Yaris v Micra v Tida v Polo

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Hman wrote:
jee wrote:Screeper - Honda is not part of the list - perhaps i must just wait for the new financial year to see what else they will add to the list. :( What i meant with 1600 is i want that power. I had a 1400 Nissan Sentra, and she was the most fantastic little car EVER! I suppose what i'm looking for is something that will give me the same flexible and drivable car, easy to manage, easy to park, enough power (you should see my new driveway! ) light on petrol, and i can drive 1000 km in one day with no problem ;)

I hope i don't have to tell you guys my waist size *grins* (can tell you my shoe size however :roll: )
I'm going to repeat myself. Ford Fiesta 1600 TDCI.

It's got enough grunt for your driveway, as it has 90bhp and 204Nm on tap. And my dad who is over 6" long finds the car very comfortable.
IT'S NOT ON THE LIST :wink: :D :lol:

Does it have a footrest? My girlfriend's 1.6 Fiesta doesn't and I find that extremely annoying while driving cos there is nowhere to put my left foot
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

viceroy wrote:IT'S NOT ON THE LIST :wink: :D :lol:

Does it have a footrest? My girlfriend's 1.6 Fiesta doesn't and I find that extremely annoying while driving cos there is nowhere to put my left foot
Then the list needs to be edited.

I don't know if it has a footrest, it might or might not have one.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

Servicing a Honda with Honda is expensive from what I've heard.
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ 2 x 2GB Corsaire XMS3 DDR3-1333
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Dragoneyes

Post by Dragoneyes »

polo 1.6 comfortline FTW
- ASUS M2N-SLi Deluxe
- AMD64 6000+ @ 3.01Ghz
- Gainward 8800GTS 320
- Gigabyte 7300GS
- 4x 1gig DDR2 800
- CoolerMaster Extreme Power 650W
- Samsung 2232GW, Acer AL1951, Packard Bell LCD 17"
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

viceroy wrote: and the torque figures?
It has a torque of 145nm.

I assume you have the 2l Polo that has 170nm torque?
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

Dragoneyes wrote:polo 1.6 comfortline FTW
QFT. I drive one of these. You will NOT be dissapointed. PS: Get the Hatch, the classic doesn't do the Polo name justice... :wink:
DarkRanger

Post by DarkRanger »

ecthelion wrote:if polo is a option then rather go for a seat ... a friend of mine is also looking into buying a car and did his research ... he came to the conclusion that the seat and polo falls in the same price range but the seat you get more extras :wink: plus the seat looks nicer too :P :twisted:
BS!!!

I went to SEAT before buying my Polo, and guess what. For exactly the same price (R140 000 give or take) you can get a SEAT Ibiza, 1.6, Powersteering, electric windows front, manual back, manual transmission, CD Player. Standard SEAT Ibiza.

OR you can get a Polo Comfortline (hatch), 1.6, Powersteering, Electric Windows (all round), Central Locking, Manual transmission, MP3/CD Player, more space in the boot and backseats.

The Polo (hatchback) 1.6 Comfortline is one of the best value for money cars without any extras, that is why it is so popular.

And Of course my opinion is biased, I drive one! :-P But seriously jee, just go and testdrive one of these.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

I too am a 1.6 comfortline driver.

Cars are very reliable. I drive mine fairly hard and it does not complain.
I parked it off for 6 weeks under a sail cover while I went to Aus. Just disconnected the battery and left.
Came back, connected battery terminals, turned the key and all was fine.
Parts and servicing are cheap too. Not quite as cheap as my old Tazz, but less pricey than Nissan, Honda, Seat etc.
DarkRanger

Post by DarkRanger »

I drive mine fairly hard as well... And it's quick of the line, but lazy top end.
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Samaya wrote:
viceroy wrote: and the torque figures?
It has a torque of 145nm.

I assume you have the 2l Polo that has 170nm torque?
Yep thats the one...Not a huge amount, but it does make driving more relaxed (still pathetic compared to my previous RS Clio 2.0 - that car was just pure fun)
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

jee wrote:Hmmm i have a HUGE list of cars that i can choose from... i hate buying things like cell phones and cars *sigh*

it must be at least a 1600
it must have leg room (and not hitting my knees - i must be able to wear high heels as well ;) )
it must be able to go on gravel roads (yeah, i will be traveling those)
there are some mazdas on this list.... 8O and Toyota Avanza.
the car must be fairly light to handle - so no double cabs
i transport computers and dogs
my cats played on page 4 so i have no idea what cars was available on that page
if i understand correctly they will do my maintenance
did i mention i hate buying cars?
Toyota corolla sprinter - i don't like corollas :(
i'm very bad with my clutch - the only thing i have always got to replace on my cars it the gearbox and co
what is a Dodge Caliber 1.8 SE M5?
jee, the Tiida is your car then .

forget the calibre, its rubbish, as is the avanza. both underpowered and of low quality.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Jee - narrow your list down to 2 or 3 and take them for a test drive. It is the only way unfortunately.
We can all waffle on about the pros and cons of engine sizes, power output, torque, gearing blah blah but at the end of the day the car must appeal to you and not us.

So go give em a whirl and come back and tell us your thoughts :)
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Dragoneyes

Post by Dragoneyes »

Well I picked up my comfortline last saterday and believe me I am very happy with it. I did my research and the polo is really best bang for your buck. I looked in to the new corsa, new lancer, fiesta and more, to be honest the fiesta offers you the least.
The polo also offer you the best trade in value of all smaller cars.

