Slayers Revolution (First Impressions)

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
larch

Slayers Revolution (First Impressions)

Post by larch »

It is a world of fantasy, where magic reigns and monsters lurk, then there’s Lina Inverse! A cute, fireball-throwing sorceress who steals from the wicked and gives to herself! Along with Gourry, a handsome but not-so-smart swordsman, Lina faces the uncanny as she seeks fame and fortune. This is the fourth anime television series in the Slayers fantasy comedy franchise, and is slated for a 26 episode run.

This series totally sneaked up on me, to be honest I did not even know they where planning a fourth series in the franchise, not that I am complaining since I am a big Slayers fan since the first series back in 1995. So before I start, take note if you aren’t a Slayers fan give this a pass as the humor and animation style is a acquired taste. If you willing to give this a try I suggest you go find yourself the original series and movies before watching the new series.

God I can believe it has been 13 years since I watched the first Slayers series back in 1995 I feel like an old man. What has changed in the last 13 years since the first show, well I am glad to report absolutely nothing. And that is the way it should be why mess with a winning formula in the first place, not to mention the fact that this will make all the die hard Slayers fans extremely happy, me being one of those fans.

Still don’t believe me well take a look at the animation style, it is exactly the same as the very first series 13 years back, only difference now is the colors and animation is more vivid and the action sequences have been given the CG touch. You will also be glad to hear that most of the original voice actors have made there return for this series including Megumi Hayashibara. Who makes her return as Lina Inverse a sorceress with a big mouth and ego to boot, not to mention a complex about her flat chest. She also sings the opening theme song for the new series, talented lady I tell you.

And yes Gourry Gabriev also makes his return as the wandering swordsman who appears to have serious memory deficit along with ADD. The rest of the Slayer cast makes there appearance during the course of the first episode, talk about a serious case of deja vu. Not to mention a mysterious sorcerer makes his appearance, which seems to be equal in skill level than Lina Inverse.

Having lost the Sword of Light in the previous battle, Lina and Gourry continue their journey in search of a replacement weapon. On the way, the two of them meet up with Amelia and Zelgadis in the kingdom of Luvinagard while taunting some pirates. Lina is happy to reunite with her old friends, but appearing before her is Luvinagard’s Inspector of the Special Investigative Unit; a man called Wizer.

Episode 1 of Slayers Revolution was pure awesomeness, especially if you are a die hard fan of the franchise like me. It takes all the elements we love from the old series gives it a new coat of paint and a new story, and throws it at you and it does not disappoint. Fast paced action combine with a fantasy world setting and the ever so popular Slayer gags, makes for a highly entertaining show.

And before I leave…

Gourry’s Broken Sword Running Gag…

Is the funniest thing ever and makes the show even more entertaining. LOL!