Bash a pc shop. Recommend a Pc shop.

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
pofadder

Post by pofadder »

Good service: Buycomputers.co.za (delivery, service, feedback) – bought most of my PC gear from them, without any hassles.

Good / Fair service: Kalahari.net, although, I only buy games and DVD’s and music from them.

Bad service: Matrix warehouse (Benoni) – had an incident with an item I purchased – still hasn’t been resolved. Also, Incredible Deception (any) – I’ll only buy games there, as the prices are usually in the ballpark. The rest is overpriced!

Last resort store: Matrix warehouse (Benoni) – only go there if you know EXACTLY what you are looking for, as their prices are somewhat market related (IMO).

Won’t consider store: Digital Planet – I tried getting a quote for an item once, but that went down like salted mopani worms.

Eye-candy store: PC Game World in Menlyn – nice parts on display, but that’s about all.

For-a-joke store: Go to the “PC shop” in Springbok – you’ll think Incredible Connection is sure bliss. (Even pulling all your own teeth out with plumber’s pliers is considered more humane treatment)

Never-tried store: Sybaritic, Take2, GT Games
[Q8200│Asus mobo│4Gb Kingmax Ram│BFG 8800GT Sli│Corsair 750W PSU│X-Fi Sound│Samsung 22 inch]
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

Well pofadder, you missing some gr8 service from Sybaritic... Would definitely recommend them...

Then also Prophecy who at this point seems to get recommendations above Sybaritic...

Bash: Home PC close to us... Why? The mother phones them and asks for a PCMCIA Gigabit card... I wrote that specifically so that she could just plain straight forward ask that and they would tell her yes they have or not... What happens? The guy asks her if it is for a laptop and then tells her that the gigabit is a cable... WTF???

Am I missing something here or is there actually PCMCIA cards for a normal PC? If there is then I can understand that part, but saying to her that gigabit is a cable...
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
lmm
Location: On Cloud nine with bright shining stars and happy smiles.

Post by lmm »

lmm wrote:ConnecTech computers- Hillcrest, Great service, great prices and very helpful.
and the staff are good looking! :D
ask Anakha 56...
ok i change my mind on this one...

they lost all there good staff and now it sucks...

ask me i know.
:cry:
Love means to commit oneself without guarantee, to give oneself completely in the hope that our love will produce love in the loved person. Love is an act of faith, and whoever is of little faith is also of little love.- Erich Fromm

Lady LMM of Camelot
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Off-The-Chart wrote:Well pofadder, you missing some gr8 service from Sybaritic... Would definitely recommend them...

Then also Prophecy who at this point seems to get recommendations above Sybaritic...

Bash: Home PC close to us... Why? The mother phones them and asks for a PCMCIA Gigabit card... I wrote that specifically so that she could just plain straight forward ask that and they would tell her yes they have or not... What happens? The guy asks her if it is for a laptop and then tells her that the gigabit is a cable... WTF???

Am I missing something here or is there actually PCMCIA cards for a normal PC? If there is then I can understand that part, but saying to her that gigabit is a cable...
Home PC is teh sucky sucky...I can vouch for that
pofadder

Post by pofadder »

Off-The-Chart wrote:Well pofadder, you missing some gr8 service from Sybaritic... Would definitely recommend them...
Will give them a try, thanks! :wink:
[Q8200│Asus mobo│4Gb Kingmax Ram│BFG 8800GT Sli│Corsair 750W PSU│X-Fi Sound│Samsung 22 inch]
HuNtingGoof

Post by HuNtingGoof »

lmm wrote:
lmm wrote:ConnecTech computers- Hillcrest, Great service, great prices and very helpful.
ask Anakha 56...

ask me i know.
Explain.. :D
lmm
Location: On Cloud nine with bright shining stars and happy smiles.

Post by lmm »

HuNtingGoof wrote:
lmm wrote:
ask Anakha 56...

ask me i know.
i used to work there.
then they "retrenched me"
well that what they called it.
Love means to commit oneself without guarantee, to give oneself completely in the hope that our love will produce love in the loved person. Love is an act of faith, and whoever is of little faith is also of little love.- Erich Fromm

Lady LMM of Camelot
HuNtingGoof

Post by HuNtingGoof »

lmm wrote:
HuNtingGoof wrote:
lmm wrote:
ask Anakha 56...

ask me i know.
i used to work there.
then they "retrenched me"
well that what they called it.
Oh.. ok.. Sorry about the retrenchment...
But there must still be hotties there..

