Anime Meetup Aftermath

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
larch

Anime Meetup Aftermath

Post by larch »

I wish to thank everyone who showed up for the meetup, braving the cold and load shedding to come drink and social with like minded people. I got to meet loads of interesting people and I also managed to have a decent discussion with two blokes sitting next to me. (Yes I forgot your names but you know who you are.) And this is also the very first meetup that had other people joined us from 4 different local Anime forums, I hope to include all of the local Anime forums in the next meetup.

The load shedding was a bit of a annoyance as Scrooges used oil lamps for lighting and I kept kicking those lamps over with my size 11 boots, not to mention the smoke and fumes they generated got a bit much for some people. But lucky for us the power returned after 45 minutes thank god it didn?t last the scheduled 4 hours. And whoever was making the music selections at the jukebox after the power got restored should be shot, the volume level was a bit high at times so you could not hold down a conversation with the person next to you.

Other than that it went pretty smoothly my only worry was at the end of the meetup when it came down to paying the bill for each table and giving the waiters there 10-15% tip. But it seemed that my worries were unfounded as it pretty much worked it self out, the only problem was that some of the orders that were placed never got onto the bill at the end of the night. Or the items that were ordered was placed on a different tables bill, but I think that just boils down to the the waiters making mistakes. Not that I blame them taking 55 peoples orders and keep your cool is no mean feat.

LOL! for some arb reason the get together spot changed from in front of Animeworx, to the local ice cream parlor. I think the people who passed by either though the ice cream parlor made really good ice cream or that we were just some sort of weird flash mob.

And for a change everyone showed up early this time so instead of going to Scrooges at 19:00 we ended up all going at around 18:30. And since it was getting cold outside and the complete lack of light. (Due to load shedding by Eskom.) It was the right decision to make though, and everyone who came a bit later eventually found there way to Scrooges when they did not notice us in front of Animeworx.

The original booking was for 50 people but I increased it to 60 due to the demand, but in the end we ended up being 55 people in total still not bad. But I am a bit miffed at the people who did not show as there were other people who would have loved to

The Nintendo DS fanboys where out in full force at the meetup, there where a bunch of confused looking PSP owners who brought there PSP?s along but they actually never got to play on them. LOL!

And of course there was as always some creative souls who found creative ways of using the paper and crayons to draw there art on the Scrooges tables.

http://larcho.wordpress.com/2008/04/26/anime-meetup-aftermath/
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

What a motley assortment of societies fringe-dwellers!

Are you sure that was an anime meet? It looks more like a True Love Waits conference.

:lol: But all seriousness aside ;) Did you advertise this in the forums - because I don't recall seeing it, and were there any PCF'ers in attendance?

Also congrats! 55 is a pretty decent turnout for one of these things. You have a healthy little community going there!
larch

Post by larch »

jamin_za wrote:What a motley assortment of societies fringe-dwellers!

Are you sure that was an anime meet? It looks more like a True Love Waits conference.

:lol: But all seriousness aside ;) Did you advertise this in the forums - because I don't recall seeing it, and were there any PCF'ers in attendance?

Also congrats! 55 is a pretty decent turnout for one of these things. You have a healthy little community going there!
Next time I will advertise it on the PCF I am slowly adding all the forums but bookings is a issue since I cant book anything more than 60 seats currently we are sitting at 55 people who showed up.

Think the food bill ended up being in the area of 8k for the whole night.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

You could consider hiring a venue and professional caterers.

If you had 100 people pitch up for R100 bucks a head that's 10K.
You could book a venue, cater meals and drinks and still have a bit in the kitty for some prizes or something.
larch

Post by larch »

jamin_za wrote:You could consider hiring a venue and professional caterers.

If you had 100 people pitch up for R100 bucks a head that's 10K.
You could book a venue, cater meals and drinks and still have a bit in the kitty for some prizes or something.
LOL that means money going out of my pocket money I don't have I do this every 4 months and it is free I just book the venue people show we drink and eat and be merry.