Lambo Vs Citigolf (Bandwidth Warning)

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

GreyWolf wrote:There was a guy in a Muircelago, who bowed out precisely because his car was losing body panels.
That's the VW engineering shining through.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

jamin_za wrote:
Hex_Rated wrote:They can use forensic ballistics to work it out. High profile case like this will get skidmarks measured + damage and everything taken into consideration by a proper ballistics expert. They should be able to work out the approximate speeds.
SAPS JHB != CSI Miami
It's not that difficult. After a serious accident they always mark off where the cars ended up.

Demonstration of the accuracy of ballistics: when I was a kid, me and my cousin where trying to shoot his neighbours chimney with a BB gun (zinc ball pellets), the BBs that missed traveled about 200m across a few blocks (think it was 3 streets down) and took out someone's toilet window. They got the cops in and they traced it to exactly where we were standing, this must have been in the early 90's maybe even late 80's. The gun got taken away for a few months.

Ballistics are quite accurate, especially in a high profile case like the Diablo accident. Just because there was a lot of media coverage they'll get experts.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Hman wrote:
GreyWolf wrote:There was a guy in a Muircelago, who bowed out precisely because his car was losing body panels.
no, that's basic supercar. also, how can you knock VW engineering? they built the Veyron.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Spicy-McHaggis

Post by Spicy-McHaggis »

GreyWolf wrote:
Hman wrote:
no, that's basic supercar. also, how can you knock VW engineering? they built the Veyron.
They still suck!
Monty wrote:
Spicy-McHaggis wrote:that couldnt have been lambo @ 200km/h!

would have looked worse! that nose is to good looking still for those speeds!
The main damage is to the side of the lambo... So it looks like it hit the golf side on. That lambo doesn't look like it hit anything with its front end
what i was saying is that should the VTroubleyou have hit the Lambo at 200 it would have ended up different :) :wink:
Hapy happy happy
Back in NL...
LordRage

Post by LordRage »

Hex_Rated wrote:Supercars are built for the track, those things crash at ridiculous speeds and the driver gets out unhurt, they are built to dissolve in a crash and absorb the impact energy, although I think the roll cage probably plays a big part. Also if this kid hit the golf head on at that speed, I don't even think a roll cage will help. That would be a massive chance of death. Those cars normally end up only in tyre walls at 300km/hr.
Sorry to say this but Supercars are not built for the track. They are built for the road. If they were built for the track you wouldnt get supercar manufacturers building track cars.

I will give you a small example. The F430:
F430 - Road car
F430 Scuderia - Track focused Road car (Still a car designed ultimately for the road with ability to go on a track)
F430 Challenge - Track car (Not legal on our roads)

For example the F430 and Scuderia have no roll cage, both are not allowed to use Slicks (it will mess up the car because of the electronics) etc etc.

Now lambo's are really Road cars with lets call them "race car characteristics" (borrowed from the link below) which is NOT the same as a car built for the track. An eg of cars built for the track :
Lamborghini Diablo GTR
Lamborghini Diablo GT1
Lamborghini Diablo GT2

In fact to save you time here is one of my favourite sites:
http://www.lamborghiniregistry.com/Diablo/

Now go see how few RACING diablos were actually made.

A true race car (built for a track) is not going to drive well (read comfortably) on a road (The suspension will break you back, the car wont make it over small humps). Just because a car is fast (eg Veyron) does NOT mean they were built for a track (eg Veyron). They are road cars. You can take your supercar on a track, but you wont be able to stay on the track as long as a proper race car (eg brakes etc)

A normal supercar would have to be modified to be called a track car.

EDIT: Actually a scuderia does have a roll cage (but the slicks prove its not a race car)
Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity. (Karl Marx)
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Lambo Diablo is a very uncomfortable car on the normal road. You can't drive it as an everyday car. I think he even had a limited edition special version. Most buyers buy them to show off, use them on track days and keep them as investment cars with low production numbers. I think the suspension / slip dif is even built to be easily adjustable.

Nevertheless I'd rather be in a Diablo than a Citi for an accident. It's probably even safer then a 5 series BMW / E class merc. The diablo is a large car (longish wheel base and very wide but close to the ground), basic physics dictates light but strong carbon fiber used in a long car will be better than a small car with less room to crunch in an accident experiencing as a result more G-forces.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Diablo as a track car
Source: wikipedia
Diablo VT (Ver. 1), Diablo VT Roadster and Diablo VT Roadster R
Diablo VT coupe
Diablo VT coupe

