the (mainly) non-Christians thread.

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
RiaX

Re: the (mainly) non-Christians thread.

Post by RiaX »

interesting points there, however who said god has to be a sentient being?

The biggest flaw i have with christianity is the concept of "eternity", nothing lasts forever.

As for jesus i dont think it would be fair to say where is the proof, yes we have evidence of ancients through the monuments and cities they have built over time the research in science and mathematics documented proves their existance however to prove that jesus exists is to prove that a mere citizen existed and thats impossible because you would have to find the actual body, even if you find that body there is no way to validate it.
chowzen

Post by chowzen »

Riax
I understand where you are coming from - but for some-one that changed so much, there most certainly has to be proof that he existed. Come on, he changed the world right?
It is the Tea pot fallacy.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Good questions chowzen! I will respond this evening (really this time). ;)
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

The biggest flaw i have with christianity is the concept of "eternity", nothing lasts forever.
Even cold November rain?
who created the creator?
Probably one of the biggest holes with 'God'.

Monty Pythons Life of Brian is such a brilliant movie because it's entirely satirical at the life of Jesus but with an underlining point of how he could 'just be this guy you know'. The best bit is when he jumps into the hole with the guy who took a vowel of silence. Claiming that he hadn't spoken a word for a frikken long time until Brian came a long, which is hailed as a miracle, has nothing to do with his abilities or status with his followers.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

chowzen wrote:Riax
I understand where you are coming from - but for some-one that changed so much, there most certainly has to be proof that he existed. Come on, he changed the world right?
It is the Tea pot fallacy.
Even if there is that would prove that a man named Jesus exists not the son of god
chowzen

Post by chowzen »

JollyJamma
cool - should watch it. :)

Riax
Proof is in the pudding. The proof that we are always referring to is not for the man. If I need to find Jesus, I just walk into the Mexican Embassy here in PTA ( no offense, they are my clients, there really is a guy with a name like that). The proof is som sort of documentation of any of the miracles, any at all, but not scripture.
Tea Pot Fallacy.
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

There are no such things as miracles in a divine sense, so there will be no evidence
jee

Post by jee »

RiaX wrote:There are no such things as miracles in a divine sense, so there will be no evidence
how sure are you of that statement?
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

jee wrote:
RiaX wrote:There are no such things as miracles in a divine sense, so there will be no evidence
how sure are you of that statement?
Pretty sure, hitting a tree in a car and coming out unscaythed isnt a miracle, its luck people often confuse the two.

When i say miracle i mean like water turning into wine or something on that level
jee

Post by jee »

i suppose that one only believe such things if one has experience it... ;)
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

jee wrote:i suppose that one only believe such things if one has experience it... ;)
I've experienced it there isnt a light there isnt a force holding you its just the strength of the human body at its full potential, which we tend to underestimate
jee

Post by jee »

i'm not just talking about your car analogy. I'm talking about miracles. all sorts.
Prime

Post by Prime »

No such thing as miracles, just people to naive to give science a chance to explain it :P
jee

Post by jee »

we will agree to disagree Prime my little rose bud :D
Prime

Post by Prime »

jee wrote:we will agree to disagree Prime my little rose bud :D
By all means :P

But I've been on that side of the fence...anyway.
jee

Post by jee »

Aahh Prime my little coconut ball, Christianity cannot claim miracles as belonging only to it. ;)
Prime

Post by Prime »

jee wrote:Aahh Prime my little coconut ball, Christianity cannot claim miracles as belonging only to it. ;)
No it can't but I'll paint them all with the same red brush in that regard. :wink:
jee

Post by jee »

red is such an exciting colour...
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

what kind of intellectual flirting is this?
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Guys, I was busy with a long response when the power went out. Now my PC won't start up. Think it's the PSU. Thankfully I was backing up as I went along and most of it is preserved in a Word file. Not sure when I will be able to finish it though.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Prime

Post by Prime »

jee wrote:red is such an exciting colour...
It's the colour of love and anger. isn't that ironic :lol:
Prime

Post by Prime »

KALSTER wrote:Guys, I was busy with a long response when the power went out. Now my PC won't start up. Think it's the PSU. Thankfully I was backing up as I went along and most of it is preserved in a Word file. Not sure when I will be able to finish it though.
Damn, that sucks. :(

Was eager to see your response.
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

KALSTER wrote:Guys, I was busy with a long response when the power went out. Now my PC won't start up. Think it's the PSU. Thankfully I was backing up as I went along and most of it is preserved in a Word file. Not sure when I will be able to finish it though.
once happend to me, but firefox restored the session with my post intact !
jee

Post by jee »

Prime wrote:
jee wrote:red is such an exciting colour...
It's the colour of love and anger. isn't that ironic :lol:
yip, Cupid and the Devil in one... now that is one colour that describes me purrfectly :twisted:
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

KALSTER wrote:Now my PC won't start up.
it's a miracle! :lol:

question: why is it that a random sequence of events that ends in a benefit for the protagonist is a miracle, whereas if it ends in injury it's bad luck?.... surely both are miracles?...

in which case, if you succumb to a "bad" miracle, it means the sky-man has it in for you....
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel