Merc SL65 AMG Black edition...quite fast and mean.

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Frozenfireside

Merc SL65 AMG Black edition...quite fast and mean.

Post by Frozenfireside »

It's a rocket for the road and track: this Merc SL65 AMG hit 100km/h in 3.8 seconds.

Based on a highly modified and lightened version of the company's SL roadster, the new SL65 AMG Black Series coupe features a carbon-fibre fixed roof, front fenders, hood, trunk lid and front and rear aprons. With all these super-strong, lightweight parts, plus the absence of retractable roof hardware, the car is more than 250kg lighter than the standard SL.

A bolder look

With its flatter roof, broader front fenders (nearly 15cm wider), large air intakes in the front apron and hood, a rear apron with air diffuser fins and retractable rear spoiler, the new SL65 AMG looks bolder from all angles.

Weight-optimised AMG forged alloy wheels feature an unusual staggered diameter and width: 9.5 x 19 inches up front and 11.5 x 20 in the rear, with 265 / 35 19 tyres in front and 325 / 30 20 tyres at the rear. Vented and perforated composite ceramic brake discs are clearly visible through the filigree of the AMG double-spoke wheels — front discs are more than 15 inches in diameter, with six-piston fixed calipers to slow them down, and the rear are 14 inches, with four-piston fixed calipers.

An all-black interior goes for the no-nonsense functionality of a race car. Carbon-fibre bucket seats upholstered in Nappa leather with AMG embossed in the head restraints provide lateral support in fast turns, and a smaller (by 15mm) AMG Performance steering wheel is fitted with aluminium shift paddles for manual shifting. A white tachometer with four integral LEDs alerts the driver about optimal shift points, and a contrasting black speedometer reads to 225mph.

More twin-turbo power

The 6.0-litre AMG V12 engine has been modified to produce more than 485kW and 1000Nm of torque. Its twin turbochargers are 12 percent larger, passages for intake air and the turbo wastegates have been modified, and the intake air intercooler is 30 percent more efficient. The result is zero-to-100km/h acceleration of 3.8 seconds, and an electronically limited top speed of 316km/h.

Integrated within the trunk lid, a rear spoiler automatically raises nearly 12.5cm whenever the car reaches about 120km/h, creating downforce on the tail of the car at high speeds. From the rear, the most eye-catching feature is its new carbon-fibre apron with air diffuser ribs. Hidden within it is an active cooling system for the final drive and 40-percent locking differential.

The SL656 AMG Black series uses a beefed-up five-speed automatic transmission with AMG's SpeedShift Plus shift control that provides four shift modes: "C", "S", "M1" and "M2", which has 25 percent quicker shift times than "M1". The torque converter's lockup clutch assures direct shifting in all shifting scenarios, right from first gear, while an AMG automatic "throttle-blipping" feature makes downshifting smooth yet exciting, even in power-on turns.

And AMG has developed a fully adjustable sport suspension for the Black Series. Adjustable coil-spring struts allows fine tuning of shock absorber jounce and rebound, ride height and wheel alignment.

Spring links camber struts, push-pull rods and wheel carriers have been specially developed for this vehicle. Track width is nearly 10cm wider on the new Black Series car. A three-stage ESP feature provides outstanding driving dynamics. With ESP on, the system senses understeer or oversteer and applies the brakes on one wheel to counteract the slide. In the "ESP Sport" mode, the driver can purposely slide the car to its limit of control before the system reacts, while in "ESP off", the system is fully turned off.
Niiiiice. Just what the oil price needed X-(
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
Keigo

Post by Keigo »

I like I want I can't afford... :lol: :lol: :lol:
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Please post the tomato sauce.
to ápeiro anima
PaperCut

Post by PaperCut »

looks mean!
/. Image /. Image /. Image /. Image /.
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Beautiful machine.

I wonder why they decided to limit the top speed to 316km/h (200mph)? I mean surely anything over 250km/h (the current german manufacturers agreement) is hideously quick and whether you're doing 270 or 316 or 350 the end result when you smear yourself up against a truck is going to be rather graphic. Why not just let it rev out in top gear?
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

I like the new merc designs-they are certainly more interesting then the BMWs and really set themselves apart. Nice one.
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

I read somewhere else that this car can actually do about 360km/h But is limited to 316km/h.

Smear yourself over a truck at 360km/h... What a way to go :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Frozen, please give me the source of that article, I want to show my brother who believes the M6 will give any car Merc can produce....waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha!

Anyway, please post the link.
to ápeiro anima
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Back in black I hit the sack I've been too long I'm glad to be back [I bet you know I'm...] Yes, I'm let loose From the noose

There is no way an M6 could keep up with this, in either the performance or looks department.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

omfg... drool.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

And with a 1001Nm torque it will probably end up in a ditch :D

But none the less, that car looks great.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

CLK black edition which if you had read the may Topgear as I have is fast, pretty, well made, rides better then most other cars and makes a high end Ferrari 2nd best.
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Looks like a Jetta though.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

I34z1k wrote:Looks like a Jetta though.
And has a 6.2L engine with 6.3 written on the side, LOL

And Frozen, exactly which Ferrari are you talking about? A 1985 Testarossa?
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

oh but what fun you will have before the impact....
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

WiK1d wrote:
I34z1k wrote:Looks like a Jetta though.
And has a 6.2L engine with 6.3 written on the side, LOL
Not doubting the speed and such, but it still looks like a Jetta to me :\

Any idea on the designer or design team?