After three years of making minor adjustments to the Diablo, Lamborghini decided in 1993 that a second, even more specialized version of the car could add new customers to the brand. Starting with the basic Diablo platform, Lamborghini engineers added a viscous-coupling type all-wheel-drive system, an improved power steering system, resized front wheels and tires chosen to work better with the all-wheel-drive system, four-piston Brembo brake calipers, an updated dashboard design and a new computerized suspension system featuring aggressively tuned Koni shock absorbers. The suspension system could be left in "auto" mode where it was controlled entirely by the computer, or any of four separate "modes" could be manually selected by the driver via buttons in the cabin. The vehicle still lacked ABS brakes. Lamborghini had presented an open-topped concept version of the VT (Viscous Traction) at the 1992 Geneva Auto Show alongside the coupé when the car debuted there, but it was another 3 years before the model saw production. Other than its removable Targa-style carbon fiber roof panel, the vehicle was essentially identical to the coupé, with only a few minor styling differences, mainly in regards to the tail lights between the two models.

In order to bring additional publicity to their pro-am series in 1997, there was a roadster version of the SVR, called VT Roadster R, despite being based on an SVR chassis with everything that its racecar variant has and lacking the four wheel drive system of the VT.[1]

[edit] Diablo SE30 and Diablo SE30 Jota
Lamborghini Diablo SE30
Lamborghini Diablo SE30

A lightened, hard-edged racing variant of the standard Diablo, the SE30 was sold in limited numbers during 1994 to celebrate Lamborghini's 30th anniversary. The 'SE' stands for Special Edition.

In total just 150 cars were made, eight of which were right hand drive (RHD). In 1995 Lamborghini introduced the SE30 Jota; the Jota was produced from the Lamborghini factory but SE30 owners also had the option of having Lamborghini upgrade their SE30 to Jota specifications. The Jota upgrade consisted of two roof mounted air scoops, a re-tuned L.I.E. chip and a six-speed all-synchromesh gearbox if the Diablo was made at the Lamborghini factory. With these upgrades in place the Diablo SE30 Jota could produce 595 bhp, 72 more than the SE30's 523 bhp (390 kW/530 PS). In total only 28 Jota upgrade kits were made but 1 of these was not installed. Contradictory to this, it is believed that only 12 Jotas were actually made (10 in LHD, 2 in RHD); this figure may have come from the number of models made by Lamborghini itself. As an interesting side note about the Jota, Jay Kay (lead singer of Jamiroquai), featured the sound of this car in the intro to a track, called "Travelling without moving" on the band's album of the same name.

The car went without most of the Diablo's standard equipment, meaning that it was devoid of a radio, air-conditioning or sound insulation and featured carbon fiber molded seats, helping to make it 125 kilograms (276 lb) lighter than the standard car. Lamborghini chose to do without the VT's advanced electronic suspension or all-wheel-drive systems, but the car did get an advanced adjustment system controlled with an interior dial that could instantaneously adjust the stiffness of the car's front and rear anti-roll bars. They also enlarged the brake discs of all four wheels, but the car still lacked ABS.

[edit] Diablo SV
Lamborghini Diablo SV
Lamborghini Diablo SV

The SV or "Sport Veloce" variant of the Diablo was an optional add-on package to the base car. It lacked the VT's all-wheel-drive system and electronic suspension, but it featured the VT's revised dashboard and larger brakes, a new 3-piece adjustable spoiler and was powered by a modified version of the 5.7-litre V12 producing 510 hp (380 kW/517 PS). The car's air intakes were slightly differently shaped, and from 1999 onwards the vehicle had exposed headlamps as opposed to the pop-up units previous versions used.

Tuning company Koenig-Specials of Germany produced a tuned variant of the SV featuring further suspension modifications, massive brakes and a twin-turbocharger system, boosting the car's output to over 800 hp (597 kW/811 PS).

[edit] Diablo SVR

Unveiled at the 1996 Geneva Salon, the SVR variant is a lightweight competition version of the SV, built for its pro-am one make series known as Diablo Supertrophy, which was intended to run for three years, with its inaugural round held as the support race to the 1996 24 Hours of Le Mans.[2]

The SVR is 191 kg (421 lb) less than the SV (1,385 kg (3,053 lb)) and boasts 540 hp (403 kW/547 PS), mainly of a revised fuel injection timing and is the first Diablo to use variable valve timing. There are numerous noticeable cosmetic differences, the covered lights or sometimes is used in place of its usual retractable headlights. Other cosmetic differences includes, a deeper front spoiler, side skirts and a redesigned rear valance. Also the most visible modification is a fully adjustable rear aerofoil, lightweight acrylic side windows are used in place of a glass items and a set of 18-inch OZ Racing one-piece hollow spoke cast magnesium wheels[3] Each car sold, came with a seasons factory support and an entry to the one-make series. All repairs and maintenance was carried out by Lamborghini themselves.[3]
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
Vista Ultimate x64
LordRage

Post by LordRage »

Did you even read what I wrote. The Diablo that was in the accident was a road car. Supercars are ROADCARS!! Then you get track specific cars. I also gave you a nice link, which you obviously never followed. Lets use your cars as examples...

