Put on the popcorn

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Spicy-McHaggis

Put on the popcorn

Post by Spicy-McHaggis »

SA finally has its own online DVD rental website similar to the popular NetFlix service in the US.
Known as PushPlay (http://www.pushplay.co.za), the website offers its customers 60000 DVDs to choose from for a flat monthly subscription fee. Subscribers can rent as many DVDs as they want (up to three at a time) and, as with NetFlix, there are no due dates or fees for late returns.

There are three rental options available. The cheapest (R90/month) offers subscribers one DVD rental at a time; the most expensive (R140/month) offers three discs at a time. According to the PushPlay website: “When you return a disc we automatically send you the next disc on your list. This means that you will always have a rotating library of DVDs at home.”

To make the most pricey PushPlay option worthwhile, subscribers will have to watch at least six movies a month, which hardly seems a stretch. For movie junkies, the price is a steal.

The company uses the Post Office for deliveries; consumers are expected to return the discs to special drop boxes, many of which are located in Spar supermarkets around the country. The company says the boxes are emptied each weekday and new discs are sent out as soon as the viewed DVDs have been returned. Shipping in both directions is included in the monthly subscription fee.

In an effort to market the website, PushPlay has launched a programme known as “6 4 6”: if customers get six of their friends to sign up, they’ll get six months’ worth of free DVD rentals.
Sopurce
cool
Hapy happy happy
Back in NL...
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Frikken AWESOME. I'm definitely gonna make use of this service.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

This service contains an immeasurable amount of win :!:

I'm gonna talk to my flatmate - we can go halvies
Cameron_Losco
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Cameron_Losco »

Very cool!
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Very cool indeed.

Just pains me to see such a crap website from them.

There are some other technical issues involved with this concept such as missing DVDs etc so I hope they really have some sort of security measure in place to curb "Buddy" at the PO from building his collection affirmative shopping style.
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Also - another question... Does this mean I can go 50/50 with my buddies and we get the 2 DVD option. One just picks it up continually and the distributes to the other. Then we both pay less... Hell, the 3 option is even better yet. Thus, on Option 2, we both watch 2 DVD's a week. That totals to 8DVD's per month. Much easier than going to a store every morning before 11 or suffering a big fine to pay. Then we have watched 16 dvd's from those guys, for the price of R1xx... Thus under R10 per DVD...

Not too shabby, considering it is delivered.

In newcastle we rented dvd's at the local video store for R10 in any case. Not what is happening in JHB though, these guys are expensive...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
Scarlet_Spider
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Scarlet_Spider »

------
a nikonian from South Africa....
Nikonians
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Scarlet_Spider wrote:www.bigpix.co.za > www.pushplay.co.za

imho... 8)
That only counts if you are in DBN, PushPlay has a wider coverage area. Still not in PE yet :(
Port Elizabeth Wireless User Group
www.pewifi.co.za
BradMcW

NO WAY TO PUSH PLAY

Post by BradMcW »

Push Play - the best way to rent DVD's.

I think not!

To understand this complaint let me explain what Push Play does using their marketing slogans, Unlimited DVD rentals directly to your post box. Free deliveries, No late return fees, No contract.
The service started badly, no DVD's arriving for the first week, something about the post office holding them back, who knows why, after that things improved, DVD's arrived timeously until two went missing, now I am liable because I can not prove that they went missing before they got to their destination, ha - what a joke, never had a problem with post going missing in the past. Somthing about my post box not being secure, yada yada yada

Funny thing is a mate of mine has had a similar experience with DVD's going missing. Sometimes they get held back as parcel post so you have to wait for the collection slip in the mail, then drive to post office, wait in a queue and collect your DVD's, pointless in my opinion. It is much cheaper, and more convenient to collect from your nearest neighbourhood DVD store.

I asked for a telephone no. to discuss , they do not give out their phone number, go figure. All I have is one email address and one contact person.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

http://www.hellopeter.com/

EDIT: I see you already been there.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Scarlet_Spider
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Scarlet_Spider »

Scarlet_Spider wrote:www.bigpix.co.za > www.pushplay.co.za

imho... 8)
i repeat... :wink:

when they get to the rest of the country you'll see how good they are. The service my friends and I have received has been pretty good.
------
a nikonian from South Africa....
Nikonians