Unless u were the hottie..? No.. can't be.. right!?
Artagra
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Artagra »

Hex_Rated wrote:Good - Sybaritic. Always quick with the orders. Good price, excellent service. Haven't ever bought anything from Prophecy because they *never* get back to you on availability. Even if you place a decent sized order and in the specific instructions ask for a lead time. I won't pay for an item only to be told it is unavailable after payment has been made. That's false advertising.
Hi Hex - I'm sorry you've had a negative experience.

We've grown very quickly and hence have obviously not been perfect - but we do try! Previously we only looked at orders once we received payment, which of course was a stupid way to do it because a lot of people do ask questions in the comments. We now read the comments for every order and get back to the clients where appropriate.

I agree that it's convenient to know what's in stock and what isn't - however just to clarify, if we can't get something we will either give you a full refund or organise an alternative.

Regards,
Artagra
qwiksilva666

Post by qwiksilva666 »

pofadder wrote:
Bad service: Matrix warehouse (Benoni) – had an incident with an item I purchased – still hasn’t been resolved. Also, Incredible Deception (any) – I’ll only buy games there, as the prices are usually in the ballpark. The rest is overpriced!

Last resort store: Matrix warehouse (Benoni) – only go there if you know EXACTLY what you are looking for, as their prices are somewhat market related (IMO).
:lol:
next time come to me at the kensington branch :D

tell me about the incident you have with them and maybe i can resolve it.
~~*Head of the Druidic Council of the Pride of Darkness*~~
AMD PhenomII X4 955
M4N98TD-EVO
ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP
8GB Corsair XMS
Antec TP 750W
M1K3

Post by M1K3 »

Hey guys. Who can recommend a good PC Shop near Jan Smuts JHB? had a client call in and they really need help. PC Shop/Techs must know advanced networking/telnet and be able to provide quick efficient service. PM if you know anyone or post on the thread.
Pino

Post by Pino »

Take2 - Ordered x 6 Valve Source Multi-player pack , All the products reached this side without any problems , And ordering went smoothly.
Jesus loves you , But you are still a n00b.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Sybaritic

Took 5 weeks to get a HDD replaced, got it back and didnt work so had to send it back. They did cover courier and credited me at the end of the day so thats the positive. There are negatives though...
Moses

Post by Moses »

Buycomputers is the only store I know of that delivers the replacement part before collecting the faulty one. Great service.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I stick to the best, them being Buy Computers, Take 2 and BT Games.
BT Games is way too expensive... And the guy didn't know what he was talking about...

A PC shop I would definitely recommend: Rox Computers in Waverley Pretoria. Great prices, excellent service, quick and knowledgeable too.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

SykomantiS wrote:Great prices
Hahahaha ha ha ha no :|
Faltzer

Post by Faltzer »

How about RAGE tech? They're service isn't the greatest but parts are really cheap! BTW never consult a dealer online or else you'll get a really bad deal from them! (really old parts for extremly high prices)
Live anime, eat anime, sleep anime... probably die from eating anime...
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination!
amd64

Post by amd64 »

sybaritic all the way :)
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

SykomantiS wrote:A PC shop I would definitely recommend: Rox Computers in Waverley Pretoria. Great prices, excellent service, quick and knowledgeable too.
Nah, i wouldn't recommend them. They're nice guys, but their prices are ridiculous...
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Chaos (Kenridge Branch, Tygervally, Cape Town)

Sold me an hdd that was in an open bag. (But sales person said it was "fine"). Upon installation I found out that the hdd was in fact used. It was already formatted and seatools tell me that it was powered on for like 40 hours.

That itself yells 2nd hand. When I went back the sales person told me that it was most likely in a test pc and just gave excuses for why it was formatted + 40hrs. The damn thing also made clicking noises but acted fine when they tested it. Sounds like they wanted to get rid of it. The whole thing smelled rotten.

