Crispin Freeman (Voice Actor)

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
larch

Crispin Freeman (Voice Actor)

Post by larch »

"To some people, Crispin Freeman may simply be the English voice of many of anime's hottest guys, but he is much more than just another voice actor. This Renaissance man can also be heard in a number of recent videogames, wrote the English-language scripts for anime such as Shamanic Princess and Witch Hunter Robin, and recently, has been punching the clock as a dub director (Strawberry Eggs, Space Travelers, Scrapped Princess). In addition, he lectures on topics like anime's mythological underpinnings, and in general, is probably one of the most recognizable personalities on the Anime scene."

Crispin Freeman has gained cult status among Anime fans for his skills as a voice actor in Anime shows and most recently as a director of Anime titles. But it doesn't stop there he also does voice overs for multiple games and he has taken part in half a dozen Broadway Theater plays. His has done over 60 voice overs for anime titles from 1998 to 2008 a complete list of shows that he did voice overs for can be found here: http://www.crispinfreeman.com/animeresume.html. I also found a demo mix mp3 clip with some of this voice acting talent u can download it here: http://www.box.net/shared/d9yl6r3i7g. He also has his own Website dedicated to his career as a voice & stage actor: http://www.crispinfreeman.com/animeindex.html

When asked how he got his start in the anime voice-over industry, Crispin Freeman is explicit about his reasons for getting involved. "A friend of mine landed a role in Peacock King and he knew I was a big anime fan, and suggested that I call up Central Park Media and see if I could get a job doing dubs, Freeman says. "My first thought was 'Why?' Because for myself, I don't like the dubbed versions and I usually watch subtitles. But then I remembered that the shows I used to watch when I was growing up were all dubbed, and it wasn't until later that I got into subtitles. I realized that it's usually through dubs that people are introduced to anime and I wanted to make that introduction as good as possible."

Anime TV shows like Speed Racer and Battle of the Planets (a.k.a. Gatchman) made a great impression on Freeman as a child. "I liked the character played by Casey Kasem the best-he was called Mark in Battle of the Planets; Ken the Eagle in Gatchaman," he remembers, "I actually wanted to change my name to Mark back then. Later, he discovered Voltron, Star Blazers, and Robotech. "That show really blew my mind," he says. '.My little brother and I taped it religiously. In fact, we still have some episodes on Beta. Of course since then, especially once I realized that Streamline was going out of business, I've gone out and bought every episode of Robotech I could find."

An actor who describes himself as "primarily a theatrical actor," Freeman holds a graduate degree from Columbia University, and at time of this interview, was performing A Christmas Carol in Cincinnati's Playhouse in the Park, and had just finished a run on Broadway of Arthur Miller's A View From the Bridge. But even so, as an anime fan himself, voice-acting holds a special spot in his career. "I was more excited about getting Zelgadis than I was about getting on Broadway, if that tells you anything. But I must say that my physical training for the theater, especially my Suzuki training, greatly informs my voice work. I think if I stopped doing my stage work, my voice work would suffer."
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

After all these years of watching anime I know the names of only a handful of English voice actors and for some reason I can identify them in any anime series.

10. Rachael Lillis – Misty; Jesse; Jigglypuff from Pokemon and as Princess Charlotte in Berserk.
9. Eric Stuart - Brock; James from Pokemon and as Seto Kaiba in Yu-Gi-Oh!
8. Darren Dunstan – as Maximillion Pegasus in Yu-Gi-Oh!
7. Chris Sabat - Piccolo in DBZ and Tatsumi Saiga in Speed Grapher
6. Sean Schemmel – Goku in DBZ and Gaston in Berserk
5. Carolyn Keranen - as Caska from Berserk
4. Marc Diraison – as Guts/Gatts in Berserk
3. Kevin Collins - as Griffith in Berserk
2. Greg Wolfe - as Maze (male) in the Maze tv series and Maze OVA. He is quite possibly the worst English voice actor so there is no way I’d ever forget his voice.
1. Crispin Freeman – as Hideki Motosuwa in Chobits

It just so happens that Chobits was the title that introduced me to Crispin Freeman’s work. There was a 40 second trailer of Strawberry Eggs on the Chobits DVDs and based on his performance in those 40seconds I can see why he is loved by fans. I believe if it wasn’t for the contributions of Mr Big and Crispin Freeman I wouldn‘t have bothered with the English dub of Hellsing (which happens to be my first locally bought anime DVD)

I have a question though, who do you think is more popular Crispin Freeman or Spike Spencer?
larch

Post by larch »

Crispin Freeman is more popular without a doubt and he has more expiercing when it comes to voice acting.
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

Forgive me for asking but just how many titles have you seen or come across that features Crispin Freeman and do you happen to own any of those titles?
larch

Post by larch »

Here is the list of anime he has done since 1998 and i have watched most of them with a acception of a couple and i own about 12 titles with his voice acting talent in it.

