VAT refund!

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Agamemnon

VAT refund!

Post by Agamemnon »

Over the last few months, I've bought various computer parts and the VAT on the receipts adds up to over R1000 8O 8O HELL YEAH! :twisted: :twisted:

So since I'm a foreigner, I'm entitled to a VAT return right?! :twisted: *fiendishly rubs hands*

Well does anyone know where I can go and collect my tax returns? Sorry but I'm really clueless here. But I want that cash to buy myself a little momento of SA before I leave for home in a few weeks. :)

Thanx in advance.

PS: I live in CT :wink:
All your base are belong to us.

AMDfan

Post by AMDfan »

uh...go to the receiver of revenue office in downtown CT?
Fishzn

Post by Fishzn »

Yo agame, amdfan is right about going to Reciever of revenue, they should give you all VAT refunds!

btw, where are you from dude? I think i caught it in some other thread, America right? Anyway, if you're from there why buy stuff from here? Stuff is cheaper there and you get to return it in case it breaks etc. Also were you here in SA on holiday or sumtin?

Once you go back to be afraid to visit here!

p.s tell all ur friends about us! It would be nice to have more foreigners here!

Peace
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
goku

Post by goku »

There is a tax office at every airport for ppl who wants to claim their tax back before they leave. You can claim back for everything you bought in SA no matter how small it is( you need the receipt of course :wink: )

Hope you enjoyed it here :P :P
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

goku wrote:There is a tax office at every airport for ppl who wants to claim their tax back before they leave. You can claim back for everything you bought in SA no matter how small it is( you need the receipt of course :wink: )
I concur. Hope you kept those receipts.
--------------------
I miss Duke Nukem. Forever is a long time.
--------------------
I don't respect your opinion because it's wrong.

Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

Fishzn wrote:btw, where are you from dude? I think i caught it in some other thread, America right? Anyway, if you're from there why buy stuff from here? Stuff is cheaper there and you get to return it in case it breaks etc.
Hehe, that is a common misconception. Think about it this way. An average pc in the states sell for about $999. Multiply that by about 7 (exchange rate) and you get R7000. Now buy one here for about R5000. Devide that by about 7. He ends up paying $714. So depending on the exchange rate he might actually get more bang for his buck buying hs components here. Proudly South African! (Made in Taiwan of course) :lol:
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
wit_skapie
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wit_skapie »

Y0da wrote:
Fishzn wrote:btw, where are you from dude? I think i caught it in some other thread, America right? Anyway, if you're from there why buy stuff from here? Stuff is cheaper there and you get to return it in case it breaks etc.
Hehe, that is a common misconception. Think about it this way. An average pc in the states sell for about $999. Multiply that by about 7 (exchange rate) and you get R7000. Now buy one here for about R5000. Devide that by about 7. He ends up paying $714. So depending on the exchange rate he might actually get more bang for his buck buying hs components here. Proudly South African! (Made in Taiwan of course) :lol:
Just for interest, apparently some Asian country had a village called "USA", pronounced "oesa" - then they could put "Made in USA" on all their mass produced rubbish... :D
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Agamemnon, you bought the stuff in SA right? Then you pay VAT! If you came here as a tourist and bought goods you would have claimed your VAT back at the airport Tax Refund office. If you are a resident alien, from Mars, Venus or the USA, forget it! :lol:
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Y0da wrote:
Plus he would get his tax back.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

lancelot wrote:Agamemnon, you bought the stuff in SA right? Then you pay VAT! If you came here as a tourist and bought goods you would have claimed your VAT back at the airport Tax Refund office. If you are a resident alien, from Mars, Venus or the USA, forget it! :lol:
lancelot, lancelot. Where's your glasses ol man. :wink: He said he's going back to the states in a couple of weeks. Surely that makes him a tourist? :lol:
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Sure YOda, if he is a bona-fide tourist, no problem, he will get his refund! Depending on the amount though they may post him a cheque. I am not sure about SA but in the UK they send me a cheque, so I can't buy any last minute things with the VAT refund!
And BTW, I am wearing my spectacles, call me old will you, I am sending my Grandfather to your address, he will sort you out! :P
stewy_w

Post by stewy_w »

I never understood this vat thing, maybe u guys can clear it out for me.

Wot if a tourist collects a lot of slips from a lot of ppl maybe his friends or ppl who throw slips away, and then goes to the revenue office and then claims all of that cash?
Running Vista is like being in a candy store that only sells black liquorice at exorbitant prices. Oh, and you\'re only allowed to eat the candy in the store.
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

lancelot wrote:Sure YOda, if he is a bona-fide tourist, no problem, he will get his refund! Depending on the amount though they may post him a cheque. I am not sure about SA but in the UK they send me a cheque, so I can't buy any last minute things with the VAT refund!
And BTW, I am wearing my spectacles, call me old will you, I am sending my Grandfather to your address, he will sort you out! :P
Hehe...Listen pops, I will eat your grandpa up and spit out the bones. :twisted:
Synkronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Synkronos »

Oz: It's called fraud, but would be difficult to police
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Regarding the tax refund thingy, the place where you purchase would normally srtamp your slip with their VAT number, in the UK the vendors actually write your passport number down and so on, don't know how they police it here, I suppose I could find out for you! Maybe I will!

YOda, my granpa has the force, backed up with a Magnum .44!
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

lancelot wrote:
YOda, my granpa has the force, backed up with a Magnum .44!
Your granpa is no Jedi - he would not need the magnum .44 if he was one! :P

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

Hehe...I better get ready for gramps.

Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrall »

The Jedi Police recruiting-slogan: "May you be with the Force"
Be polite, professional and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

My Iraq pics
Agamemnon

Post by Agamemnon »

Thanks fellas. 8)

I'll get down to that office in CT. I asked around and I know the directions now.

But I'm not a tourist (good lord! It's summer in the US. Why would I be touring winter-bound SA?!) I'm a sophomore exchange student. So will I still get my cash?! I'm heading over there tomorrow.

PS: SA is Gr8t! I knew coming here would offer me a different experience but I was quite overwhelmed. Tech-wise, SA is on the up 'n up. Your prices ARE actually very competitive. You damn right I'm gonna tell my friends about SA :twisted: . Screw the stereotypes. SA kicks 4$$! 8)
All your base are belong to us.

RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Agamemnon wrote:Thanks fellas. 8)

I'll get down to that office in CT. I asked around and I know the directions now.

But I'm not a tourist (good lord! It's summer in the US. Why would I be touring winter-bound SA?!) I'm a sophomore exchange student. So will I still get my cash?! I'm heading over there tomorrow.

PS: SA is Gr8t! I knew coming here would offer me a different experience but I was quite overwhelmed. Tech-wise, SA is on the up 'n up. Your prices ARE actually very competitive. You damn right I'm gonna tell my friends about SA :twisted: . Screw the stereotypes. SA kicks 4$$! 8)
You a good fella.

Get your friends in the states to join us on E3.0
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

Call me stupid, but won't he have to pay import duty on the equipment when he gets back there?
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Depends if it is used goods or not.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

Ok, if you want to get your tax back :-

Find a horned Toad, and get three drops of of it's spittle,
mix liberally with eye of Newt and Larks Vomit,
Get three hairs off the head of a Tax Inspector.

Mix all of this with three pints Zamalek, 1 tot of klippies.
Strain through a South African Flag and drink.

After that, attempt getting blood out of a stone.

If you can do all of that, you'll get your tax back !

:)
Psych0_Cr1tt3r

Post by Psych0_Cr1tt3r »

bb_matt wrote:Ok, if you want to get your tax back :-

Find a horned Toad, and get three drops of of it's spittle,
mix liberally with eye of Newt and Larks Vomit,
Get three hairs off the head of a Tax Inspector.

Mix all of this with three pints Zamalek, 1 tot of klippies.
Strain through a South African Flag and drink.

After that, attempt getting blood out of a stone.

If you can do all of that, you'll get your tax back !

:)
... and also makes a excellent sea sickness tonick... it wont help the sickness but it would look really kewl when you throw it up...
Alien_Hitter

Post by Alien_Hitter »

bb_matt you forgot the crucial ingredient
the tooth of rabid 200pound rotweiler!
AMD 2400+,512 kingmax DDR400, FX 5600xt