Either way that spesific branch will always have a bad rep in my opinion.
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
jcd

Post by jcd »

Excellent service and prices: Cafe Viva Java in Durbanville, Capetown. The staff was helpful, knew what they were talking about. I wasnt even planning on buying a new PC, but after I saw those prices I suddenly decided my wallet was big enough. There was some probs with my mobo package, but the manager drove all the way from Claremont to bring another mobo in so they could give me my PC on time. When I got home I had some problems installing Windows. They quickly picked up a BIOS update was needed and did it all without any trouble. I'll buy from then any time again.

Cafe Viva Java
Intel Core2Duo E8200
Chaintech Nvidia 9600GT
2x 1024mb DDR2-800 Trancsend Ram
Biostar P35D2-A7 MOBO
120GB & 250GB SATA2 HDD
CoolerMaster Elite 333 case.
Road_Kill

Post by Road_Kill »

jcd wrote:Excellent service and prices: Cafe Viva Java in Durbanville, Capetown. The staff was helpful, knew what they were talking about. I wasnt even planning on buying a new PC, but after I saw those prices I suddenly decided my wallet was big enough. There was some probs with my mobo package, but the manager drove all the way from Claremont to bring another mobo in so they could give me my PC on time. When I got home I had some problems installing Windows. They quickly picked up a BIOS update was needed and did it all without any trouble. I'll buy from then any time again.

Cafe Viva Java
You lucky, I have never had anything, but horrible service from them. Their service was pathetic. It it the only time in my life that I vowed never to shop at a place again no matter what, that's how bad they were.
I want something good to die for, to make it beautifull to live - Queens of the Stone Age-Go with the flow
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Recommended:

Landmark
Ordered on the weekend (technically Monday), got my stuff on Tuesday flown up from CT to JHB. Excellent service from Andy (the rumors are true :) )

Universe-direct.co.za:
Got the a Dell monitor through them, no hassle, no fuss, no opening accounts at Dell. Took one week to get it to my door from CT (or through Dell's order system, whatever I don't care) after order. 3 year guarantee, brand new out the box, next gen, latest model 2408WFP for R6.5k which is less than what I would have paid for the Samsung 245T I was after which is inferior.

I heard they spam kings though. They haven't spammed me yet, or else I'll spam filter them if it gets too much. They also sell second hand / refurb stuff. Excellent service, email them and 1-2 hours later you get a reply. Basically the same thing I like about Sybaritic and Graeme's service.

Prophecy:
Got my Logitech G9, G15 and Corsair 750W PSU through them, took about 4 days. Still waiting for RAM, but I only ordered on the weekend so hopefully in a few days time.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Belix

Post by Belix »

Probably been mentioned before, but I still rate PC International in Randburg near Saint Stithians. Prices are usually lowest around, and they usually beat any written quote I send them. Some of the salesmen are half asleep, but the other half are super efficient.

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Belix wrote:Probably been mentioned before, but I still rate PC International in Randburg near Saint Stithians. Prices are usually lowest around, and they usually beat any written quote I send them. Some of the salesmen are half asleep, but the other half are super efficient.
Yes I agree 99.999%, but the Samsung monitor they have there is about R5.5k inc and isn't even a S-PVA panel it's TN. universe-direct had a professional level Dell 2408WFP with 3 year guarantee (unlike Samsung local 1 year) which worked out at around R6.5k. Much better deal if you're looking for a monitor. The service I got was excellent, got free shipping, it arrived about a week after the order, questions were answered very quickly. Of course you could get cheaper if you signed up with Dell, but I doubt it would be more than a few R100 and they probably aren't very interested in you if you are only buying 1 LCD, they want bulk orders. Do they even deal with the public?

The other Samsung 24" professional level S-PVA panel (245T) I was interested in came out at R6.2k - R6.8k but only had a 1 year guarantee and is inferior the the Dell. The Dell 2408WFP is what they use to benchmark all the other panels. It also has connections for everything imaginable, even including DisplayPort which is the next generation after DVI / HDMI, the standard is currently being pushed by Intel. ie it is very future proof with next gen (maybe a few generations time) cards that only have DisplayPort connectors. Larabee will probably feature it.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3302&p=4
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3302&p=15
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64