Newtype USA is cancelled

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
larch

Newtype USA is cancelled

Post by larch »

"No, that's not a rumor, its absolutely true. Newtype USA is owned and operated by ADV (which, of course, gives everything they own a positive review) and they have informed in a press release that the February edition of their magazine will end at issue 65 and a new magazine will take it's place.

This comes on the heels of the cancellation of The Anime Network back on January 4th. The Anime Network is also a subsidiary of ADV. This is a disastrous marketing move being that in any given month Newtype has 50,000-75,000 readers.

Listen, Newtype US has been around since late 2002 when the US anime market had a great surge and the name Newtype is known by anime fans everywhere. Newtype US comes from the Japanese version of Newtype which began by Kadokawa Shoten on March 8, 1985. Newtype is a brand name and the end of that publication and the end of The Anime Network signals an extremely ominous sign for ADV.

Consoliating their assets in this manner is a very shaky business decision. The new title of their relaunch magazine will be titled "PIQ." They're kidding, right? Their press release states:

"We will be launching a new magazine that will be on sale in mid-March. Titled PiQ, the magazine will cover anime, manga, video games and other aspects of pop culture of keen interests to you. All existing subscribers [of Newtype] will have their remaining issues fulfilled at a two-to-one ratio, meaning you will get double the number of magazines delivered straight to your doorstep! We hope you stick with us and give the new magazine a shot. We're sure you'll love it!"
Source: http://www.loveofanime.com/

And so once again ADV shows to the Anime community of the world that it has no business sense at all and that they are trying to monopolize the Anime industry, "nice" job ADV first Geneon and then Anime Network and now Newtype magazine who is next. ?
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

I saw an issue of Newtype at Cna once, it must have imported because Cna was asking R233 for it. Guess I’ll stick with the Otaku mag (R28)
I’ve heard that certain sites like animenewsnetwork and animeondvd have given many of ADV Films lackluster titles unwarranted and undeserving positive reviews thus trying to influence users into buying those titles.
larch

Post by larch »

Ahzure wrote:I saw an issue of Newtype at Cna once, it must have imported because Cna was asking R233 for it. Guess I’ll stick with the Otaku mag (R28)
I’ve heard that certain sites like animenewsnetwork and animeondvd have given many of ADV Films lackluster titles unwarranted and undeserving positive reviews thus trying to influence users into buying those titles.
I dont like Otaku mag ill rather stick with Newtype u get way more bang for your buck.

U can buy it at AWX for R70 u get a dvd centerfold poster and a manga for R70
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

I’ve only bought the last 2 issues of the Otaku mag, I was just curious to see how anime was doing in this country. Checked out their forum a few days ago, I was somewhat surprised to read the negative comments one of the magazine’s staff writers made about meeting Crispin Freeman.
larch

Post by larch »

Ahzure wrote:I’ve only bought the last 2 issues of the Otaku mag, I was just curious to see how anime was doing in this country. Checked out their forum a few days ago, I was somewhat surprised to read the negative comments one of the magazine’s staff writers made about meeting Crispin Freeman.
I wont make any comments or I will get flamed for my opinion :P
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

Okay I won’t bring up that subject ever again.

I’ve heard that sometimes Newtype would release a DVD (containing the first episodes of a number series the magazine is promoting/hyping) along with magazine, I wonder if it’s true? Anyway I’ll have to find out if AWX sell back issues of Newtype.
larch

Post by larch »

Ahzure wrote:Okay I won’t bring up that subject ever again.

I’ve heard that sometimes Newtype would release a DVD (containing the first episodes of a number series the magazine is promoting/hyping) along with magazine, I wonder if it’s true? Anyway I’ll have to find out if AWX sell back issues of Newtype.
U got a DVD with a Anime episode on it every issue and a center fold and a manga :P