Diablo SVR (31 Made 1996)
Diablo VT-R (3 Made)
The SE30 has 150

I will quote myself quickly:
An eg of cars built for the track :
Lamborghini Diablo GTR
Lamborghini Diablo GT1
Lamborghini Diablo GT2

I never said there werent racing versions of supercars. What you will notice is that the Diablo is a road going car, not designed for the track, then they make a few racing versions. (Again as I said they may have Race car characteristics, but only a select few were actually TRACK CARS).

The fact that this guy had a "limited edition" Diablo means nothing, what it means is that you dont know much about Diablos (I do not mean this as an insult, its just that each model of the diablo was out for a little while and each diablo only had a few made, some 400, some 1, so saying it was limited edition is really just stating the obvious) This stands true regarding a normal Diablo or an anniversary edition, or a special edition.

I really am not going to reply again about this, because if you think that all supercars are track cars then you dont know anything about supercars. Your statement was:
Supercars are built for the track
That is incorrect. If you had said SOME supercars are built for the track, then it would have been correct.
Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity. (Karl Marx)
LordRage

Post by LordRage »

Dont know if anyone has read this and from the inconsistencies in the story who knows what is true and what is not true:
Robbie Mthombeni, Top Security area manager, said there was thick mist on the morning of the accident, and vehicle tracking records indicated that Ncube was travelling at 40km/h and Scott about 220km/h when their vehicles collided.
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1 ... 884C395938
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

SAPS JHB != CSI Miami
I think its rather

http://www.pcformat.co.za/modules.php?n ... 3&start=75

=

CSI Miami

:lol:
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

LordRage wrote:Did you even read what I wrote. The Diablo that was in the accident was a road car. Supercars are ROADCARS!! Then you get track specific cars. I also gave you a nice link, which you obviously never followed. Lets use your cars as examples...

Diablo SVR (31 Made 1996)
Diablo VT-R (3 Made)
The SE30 has 150

I will quote myself quickly:
An eg of cars built for the track :
Lamborghini Diablo GTR
Lamborghini Diablo GT1
Lamborghini Diablo GT2

I never said there werent racing versions of supercars. What you will notice is that the Diablo is a road going car, not designed for the track, then they make a few racing versions. (Again as I said they may have Race car characteristics, but only a select few were actually TRACK CARS).

The fact that this guy had a "limited edition" Diablo means nothing, what it means is that you dont know much about Diablos (I do not mean this as an insult, its just that each model of the diablo was out for a little while and each diablo only had a few made, some 400, some 1, so saying it was limited edition is really just stating the obvious) This stands true regarding a normal Diablo or an anniversary edition, or a special edition.

Supercars are built for the track
That is incorrect. If you had said SOME supercars are built for the track, then it would have been correct.
How many diablo's were built for the track. Out of 3,000 that total.

OK SOME supercars are built for the track. Including Diablos, McLaren F1, Enzo's. Even the some of the "standard" Diablos have easily adjustable suspension, no air con or ABS. Why is this? They are all bred for the track with some modifications to make them more road friendly and street legal. They can't put racing exhausts on or roll cages to meet legal specifications, not because they aren't designed with mostly racing/track days in mind.

Since you know so much, what Diablo was that kid driving? Did you not see how many variants of Diablo's are made with racing in mind.

Doesn't say anything about the various other Diablos on that list that were designed for the AMA track competitions. There is nothing to say that the Diablos quoted in the wiki article as being used as track cars in that link. Only the GT spec cars which compete in different competitions.

I never said the F430 was built for the track and I never said you can race any supercar without some mods, once again they are designed with track racing in mind.

The BMW M3 CSL is also an example of a race bred car which is street legal. Put slicks on and a roll cage and tweak the engine/exhaust and LSD slightly and you're ready to take it around the Nurburgring with faster times than a slightly modified Skyline R32/R33 (another car designed with racing in mind) as long as they have similar horsepower and the Skylines aren't pushing out stupid figures like 800bhp.
I really am not going to reply again about this, because if you think that all supercars are track cars then you dont know anything about supercars. Your statement was:
BAWWWWWWW! :cry:
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
Vista Ultimate x64
Spicy-McHaggis

Post by Spicy-McHaggis »

Aston MArtin is classed as supercar for its power and thats not a track car?

(and yet i dont c it a s supercar but luxury for small membered men and small breasted woman!)

but the Astons are so gorgeous!
Hapy happy happy
Back in NL...