Hijacking stats

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Speaking of I can't find it, must have deleted it. Hang on I'll ask for another one.
UsMarshal

Post by UsMarshal »

All those stats are kinda stupid cause they do not take into account the quantities of vehicle makes and models on the road. Of course there are going to be way more vw polo's then porsche 911's on the road. Many hijackings are also impulse based, being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Basically don't think you are safe in a car because on some site it says it has never been hijacked, if you do you are an idiot. You are at risk no matter what car you drive.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Found the prior one so long -

Slasher

Post by Slasher »

UsMarshal wrote:All those stats are kinda stupid cause they do not take into account the quantities of vehicle makes and models on the road. Of course there are going to be way more vw polo's then porsche 911's on the road. Many hijackings are also impulse based, being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Basically don't think you are safe in a car because on some site it says it has never been hijacked, if you do you are an idiot. You are at risk no matter what car you drive.
Yes, everyone is at risk. I am hellishly aware of my surroundings when driving, especially at night. This does not however change the fact that VW's in their % gets hijacked more than other cars...

It is much easier to dissapear with that car than any other car. The car is everywhere, so spotting a stolen one is near on impossible...

And no, most hijackings are not impulse based but based on what the 'market' wants... They wont steal a VW beetle if they know no-one will buy it...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
UsMarshal

Post by UsMarshal »

well a mate of mine was hijacked, fortunatly the hijackers were the "decent" kind, if you get decent hijackers and they told him it was pure oppertunity they even let him keep his cellphone.
Keigo

Post by Keigo »

UsMarshal wrote:well a mate of mine was hijacked, fortunatly the hijackers were the "decent" kind, if you get decent hijackers and they told him it was pure oppertunity they even let him keep his cellphone.
thats pretty nice of them~

and oh... man again... Image merc over 200 line...
naughty

Post by naughty »

This does not however change the fact that VW's in their % gets hijacked more than other cars...

It is much easier to dissapear with that car than any other car. The car is everywhere, so spotting a stolen one is near on impossible...
actually if you look at those lists above your post - it shows that you are incorrect - which bears out what i say - only the guys who have vw's report their stolen cars - the other guys rarely do

but it seems like Bee-ems are higher than vw's as a percentage - and dont even talk about toyota
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Toyota and BMW's fly of the road as well...

Still, you can not argue that Hyundai/Kia/Citroen and those lesser known cars get stolen a lot less...

O well, to each his own...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
naughty

Post by naughty »

Still, you can not argue that Hyundai/Kia/Citroen and those lesser known cars get stolen a lot less...
theres probably a reason for that - who would want one of those even if its cheap cos its stolen (LOL - just kidding haha)

as a matter of interest im actually in the market for a 5 seater with a boot and ive been looking at the cerato and also the Kia Rio and also a Proton GenII - this is to replace an old 96 model honda ballade auto for my sister who cannot drive a manual

looking for a mixture of practicality and also low fuel consumption - so yeah i cannot really fault the kia's and daihatsu's etc too much for that purpose
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
Bukzini

Post by Bukzini »

Well... take it from me bro...(i am black after all 8) :wink: ) a Polo classic is a very high risk car and i can rate it 4th on the list of the "most wanted" list after the Toyota quantum... if you do get one dont bother with an alarm system that is installed by the manufactorer cause in this day and age the criminals are smarter and can easly disarm them... i'd suggest a french or not so popular car to buy...
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Or get yourself an old "skedonk" that no one wants to steal.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

At the moment, it looks like I'll be getting him a DAIHATSU CHARADE CX. :lol: He's not gonna be happy, but since it's cheaper I was thinking I'd do his rims, tires (can you get chrome 13's?:lol:) and interior (sounds, dvd etc). Besides, when he turns 21, the parents are going to get him a car so it's temporary.

Good thing about this car is that I don't think it will get hijacked. Why go to the trouble when you could just steal it with a fork lift.
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ 2 x 2GB Corsaire XMS3 DDR3-1333
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

Keigo wrote:
cYcLIc wrote:From what I have been reading, it's legal. 8O
:twisted: really?
Well, hijacking is too!! :-P :twisted:
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

cYcLIc wrote:Why go to the trouble when you could just steal it with a fork lift.
ROFL!!! HAHAAHAHA!!! Brilliant!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
TheMartyr

Post by TheMartyr »

Oh yeah :) i drive a mazda astina and according to the jacking lists - there where 0 reported in 06/07
unless im lookin at the wrong list.
Hello im a signature
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

Well a hundai getz is a good car has brilliant standard anti theft ..... i've never heard anyone getting jacked for a hundai...

For you DBN peoples i know one guy that got hi-jacked inside the suncoast parking lot... he had a 330CI Beemer poor fellow just bought it too
Bukzini

Post by Bukzini »

cYcLIc wrote:At the moment, it looks like I'll be getting him a DAIHATSU CHARADE CX. :lol: He's not gonna be happy, but since it's cheaper I was thinking I'd do his rims, tires (can you get chrome 13's?:lol:) and interior (sounds, dvd etc). Besides, when he turns 21, the parents are going to get him a car so it's temporary.

Good thing about this car is that I don't think it will get hijacked. Why go to the trouble when you could just steal it with a fork lift.
Or a mazda etude, they dont steal that cause it is so damn slow and many people dont want them(dont get the facelifted 1 get the older ones with "squareish" headlights :) :P
Tiza

Post by Tiza »

VW Polo sold 39000 cars last yaer and the closest completion was at like 26 k i think.

Now it is logically that Polo's would get hijacked more!
I am a guy so please people stop sending me these shady pm's and start playing computer games or bodybuilding. Forums aren't a good place to get chicks the gym is...
Dragoneyes

Post by Dragoneyes »

I still say if you at the wrong place at the wrong time doesn't matter what car you drive
- ASUS M2N-SLi Deluxe
- AMD64 6000+ @ 3.01Ghz
- Gainward 8800GTS 320
- Gigabyte 7300GS
- 4x 1gig DDR2 800
- CoolerMaster Extreme Power 650W
- Samsung 2232GW, Acer AL1951, Packard Bell LCD 17"
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Wow! Checking the list, I just noticed that all the cars I drive are high profile on Jackers' lists.
If they were to attempt to jack me, I'd put up a fight. Tactfully of course and not like some redneck. It wouldn't be the first time looking down a barrel.

3 of my friends went through jackings.
1 lost everything, including his clothes and thus his dignity. The idiots of my area made him the town's laughing stock for many months after. :evil:
The other lost only his car. What a sweet car he had. A turkey toyota. Still remember the smell.
And the last almost lost his dad who was with him. They shot through the car door and the bullet went through his dad's thigh. He, reflexively, jumped out the car to fend off the jackers and it worked. They fired 3 bullets all of which missed him. Poor lad had to give a speech in the school assembly about it.
These were a good many years back though...

Also, I keep a fake air gun in my car that looks identical to a real gun. It works its charms pretty well.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.