Where is all the good Anime shows for 2008 ?

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
larch

Where is all the good Anime shows for 2008 ?

Post by larch »

So 2007 was arguably one of the best years for Anime in a long time with lots of highly rates shows with high production value’s great stories and top notch Animation. Shows like:

* Claymore
* Code Geass
* Bamboo Blade
* Darker Than Black
* Dennou Coil
* Ghost Hound
* Kekkaishi
* Lucky Star
* Mobile Gundam 00
* Nana
* Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
* Seirei no Moribito
* Skygirls
* Sola
* Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

There is just to many shows to mention them all in just one post. (Don’t flame me if I missed some of the other shows, since these shows are the ones that was most memorable for me.) So in 2007 we where pretty much spoiled for choice when it came to the amount of good Anime shows that we could choose from. To put it into perspective the same time last year I had around 17 titles that I was actively watching and downloading.

Now my question is where are all the good shows of 2008. I regularly browse local Anime forums and you always come across the generic “What is hot for 2008″ or “Shows to look out for in 2008″ threads that are on posted them. I usually go through these and download at least a couple of episodes of each show, to see if I would enjoy them and if it is worth it getting the rest. And to put it bluntly almost all the new shows this year is just mindless drivel. Shows like: To-Love-Ru, Mnemosyne, Kanokon, Rosario Vampire and Spice Wolf are all just shameless fanservice shows they do try hard and hide that fact with a weak story but it makes it only more obvious to the people who watch it. Don’t get me wrong I do love my fanservice shows but when a show pretends to be something else by using a weak story it puts me off completely.

Then there are shows like: HTO : Footprints in the Sand and True Tears. These are the tried and tested romantic drama genre, unfortunately this genre has already been perfected by shows like: Sola and Kanon 2006. So these shows end up trying to hard and it shows, as you can predict the outcome of the story well in advance of the ending.

So after going through most of the new releases of 2008. (Watching 3 or 4 episodes of each show.) I came up with a short list (A very short list. LOL!) of Anime shows that I can highly recommend to anyone, and that is well worth a watch.

* Code Geass R2
* Macross Frontier
* Soul Eater
* xxxHOLiC: Kei

It is a bit ironic though that two of these shows namely Code Geass R2 and xxxHOLIC: Kei are second season shows, which leaves us with only two new shows. So the amount of good Anime shows this year so far has drastically decreased as I went from 17 titles last year down to only 4 titles this year. I am hoping we see a improvement in the quality of the shows getting released this year. It might still be a bit early to tell but June is almost upon us and then its already half a year done and gone with.

http://larcho.wordpress.com/2008/04/28/ ... -for-2008/
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

You can watch Kurenai, Druaga no To and Nijuu-Mensou no Musume too, they are good. Stuff like Claymore, Geass and Gurren-Lagann (not many action shows can top this in general) are few and far between so don't judge too fast.

Kurenai's a character driven show which centers around a seven yera old girl kidnapped from an elite family and placed in the care of a high school student working for the agency who kidnapped her. The little girl had quite an odd upbringing though, raised within the boundaries of her home she has never ventured outside and had no interaction with others. Her kidnapping was a request from her belated mother who longed the child to break free from the families traditional lifestyle. Her caretaker has a special ability, is well trained in martial arts and acts as mediater for the agency he works for. These two characters are growing more and more fond of each other as the story evolves. Knowing the reason their together however, we can see where the plot is headed. This is a solid show and it's well animated too. It's AniDB category listing is incorrect.

Druaga's a fantasy adventure involving a party of characters in quest to overcome an overlord. This show plays out very simmilar to an hack 'n slash RPG, the party for instance consists of a fighter, cleric, tanker and mage. We know what they wan't to achieve and we know how they will be doing so. This is not a bad thing though. This show features a lot of comedy and parody, nicely done at that. This is one of GONZO's better titles.

Nijuu-Mensou no Musume follows the story of a master thief and an eleven year old girl who'm he took under his wing after rescuing her from a family who was slowly poisoning her. She is quite a clever girl though and she is quickly learning the trades of her new ways. The strory basically follows these group of bandits and each episode showcases their clever methods of thievery. It's worth a watch if you like the old-school thief - detective run-around.