1998 The Slayers (TV) Zelgadis Graywords, Hallas, Actor A
Revolutionary Girl Utena (TV) Touga Kiryuu, Dios (first arc only)
Grave of the Fireflies (movie) Doctors, Old Man

1999 Slayers Next (TV) Zelgadis Graywords
Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles
of the Heroic Knight (TV) Spark, Grassrunner Maar, Groder, Gaberra, Garrack
The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
(TV) Justy Ueki Tylor

2000 Slayers Try (TV) Zelgadis Graywords
The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
(OVA) Justy Ueki Tylor
Virgin Fleet (OVA) Mau Sakisaka
Geobreeders (OVA) Descartes, Misc.
Shamanic Princess (OVA) Kagetsu
Photon (OVA) Galactic Emperor

2001 Night on the Galactic Railroad
(movie) Campanella
Space Travelers: The Animation
(movie) Jetter Hayabusa
Angel Sanctuary (OVA) Rosiel
Boogiepop Phantom (TV) Saotome Masami (Manticore)
Assemble Insert (OVA) Misc.
Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Movie
(movie) Touga Kiryuu
RG Veda (OVA) Emperor Taishakuten

2002 Now and Then, Here and There (TV) Tabul
Hellsing (TV) Alucard
Ping Pong Club (TV) Takeda
Rurouni Kenshin: Tales of the Meiji (TV) Amasuka Shougo, Misc. (3rd season)
Cosmo Warrior Zero (TV) Warrius Zero
I, My, Me! Strawberry Eggs (TV) Hibiki Amawa (male)
X (TV) Fuma Monou
Dangaizer 3 (OVA) Koichiro Misturugi
Vandread: Second Stage (TV) Tenmei Uragasumi
Cowboy Bebop: The Movie (movie) Operator
Digimon Frontier (TV) Koichi Kimura, Duskmon, Misc.

2003 Argentosoma (TV) Dan Simmons
The Big O (TV) Alan Gabriel (2nd season)
Geneshaft (TV) Mario Musicanova
Chobits (TV) Hideki Motosuwa
Read or Die (OVA) Joker
Initial D (TV) Koichiro Iketani ("Cole")
s-CRY-ed (TV) Straight Cougar
Spirit of Wonder (OVA) Jim
Last Exile (TV) Alex Rowe
Witch Hunter Robin (TV) Amon
.hack//Liminality (OVA) Harold Hoerwick, Misc.
.hack//SIGN (TV) Balmung

2004 Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (TV) Togusa
Chibits (OVA) Hideki Motosuwa
Kikaider 01: The Animation (OVA) Rei Kikaider 00
Angel Tales (TV) Shin
Please Twins! (TV) Kousei Shimazaki
Rave Master (TV) Shuda, Sieghart
Wolf's Rain (TV) Tsume
Kaze no Yojimbo (TV) Yamamoto, Genzo Araki
Slayers Premium (movie) Zelgadis Graywords
.hack//Legend of the Twilight Bracelet (TV) Balmung

2005 Scrapped Princess (TV) Shannon Cassul
Zatch Bell! (TV) Wonrei, Gustav, Iwashima, Kane, Misc.
Planetes (TV) Colin Clifford
Tenchi Muyo! 3 (OVA) Kamikura
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG (TV) Togusa
Naruto (TV) Ebisu
Mars Daybreak (TV) Rich

2006 Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (movie) Togusa
Eureka 7 Holland
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (movie) Rude
Blood+ (TV) Hagi, Van Argeno
Noein (TV) Karasu
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

I love outtakes; it really is a cool feature on DVDs. You get to see a different side of the actors. I’m just sorry that there are no outtakes on any of my Crispin Freeman DVDs.
Too bad he's not doing anything for Media Blasters because their outtakes are the best