In a nut shell ITS A GREAT CAR. :D
- ASUS M2N-SLi Deluxe
- AMD64 6000+ @ 3.01Ghz
- Gainward 8800GTS 320
- Gigabyte 7300GS
- 4x 1gig DDR2 800
- CoolerMaster Extreme Power 650W
- Samsung 2232GW, Acer AL1951, Packard Bell LCD 17"
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

my 2c here but if I had the choice I would go with any of these cars I wouldn't chose the Nissans.

They both look like rentals and no way could you get respect for buying a rental.
The Yaris has incredible fuel economy and looks nice plus how in the world did they get 7 air bags into that tiny thing?!
That would be my choice because I can see R10 a litre for petrol pretty soon.

It's my choice of those cars. A Honda jazz might be a better bet tho.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
beerman

Post by beerman »

Agreed wtih Frozen, I'd throw a Honda Jazz into the mix as well .. awesome little cars and great reliability.
My 2c ...
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

I have the Yaris 1.0
My mom was very skeptical about driving to Pretoria in it. That little car proved its worth. It has an electronic aircon so no more fuel problems (we drove from Durban to Pretoria with the aircon on and we averaged 16km per litre.)

The top speed on the 1.0 is 170km/h and the 1.3 is 195 (I haven't seen this in real life but a friend told me this was the top speed downhill.)

Fuel economy is good. Leg room beats my mom's 318i, I am 6'4" and I have my drivers seat all the way back. If I climb out I can sit behind the driver's seat, obviously I don't have huge amounts of leg room in that position but I wouldn't have a problem riding in the back like that for a short 30min drive to Pavillion.

People often look at the Yaris and think it has no boot, and they are right. The luggage space in the boot is just big enough for an LCD and a tower. But fold down the seats and flip over the special covers and you have a single cab bakkie (LOL). The space is huge. I can fit my PC, my LCD, 2 tog bags full of cables etc and then my 4 x12" subs and my amp. I cried when I gave up my Tazz untill I found the storage space in the Yaris to be in a class of its own.

Standard features on teh Yaris include airbags, power steering, and electric side mirrors. Parking it is so easy, the ride height is great - you are able to see all around you.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

did you guys not read her post about carrying dogs and PCs? The lady needs space, and for that the Tiida is by far the best...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

GreyWolf wrote:did you guys not read her post about carrying dogs and PCs? The lady needs space, and for that the Tiida is by far the best...
I have a Nissan Tiida (btw, Tiida means "new beginning" in one of the eastern languages.) and have been driving it as a home-to-office-and-back car for about 11 months now.

When we went for the first time to check the car out, I got into the back seat and could stretch myself out sitting right behind the driver seat. So I thought that the driver seat MUST have been ajusted to be right ontop of the steering wheel...
...I got into the driver seat and had to ajust the seat forward as my feet could not reach to depress the pedals to their full extent.

The thing is massive inside and on top of all that cabin space, have a decent boot space area.

I drive the 1.6 with all the bells and whistles. I am very very satisfied and happy with my purchase.

One one point I do have to concede... the car is fugly from outside. This was not a order qualifier nor oder winner for me, I went for all that space.

Can reccomend it to anyone.

s
jee

Post by jee »

ATM i drive about 300 km to work and back every day... have been watching the Yaris on the road - don't like the shape, don't like the way it performs.

Thanks GW - hopefully next week i will find out where the Nissan Garrage in PMB is to have a look

Mr Traveller... just remember, space for you is NOT space for me.... about two of you fit into one of me *girns*

no, its not waiste size, its hight!

(was going to say lenght, but there is not much to measure against :twisted: )

i actually have no clue what the Tiida looks like - big boot space? am currently driving a classic 1400 polo - love the boot, but its too high at the back... - with my back problem i have already reversed into a tree :oops:
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
tim

Post by tim »

Jee,

Just to open a new can of worms, why no Opels on your list?

Performance and value for money etc etc.....

On past ratings, the Honda Jazz beats all others in all area's.

This includes service cost and more.

Most new cars have maintenance plans anyway, so for a couple of years the cost to you is minimal, except for tyres.
tim

Post by tim »

TEST DRIVE WOMAN. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
jee

Post by jee »

Tim, there are opels - i think i named them on some of the pages - some little astra sport or something :D

Yip, will testdrive, atm sitting in the boendoes in the middle of a move:)

mind, you know what salesmen are like.. they will tell you all sorts of things and you will believe them! i prefer to have someone whom i trust tell me... perhaps i must take jamin with to testdrive.... *grins*
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
chez

Post by chez »

jee wrote:Tim, there are opels - i think i named them on some of the pages - some little astra sport or something :D

Yip, will testdrive, atm sitting in the boendoes in the middle of a move:)

mind, you know what salesmen are like.. they will tell you all sorts of things and you will believe them! i prefer to have someone whom i trust tell me... perhaps i must take jamin with to testdrive.... *grins*

I can't help.....as long as the car moves I'm happy...

You're going to testdrive jamin...?? :twisted: :twisted:
jee

Post by jee »

Oi chezzie, i wish i had a little toy like yours :twisted: :D
chez

Post by chez »

jee wrote:Oi chezzie, i wish i had a little toy like yours :twisted: :D

It's very cute and actually has a lot of space inside. Just not enough for the doggies....If they need to go somewhere, I have to borrow from garpie. :wink: