need a few pointers : work in UK .

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
gorak

need a few pointers : work in UK .

Post by gorak »

hi

i wonder if anybody has got any advice . i am looking for advice on how to go about getting a job (software and hardware support) in the UK.

does anybody have any "contacts" there ? ANY advice and/or pointers will be most welcome !!!!
if you have any advice that you dont want shared on the forums PLEASE PM me !!!!!
Even paranoid people have enemies !
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Firstly what passport (nationality) do you have?
Secondly do you have ancestors who come from the UK, as far back as grandparents?
Thirdly, any connections to an EU country?
This will determine the visa type that you are entitled to!
Spabel

Post by Spabel »

Yeh!

Great stuff, I'd like some clarity on the subject as well.

All these "recruiting agencies" that charge you R???? and then you lose half to them (if not all) because they dont find a job that suits you but keep your money cause someone needs to get paid for doin nothing, cheap son-of-a&$!#$% freekin money making scheme @$^*!#$!!!!!

aaahh.... whatever!

So please if anyone has experience of this - I'd like some info aswell.
All that glitters is not gold,
all those who wander are not lost...

JRR TOLKIEN
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Do not use recruiting agencies, first supply the info I asked for, then I can start telling you what to do! 8)
Spabel

Post by Spabel »

Firstly what passport (nationality) do you have?
Secondly do you have ancestors who come from the UK, as far back as grandparents?
Thirdly, any connections to an EU country?
This will determine the visa type that you are entitled to!
1) SA
2) No
3) No

JRR TOLKIEN
gorak

Post by gorak »

hi

lancelot . i have an south african passport .no grandparents in uk (no UK connections whatso ever ). my parents are in new zealand ( they have got citizenship - emigrated 4 years ago).

I am VERY weary of recruiting agencies .

PS . THANKS for the help and your time .
Spabel

Post by Spabel »

gorak : that's pretty amazing! I've family in new zealand as well. i nearly went over to go look for employment there.

have you looked into the possibility of working there?

JRR TOLKIEN
gorak

Post by gorak »

ye................... they are in auckland by the way .

I have thought about it , but i would like to go to the UK .
something about the pound and stonehenge................ LOL.

but seriously i am looking to go either later this year or early next year . i want to get some more experience in my job field .
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Look guys, without an ancestral visa or any other EU type passport the scenario becomes a little more difficult. SA citizens do not normally require a visa to enter the UK. Because SA is a member of the Commonwealth you will be granted a twelve month entry stamp on your passport, however this will preclude you from gaining official employment. There is one exception to this; you can apply to do an English language tuition course, which entitles you to stay longer. Most of the young guys go over on a normal "holiday" visa.
If you then answer the immigration officers’ question truthfully as to how long you are going to stay, they will demand certain provisos such as a sizable amount of money in your bank account. Proof of this is normally required, what the parents do to overcome this is to transfer like R20 000.00 into your account, leave it for a week or so and then take it back again.
But if you tell them that you are going to visit mates for a while and tour a bit of the UK, you will need an address where you are staying, a return airline ticket (which you can always sell the return leg off for extra cash) and some money, around R5000.00! This will get you in, then you can find work, first as a waiter or on the London Rail system, both popular. Once you have a job with London or British rail, you can apply for a work permit. The work is not great, tough and long hours but it can lead you to better things.
Go over, get a menial kind of job and take it from there, immigration will not look for you before th twelve months are up! Remember the Brits are pretty slick!
It is truly a great experience, SA people are sought after and finding work is easy!
Finally go to the Brit Embassy and ask around, they are quite helpful and at least you will know the official standpoint then.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

New Zealnd, the land of 4 million people and 55 million sheep, where the sound of a zipper being pulled down is feared on all sheep farms, must be one of the most boring countries in the world. It even surpasses Aussie!
However work can be got there and if your parents or close relatives are already there, getting in is a cinch. Try Wellington or the wine areas on the South Island, Malborough around Nelson!
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

If your under 34, you can work for 24 months in the UK.
You can also now work in your own profession.

Before you even consider any kind of work related move overseas (unless you want to backpack) get all your ducks in a row.

Get your CV in order and all your other relevant papers - even your birth certificate. Leave nothing to chance.

Apply for as many jobs as possible before leaving and get interviews. DO NOT go over there without securing at least 3 possible jobs.

Ignore the above if your young and want to just party on down and get a job in a pub.

If your looking for a job in a pub and your a bloke, you better be good with your hands and have a quick wit. If your a chick, the same applies, but looks count more. 70% of "food and beverage conveyors" are women.

Construction work can be had - you need to have stamina and be able to take some stress.

There's other jobs to be had - official irritating barst@rd standing at Victoria (or other main station) telling obvious new backpackers where to get accomodation. You can even clean the parks of London :)
Ridgback

Post by Ridgback »

If u want to work 3 months and go somewhere, work and go somewhere else etc...
Go UK , do the menial job thingy and enjoy it. Security, bar tending etc jobs are available.
If u looking for a future, make 1000% sure its wants you want. Then get all ur stuff together, make it as impressive as u can.
Best of luck, both ways.
I spent 7 years in the UK. :oops:
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Interesting replies by both bb_matt and Ridgback. My suggestion of visiting the Embassy still stands; we have been involved in the unfortunate situation of having a young niece sent back home! Also an older friend was sent straight back because he did not have "all his ducks in a row" as mentioned above. The situation changes daily especially in these security conscious times. Check first and as the others say have everything and more. I visit the UK twice a year and lately I have been asked more in depth questions than before! I am going to shave off my moustache and stay out of the sun in future! :D

bb-matt, Last I heard it 28, but as usual I may be wrong!
skunkymunky
Permanently Banned

Post by skunkymunky »

unfortunately it's under 30 auntie has been turned down several times cos she was 34

but i got a bro ova there, 2 weeks from now it wil be a year in london
he went thru a recruiting agency, 20 000 rands to go.
last i heard he was working two jobs but he says it aint tht stressfull
his got an italian girl too. :D
Fool people into thinking youve got a horse by taking off a unicorns horn
gorak

Post by gorak »

thanks guys for all the info . i am going to the british embassy on thursday to find out how and how many "ducks " in need to get in my "row" . will post the info here if anybody else is interested .

looks loike i will be going there with a holiday visa , and the look for work in the year that i have there .
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

I am interested gorak, post on Friday or whenever you have the info!
Spabel

Post by Spabel »

Gorak : pls post it on friday, as I'd like the info as well.

Thanx :)

JRR TOLKIEN
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

I had a buddy who did the "tourism" thing back in 98, he got a great job in a bar, was earning excellent bucks etc. - bought himself 2 guitars and then his girlfriend back here said she wanted to leave him, so he flew back here to try to patch things up.

He didn't manage to do that, so he returned to the UK.
He got to Heathrow airport and was stopped and searched - just sommer - no reason given.

He said he was just in the UK on holiday, but they found letters from his Dad in his suitcase to the tune of "I'm glad your job is going well"

He spent 2 days at Heathrow sleeping on a chair and was flown back to South Africa (on his own expense) - bottom line, he didn't have a work visa. Very very silly, as it was pretty much free to get one.

Anyway, 3 months later, he tried to get back into the UK through Ireland as someone gave him false information - he got bust again.

He's now living in Australia - they accepted him over there :)
gorak

Post by gorak »

bummer..........so basically u r saying that if you are there on "vacation" and you get a job , to stay there no matter what ?(luckily girlfriend is comming with on "vacation")!!!!!!
skunkymunky
Permanently Banned

Post by skunkymunky »

Well if all else fails the spinchter of the universe Australia is open
Fool people into thinking youve got a horse by taking off a unicorns horn
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

gorak wrote:bummer..........so basically u r saying that if you are there on "vacation" and you get a job , to stay there no matter what ?(luckily girlfriend is comming with on "vacation")!!!!!!
No, just make sure you don't have letters in your suitcase or on you that refer to your job while you're supposed to be on "vacation". Unless you have a work permit, then it doesn't matter.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium