that expensive... Where do they get theirs? What price?

:lol:
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
capanno

Post by capanno »

PaperCut wrote:That's why I said, they have no idea. As a result, they grab onto the next big thing... in this case being something they are not (fake hair, fake accent fake everything).
If they have no idea, then they don't belong anywhere. How can they be something they are not, when they aren't something in the first place?

Just joking. :P :lol:
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
thealluseless

Post by thealluseless »

Just cause my dad's afrikaans does that mean im an apartheid racist now? I dont care where my grand parents came from, thats irrelevant to me. How would that impact my daily living
no, but some ppl will still have prejudice against u simply because u have an afr surname/accent/name.

because of the history of our country, afr ppl might have a bad rep, and that affects u constantly. if u think what ur parents did, how they raised u or even what other afrikaans ppl have done, does not affect u, ur living in a lil dreamworld where u think everyone is non-prejudice and will base their thoughts solely on who u are at that moment.

what other ppl of the same race/ethnicity do, currently or ages in the past, will reflect on u now. Try as hard as u want, u will be stereotyped. its sad, but deal with it....
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
PaperCut

Post by PaperCut »

capanno wrote:
PaperCut wrote:That's why I said, they have no idea. As a result, they grab onto the next big thing... in this case being something they are not (fake hair, fake accent fake everything).
If they have no idea, then they don't belong anywhere. How can they be something they are not, when they aren't something in the first place?

Just joking. :P :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

PaperCut wrote:I'm sorry if it's sounds cliche...
no apologies necessary... and my respect for keeping the discussion so civil...

surely you would agree that societies which polarise around cultural collusions, or inherited traits, naturally become exclusionary?... it's almost built in... what is perfectly acceptable in one is considered an abomination in the other, and suddenly THEY become WIERD or EVIL or NOT OUR KIND.

by clinging to the past, we are sacrificing what little time we have to move forward as a species... there is already evidence that humanity is stagnating... i consider it retarded that so many people can spend so much of their time distrusting each other, when the source of the mistrust is their own flawed, or narrow minded, perception of each other... it would be laughable if it weren't so sad...

let's think about the absurdity in that before espousing the 'perceived' benefits in retaining a 'cultural heritage'... it's a misnomer... progress comes when we overturn established beliefs/routines/concepts. this has nothing to do with 'disrespecting our elders'... it has to do with common sense...

as an uncultured child, i had no frame of reference for differentiating between races or cultures... it was only when my 'cultural heritage' was thrust upon me that i received these biases, (i like to think i ignored the bulk of them, because they simply made no sense, but i was suddenly made aware of them).
thealluseless

Post by thealluseless »

@ rusty i see where u are coming from....but ur seriously hoping for something thats not gonna happen. not anytime soon at least....

progress comes when we overturn established beliefs/routines/concepts
i agree we need to move forward, but by overturning past routines/concepts i think is a little bit radical,
besides most people are happy with the way things are, they are happy running around doing what they do, if u introduce new concepts that are too radical or out there, or try take away things that are deeply inveined in them, u r seriously gonna have a problem. Ppl dont like to accept change to easily.

there is a fine line between clinging to the past and learning from it.....history is not completely useless.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

What an utopian existence :!: Remotely possible maybe, reality, never?
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

thealluseless wrote:Ppl dont like to accept change to easily.
sad but true... there again, we need to understand why this is... indifference?.. or are we, as a species, simply content to remain in a vegetative state, (i have a strong suspicion this may be the case)...

@lancelot: utopian? not quite... there will always be problems... my point is that we spend more time focused on something which, for all intents and purposes, exists between the ears, than we do on problems which exist in the real world. we are so susceptible, in fact, that we would spend money to change the name of a street before we spent it on a house for someone in dire need... that, right there, is where this sort of idiocy leads... we sacrifice our humanity to it...

ok, ok... i get it's a pipe dream that everyone will wake up at the same time and go "oh, well, that's just silly", but it bugs me that so few are capable, (or should that be 'willing' to), of getting even that far...
Last edited by rustypup on 29 May 2007, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
thealluseless

Post by thealluseless »

there again, we need to understand why this is... indifference?.. or are we, as a species, simply content to remain in a vegetative state, (i have a strong suspicion this may be the case)...
its a comfort thing i think...go with what u know.

most humans are very content to just cruise along, and those with the will to change things, either have no conviction to follow through and just complain about how stupid everyone is, or start climbing a ladder and get sidetracked......

reform happens so slowly in the modern world its frightening.
that we would spend money to change the name of a street before we spent it on a house for someone in dire need... that, right there, is where this sort of idiocy leads... we sacrifice our humanity to it...
could not agree more, there comes a point when ppl need to build a frikkin bridge, and dust the chip off their shoulder.

and instead of doing high publicity acts to try gain mass appeal, we need to start thinking about how to move forward....the past is not gonna change, no matter how much paint u cover it with
PaperCut

Post by PaperCut »

thealluseless wrote:
that we would spend money to change the name of a street before we spent it on a house for someone in dire need... that, right there, is where this sort of idiocy leads... we sacrifice our humanity to it...
could not agree more, there comes a point when ppl need to build a frikkin bridge, and dust the chip off their shoulder.

and instead of doing high publicity acts to try gain mass appeal, we need to start thinking about how to move forward....the past is not gonna change, no matter how much paint u cover it with
That's exactly what I was saying in that 'name changes" thread.

there's so much that REALLY needs to be changed for South Africans as a people to progress that for some reason, they get sidetracked by unimportant stuff. I mean what does a different name do for the people??

nothing.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

PaperCut wrote:what does a different name do for the people??
apparently, it has something to do with cultural heritage... which must make you stop and think... if only for a bit :lol:
thealluseless

Post by thealluseless »

apparently, it has something to do with cultural heritage... which must make you stop and think... if only for a bit
cheap shot....i saw it coming
PaperCut

Post by PaperCut »

rustypup wrote:
PaperCut wrote:what does a different name do for the people??
apparently, it has something to do with cultural heritage... which must make you stop and think... if only for a bit :lol:
:lol: :lol:

This is whole thread has ran so far away from the original topic it's not even funny... :)

I'm lead to believe we've explored every single aspect of race in this thread alone. From dating to cultures to heritage to racism to street names...

It's been crazy...

:biggrin:
Ark
Processor: E4400
Graphics card: 8800GTX
Memory: 4GB DDR2

Post by Ark »

Oi!! Thanks to whoever fixed my sig! :D
16-bit Corpse
Spoiler: (show)
I like scrota.
thealluseless

Post by thealluseless »

This is whole thread has ran so far away from the original topic it's not even funny...

I'm lead to believe we've explored every single aspect of race in this thread alone. From dating to cultures to heritage to racism to street names...

It's been crazy...
and no one has changed their opinions, what a surprise....
stubborn stubborn ppl, why cant they just do what i say!!!!
PaperCut

Post by PaperCut »

Ark wrote:Oi!! Thanks to whoever fixed my sig! :D
great, now all I see is a red X. thanx a lot whoever! :roll:

:lol: