What type of car do you drive?

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Bukzini

Post by Bukzini »

Sorry i dont have any pics of my baby cause i lost my digital camera with all the good pics :cry: but hope this is good enough to give you guys a visual i'll try get the actual pics asap!

Its a 1997 Microbus 2.6I
Bukzini

Post by Bukzini »

exept mine is prolly faster than those have taken mine to over 180km/h(i say over because the clock stops at 180! 8) :) )
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

Selling my Audi sometime this year and getting myself the Subaru WRX 2.0

Still reading up bout them
Scarlet_Spider
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Scarlet_Spider »

Acidkidsa - check out

www.nasioc.com
and
www.rs25.com

and also- www.subie.tv
------
a nikonian from South Africa....
Nikonians
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Acidkidsa wrote:Selling my Audi sometime this year and getting myself the Subaru WRX 2.0

They're very good cars...especially good at sucking petrol
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

Acidkidsa wrote:Selling my Audi sometime this year and getting myself the Subaru WRX 2.0

argh i wouldnt buy the wrx 2.0. i test drove a subaru legacy 2.5GT and it was FAST yes and it was heavy on petrol and it was fun but thats because its a performance car... the legacy gt came with everything but it still lacked to its slower competitors such as BMW Merc and audi imo why you ask?
simple the subaru's interior is terrible its not that much different from a toyota (terrible considering the price you paying for the car). The interior was w mono toned black with glass console and some fibre glass here and there which was ugly... furthermore the car had no space in the back... but what has this got to do with the WRX, well the WRX is a subaru and suffers the same faults as the legacy. Subaru is a car meant for PERFORMANCE if you not gonna get the fast one then imo you wasting your money
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

RiaX wrote:

argh i wouldnt buy the wrx 2.0. i test drove a subaru legacy 2.5GT and it was FAST yes and it was heavy on petrol and it was fun but thats because its a performance car... the legacy gt came with everything but it still lacked to its slower competitors such as BMW Merc and audi imo why you ask?
simple the subaru's interior is terrible its not that much different from a toyota (terrible considering the price you paying for the car). The interior was w mono toned black with glass console and some fibre glass here and there which was ugly... furthermore the car had no space in the back... but what has this got to do with the WRX, well the WRX is a subaru and suffers the same faults as the legacy. Subaru is a car meant for PERFORMANCE if you not gonna get the fast one then imo you wasting your money
A good motor will have good consumption when you're light on the throttle and will suck juice when you push hard.

These turbo'd scoobies just seem to suck juice all the time.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

RiaX wrote:

Subaru is a toy car, really fun to drive, but it's a toy. Cheap interior and I'm not a fan at all of the looks. It looks like a Hotwheels car with a really oversized spoiler. Maybe it can take out an M3 on the highveld, but I'd still much rather have the M3 or 335i. I'm car shopping at the moment, I'll definitely go organize a test drive of a WRX STi just for the hell of it.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
skunkymunky
Permanently Banned

Post by skunkymunky »

ok so i'm considering getting this baby, wud i be killing myself, service wise etc

Last edited by skunkymunky on 07 Feb 2008, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.
Fool people into thinking youve got a horse by taking off a unicorns horn
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

skunkymunky wrote:ok so i'm considering getting this baby, wud i be killing myself, service wise etc
Age? Mileage? Motorplan? Service History?

Details dude!!!!!!
skunkymunky
Permanently Banned

Post by skunkymunky »

well this is still general

but we looking btw
1993 - 1996 models
180 - 200k kms
no motorplan
FSH offcourse
Fool people into thinking youve got a horse by taking off a unicorns horn
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

skunkymunky wrote:well this is still general

but we looking btw
1993 - 1996 models
180 - 200k kms
no motorplan
FSH offcourse
Be careful. Small things like electronics can cost well upwards of R10k if something minor goes wrong. At 150k-200k they start giving minor problems which can cost a lot but the engines pretty much last forever. If you really take care of it and drive it nicely they last long.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

Yeah i got a E230 1992 with 90k on the clock (bought it from brand new was my mother's car) it had electronic failure big bucks in repairing it and the dash light is still busted :/
Scavenger

Post by Scavenger »

I had a 1994 325i, which my parents had owned from new.. and by the time I sold it (last year) it had done 160 000km... Considering we sold it for R40 000, there is not much out there that can touch it for the money. Although it was starting to show its age with rattles etc. Mechanically it was perfect and the engine was bullet proof.. The real downside is that if you blink, it'll be stolen!! Although I reckon that'll be the case with most cars in that price bracket (in this country). Service costs are fine, its only when a part goes that you might need to fork out a little.. then again there are plenty of them floating around breakers yards that you can zyph parts from..
ASUS P5K Delux Wifi || Intel Core 2 Duo 3ghz e6850 || 4gb Mushkin XP 1066mhz DDR2 CL4 || 2x Sapphire ATI HD3870 512mb Crossfire || OCZ StealthXstream 600w || 500gb WD || 2x120gb WD Raid 0 || Thermaltake Xaser III Lanfire || Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers || Samsung Syncmaster 226BW 22" LCD "S" Panel ||
Dust

Post by Dust »

People that buy Subaru STi's do not buy them for fuel economy, they buy them for performance. Yes they suck juice hard, because the turbo forces more air into the cylinders, it would obviously need more fuel for combustion. If not it will run lean, overheat and crack a piston.

In anycase, if you can afford a Subaru, the petrol price shouldn't really bother you.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

If I buy a car it most likely be a Subaru WRX STi 2.5 or a Lan-Evo. Yes they are expensive but I prefer to buy something only when I know I gonna be happy with it and I can buy it cash. So yeah it will most likely still be a year or year and a half before I can pay for it. That is if we still have pertol by then or we don't get petrol-shedding :lol:
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

It is not just the turbo Subaru's that eat petrol, it is all of them.
They are all-wheel drive and an inherent flaw in that type of system is that providing drive to all four corners of the car is going to consume more fuel.

As much as my heart would love a Scoobie I just can not accept the fuel consumption and the higher C02 emissions that they produce.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Scarlet_Spider
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Scarlet_Spider »

having a 2.5RS and driving it relatively hard every day I can comment on the fuel

I get about 10 litres / 100 km's driving sedately

spirited driving gets me about 13 litres / 100km's

for a 2.5 litre four cylinder engine driving all 4 wheels on a car that weighs 1.8 tons - thats not too bad.
Its not a yaris, but its not bad.

Go and ask people who drive subaru's if they willing to change brands in a hurry, chances are small that you'll find any that are! Most subaru drivers swear by them. I do.

P.S.: I dont have any wings on my car and I dont call everyone "China"
------
a nikonian from South Africa....
Nikonians
XIII

Post by XIII »

Nissan Skyline R33

Image[/img]
Vae, puto deus fio!
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Ferrari meet at Gansbaai