Basic sound install advice.

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
maestro_za

Post by maestro_za »

Firestrm wrote:
maestro_za wrote:I'll pitch, even if my skills aren't needed. I love car audio, along with many other things.
you coming to jhb? KB is coming to my spot...
OIC ... didnt know he's going to your spot. Well if you have a 6 pack waiting for me I'll consider :wink:
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

lol. Maestro you can catch a lift with me if you want.

I am going to help a lot cause I want to learn all I can.

so the more teachers mean the more i learn :)
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
HuDiNi

Post by HuDiNi »

@naughty Where can I get a KCD01?

What other retailers are there in Durban area apart from autostyle?
E6600 under Ultra 120 Extreme
Transcend aXeRAM 1066
ASUS Maximus Formula
ASUS 8800GTS G92
CM 690
2x500 GB WD
160 + 250 GB Seagate
Samsung 226BW
Razer Lachesis
maestro_za

Post by maestro_za »

KillerByte wrote:lol. Maestro you can catch a lift with me if you want.

Cool. I'll PM my address, but it should be easy. I live around the corner from Menlyn mall :wink:
Owner @ Quick Flow IT
Xbox 360 Services

PC: In need of an upgrade :)
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5950X
Motherboard: ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Graphics card: EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
Memory: 32GB 3600 G-Skill Trident Z RGB

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

maestro_za wrote:
KillerByte wrote:lol. Maestro you can catch a lift with me if you want.

Cool. I'll PM my address, but it should be easy. I live around the corner from Menlyn mall :wink:
hey this aint gonna be a meet.... :? lol just be sure to bring a few amstels :P
https://carbonite.co.za - CUD central 8)
Fcon_Vpro

Post by Fcon_Vpro »

@naughty: Where are you getting the phoenix gold eq from ?

I want 30band eq's so badly... Audio Control digital stuff is what Id love to get
naughty

Post by naughty »

HuDiNi wrote:@naughty Where can I get a KCD01?

What other retailers are there in Durban area apart from autostyle?
i got the last one in Durban - they been out of the range for awhile - Govan Mani had two - the other one was bought by a friend of mine - so you wont find them anymore - you also will probably find it difficult to get the W808 which has most of these features but plays MP3 also

besides for autostyle you should look for Govan Mani and also Kay Makan - im sure those guys all stock kenwood - but im 100% sure that you will not be able to get a KCD01

the replacement of the KCD01 is only available for JDM (japanese domestic market) usage - it is called the K-TR10D and it costs around $3100 if you want it to have two channels of amplification and $5000 if you want 4 channel - it doesnt have any internal amplifiers - those are external - but they integrate with the unit - so you are forced to take the minimum of two channels anyway - these new headunits also use Wolfson DAC's (digital to analog convertors) which are considered far superior to Burr Brown by audiophiles at any rate - and i would love to try the K-RT10D out but they are (1) overpriced (2) not available anywhere else in the world besides for japan (3) you wont be able to use the japanese spec radio tuner

link to that unit

http://www.audiojunkies.com/blog/365/ke ... fier-combo

if you really want kenwood though i would suggest checking the retailers out since all the various countries markets differ - so im not sure which country we get the stuff from - so these guys will be able to suggest something to you - most kenwoods nowadays use Burr Brown DAC's - so should be similar in sound quality - and will differ mainly in features and processing ie some would have extra stuff like time alignment and Equalisation built in

if you really want a no-frills SQ unit then sadly i cannot suggest anything other than maybe finding one of the following units second hand

1) kenwood kcd01 (naturally)
2) Alpine 9887 (if you want the processing works get the imprint module with it)
3) Clarion HX-D2
4) any eclipse headunit (would be imported)

again though thats if you want a purely SQ system
Last edited by naughty on 30 Apr 2008, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
naughty

Post by naughty »

Fcon_Vpro wrote:@naughty: Where are you getting the phoenix gold eq from ?

I want 30band eq's so badly... Audio Control digital stuff is what Id love to get
those phoenix gold EQ's were discontinued over 10 years ago - so my one was purchased on E-Bay as a collectors item - it will be arriving sometime mid May or end of May

if you really want audiocontrol and are in Gauteng - look for Hygrade (they are somewhere in Lenz - they stock all the audio control goodies - BTW id love a pair of old school analog audiocontrol EQT 32 band equalisers if i can find those - but those are very rare to find in mint condition

if you find the audiocontrols hard to get then also consider a rockford fosgate 360.2 - it has 8 channels of 32 band EQ - built in (5 pairs of channels) crossover as well as time alignment and a whole whack of other rocessing goodies - but beware you need a palm pilot or a laptop with bluetooth to control it - it costs R5500 - plus the cost of whatever you use to control it but definitely a good bit of kit if you want ultimate processing control over your sound

either way audiocontrol as well as the rockford kit will be available at any rockford certified dealer - the same guys distribute it in SA
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
Fcon_Vpro

Post by Fcon_Vpro »

naughty wrote:

those EQ's were discontinued over 10 years ago - so my one was purchased on E-Bay as a collectors item - it will be arriving sometime mid May or end of May

if you really want audiocontrol and are in Gauteng - look for Hygrade (they are somewhere in Lenz - they stock all the audio control goodies - BTW id love a pair of old school analog audiocontrol EQT equalisers if i can find those - but those are very rare to find in mint condition
I know a couple places that stock Audiocontrol in Gauteng... just the price thats a problem.

Ive nearly bought the EQT a few times on Ebay but everytime there was one available they wouldnt ship to me or I couldnt bid cos I didnt have the money at the time, etc, etc.

I havent checked Ebay in a while but I rember about 2 years back, audiocontrol products hardly ever surfaced on ebay.

The digital Audiocontrol stuff is just nice that you can sit in the front of your car and adjust the frequencies with the controller instead of adjusting sliders, etc
naughty

Post by naughty »

Fcon_Vpro wrote:
naughty wrote:

those EQ's were discontinued over 10 years ago - so my one was purchased on E-Bay as a collectors item - it will be arriving sometime mid May or end of May

if you really want audiocontrol and are in Gauteng - look for Hygrade (they are somewhere in Lenz - they stock all the audio control goodies - BTW id love a pair of old school analog audiocontrol EQT equalisers if i can find those - but those are very rare to find in mint condition
I know a couple places that stock Audiocontrol in Gauteng... just the price thats a problem.

Ive nearly bought the EQT a few times on Ebay but everytime there was one available they wouldnt ship to me or I couldnt bid cos I didnt have the money at the time, etc, etc.

I havent checked Ebay in a while but I rember about 2 years back, audiocontrol products hardly ever surfaced on ebay.

The digital Audiocontrol stuff is just nice that you can sit in the front of your car and adjust the frequencies with the controller instead of adjusting sliders, etc
sorry man - ive added more in my post - so check out my edit

BTW lucky for you you did not buy an EQT - thsoe things are mono so you would have needed a pair - and yes those are extremely rare - i know someone who managed to source a pair for around R3000 but im not sure of the condition :? - mint versions would cost around maybe double that - plus the shipping

i agree with you about the modern digital versions - the 360.2 would also allow that if you have a palm pilot or laptop with the relevant software loaded - but yeah audiocontrol gear is awesome - and i wanted to stay as old school as possible hence the analog EQ
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

maxxis wrote:
ADV4NCED wrote:Ya great...I need some help buying sound again since mine was stolen LITERALLY after living 4 days in Durbs :/

Im looking at a 12" sub (Also pioneer fan :D ) 2x 6*9's and an mp3 player.

Now my question is...does it gotta be 4 channel sound or can it be 2? The local audio shop is telling me its gotta be 4 channel however my mate says it can be 2 channel and will supply more watts to the sub / tweaters

Since I dont know much about sound, cant really decide on what to go for :?

Suggestions on specifically what parts to get would be great!
What car is this going into?

Personally I hate 6x9"s. If you plan on running a 12" then the 6x9" will be useless.

At the moment my new SQ car is getting a set of 5.25" co-axials to replace the 6x9"s in the standard locations. The sub is a 10" that will take care of all the bass.

Amp. Starsound Chrome series. Targa, Camtec etc are all good value amps with plenty of kick.

Run you setup with the following: (Civic is running like this and the Jetta did)

- 4 Channel amp powering the front splits and sub
- HU running the rear speakers.

Rear speakers are just for ambient fill and should never overpower the front stage. They are merely there to compliment the front.

With regards to subs. Pioneers are great. Have one that might be going into the Civic in a spec enclosure and its about 7 years old. Still in perfect condition. :D
Thanks for the replies - sheeesh you guys post too quick! :D

The sound is for my VW Citi golf 1.4

I had a Sony HU which I also liked quite alot so I might go for another one, depends on prices I can get

6*9's do the job pretty well and they not expensive which is why I like em

Atm I've got my mates 12" pioneer sub/ 500w starsound amp but since theres no speakers or frontloader in my car... lol play the music off my cellphone...and you can imagin theres only bass...no treble LOL

I've been damn impressed by this 12" sub too, its only a 500w amp powering it and it really pumps. So ya Pioneer sub 4 sure!

As for the amp? Starsound ?
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
naughty

Post by naughty »

starsound amps are okay - but make sure its a 4 channel - and not a two channel

the speakers need to be crossed over - so keep the midrange and treble away from the subwoofer part - if you do use 6x9's then you need two channels for those - and then bridge two channels for the sub

also if you buy the pioneer sub - those are available in single voice coil as well as dual voice coil at differing impedances - so id suggest getting the one thats dual two ohms if you want the DVC cos this can be run in series to give you the 4 ohm impedance that a car amp would be outputting at

before you buy - just post exact model numbers or names and we can help further - the starsound chrome series 4150 is not a bad amp to run a set of full range speakers and a pioneer sub - i had that combination once and it sounded hectically awesome - my keys could jump around 20cm up when placed on the roof of the car when the bass pounded

my new sub can do that too - but i play it at very low volumes nowadays - just want the bass to be present and not overprominent and overbearing - so its all turned down a lot even though i have mad power available to me
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

Well I've been looking around on Autostyle and all things considered I'm beginning to think Anthro had a good idea with the Sony Xplode combo for R2200.

http://www.autostyle.co.za/prodview.php?prod_id=12547

What you think?

Do you think I could get the same/better setup than the above combo at the same price? Cause if not, I'll probably end up going with that sony..
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Late reply.

Im not a fan of 6x9's at all.

If they had that kit with some splits and the sub it would be good.

@ Killerbyte. Did your install happen? How does it sound and what did you fit.

My turn. Had the DLS C6A splits and DLS KW 10 Sub fitted to the Civic over the weekend. Man this car sounds awesome.

Every single person who listens to it asks if I have a 12" in the car. The DLS stuff is really top quality and the sound is perfectly balanced.

What I have at the moment is.

JVC 7001 with 7" motorized screen
DLS C6A Splits
DLS KW 10 Sub
Lightning Audio Strike S4.400.4 amp
Rockford Fosgate 5.25" co-axials

The LA amp and RF 5.25" co-axials are not really by choice as I had the car fitted with RF stuff before seeing the light and selling some of it off to get the proper stuff.

All I can say is Kevin from Payntwagon Audio did a stunning job on the car. Its truly the best sounding install I ever owned. If anybody wants to have a listen to it let me know and we can arrange something.