Bullet proof film

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Scavenger

Post by Scavenger »

Guys, be realistic here. The film that gets put on car windows, no matter how thick, will not stop a bullet. And I don't care what gun its from! It works for smash and grabs in that when the window shatters, the glass sticks together on the film and therefore the would be thief is unable to get through with his large blunt object. (The same as laminated glass on some sliding doors or shatterproof windows.) It is still worth having on your car in this country though! And with regards to the clips posted by Pino: The second clip demostrated what I'm trying to say, with the glass remaining stuck to the film once smashed. Oh, and I had to chuckle at the way he wound up for the first swing at the unprotected glass in the lab test and was a lot less agressive with the protected window. The first clip is not normal glass... You can see the deep stress fractures running from the impact points whilst the glass remains intact. That stuff is THICK!
Anyway, I still think its worthwhile getting the film... But when there's a guy pointing his 9mil at you outside your window, don't think you can just smile at him and flip the bird!
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Scavenger wrote:Guys, be realistic here. The film that gets put on car windows, no matter how thick, will not stop a bullet. And I don't care what gun its from! It works for smash and grabs in that when the window shatters, the glass sticks together on the film and therefore the would be thief is unable to get through with his large blunt object. (The same as laminated glass on some sliding doors or shatterproof windows.) It is still worth having on your car in this country though! And with regards to the clips posted by Pino: The second clip demostrated what I'm trying to say, with the glass remaining stuck to the film once smashed. Oh, and I had to chuckle at the way he wound up for the first swing at the unprotected glass in the lab test and was a lot less agressive with the protected window. The first clip is not normal glass... You can see the deep stress fractures running from the impact points whilst the glass remains intact. That stuff is THICK!
Anyway, I still think its worthwhile getting the film... But when there's a guy pointing his 9mil at you outside your window, don't think you can just smile at him and flip the bird!
Guess again. I've seen it myself, stopped 3 shots from a .38 Special...

At Defence Concepts they also have a few stories from newspapers posted on the walls about clients that had their film on their windows and it saved their lives.

In one instance, a child's life was saved when his mother was caught up in a shoot out in the middle of town. Her Mini Cooper had the bullet resistant film and the bullet was found imbedded in the window right by her sons head.

Another instance was a woman who was the victim of an attempted hijacking. They fired a .38 at her window at point blank range and it managed to block the shots allowing her to drive off into her yard and close the gate, where people rushed out to help her after hearing the shots, and the hi-jackers ran off.

Obviously it has it's limitations, but in many situations it can and will stop a shot from a handgun such as a .38 or 9 mil which are most commonly used in hi-jackings.

It's not 100%, but it's better than nothing, and in this place you can't be too careful...

BTW: The film in those clips states that it's only 175 micron, the stuff from Defence Concepts is 275 micron.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

WiK1d wrote:
KillerByte wrote:firstly, the Golf. Golf's look like blobs. they look like some one carved a boulder into an abstract vision of a ... stone. They lack any real creativity in their design.

The BMW's lost all their appeal when they started being designed by an American. The 5 series is regarded as one of the ugliest cars in the world. The 3 series is just the uglier younger brother. The only reason I let the 7 series get away with its "smacked in the face with a sledge hammer" looks is cause its so expensive that any one with any sense would rather buy a Merc before they waste their hard earned cash on a 7 series.

People who buy Golf's and BMW's only buy them cause everyone else buys them.

Buy a Lexus, a Merc, a Renault, a Peugot (terrible after sales service), a Citroen (made with bubble gum cause bolts were too expensive), with the free market system if you have money then you can buy any vehicle you can find on the net, order from overseas.

One day I will die. and you know how I will die. It will be in a head on with a 5 series due to the fact that I went mad at the sheer uglyness of the vehicle.
Says the guy with a Tazz :roll:
the Tazz isn't mine. I'm not buying a car in SA since I'm leaving SA for a country where I don't need bullet resistant windows. I'll enjoy my free car with free insurance and free maintenance. When I do buy a car it will be after careful consideration.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

Hman wrote:You planning on becoming president?
ROFL!

A bullet proof film I know of is Bulletproof Monk. :P
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

neon_chameleon wrote:
Hman wrote:You planning on becoming president?
ROFL!

A bullet proof film I know of is Bulletproof Monk. :P
thought the exact same thing. lol
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

Chow Yung Fat and Sean William Scott, and a nice pretty kick-a$$ girl what more could you want in a movie?

Sorry for the hijack cyclic.
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Same here - just did not have the courage to say so :lol:
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

Scavenger wrote:Guys, be realistic here. The film that gets put on car windows, no matter how thick, will not stop a bullet. And I don't care what gun its from! It works for smash and grabs in that when the window shatters, the glass sticks together on the film and therefore the would be thief is unable to get through with his large blunt object. (The same as laminated glass on some sliding doors or shatterproof windows.) It is still worth having on your car in this country though! And with regards to the clips posted by Pino: The second clip demostrated what I'm trying to say, with the glass remaining stuck to the film once smashed. Oh, and I had to chuckle at the way he wound up for the first swing at the unprotected glass in the lab test and was a lot less agressive with the protected window. The first clip is not normal glass... You can see the deep stress fractures running from the impact points whilst the glass remains intact. That stuff is THICK!
:wink:

Ignorance is bliss right....

I'm also getting the 15mm windows. With that, i can flip not one, but 2 birds.
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ 2 x 2GB Corsaire XMS3 DDR3-1333
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

KillerByte wrote:Ranting of about something
dude, you lack a life.
Scavenger

Post by Scavenger »

I'll leave this one for Carte Blanche to test out (Or Mythbusters). Till I've seen it I won't believe it. :D (I have been wrong before though!)
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

I enquired about the price of some bulletproof glass, was R1600 for 2 pieces of 75mm thick. That glass can stop 5.52mm nato rounds. Thus I am doubtfull about the strenght of these films.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

Scavenger wrote:I'll leave this one for Carte Blanche to test out (Or Mythbusters). Till I've seen it I won't believe it. :D (I have been wrong before though!)
Lol. Mythbusters do use it. When they do explosions they use bullet proof glass with film to protect themselves.
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Just thought of something, what happens if your in an accident and your doors are jammed shut, and your car starts to burn? Will you manage to break the windows out?
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Scavenger

Post by Scavenger »

Lol. Mythbusters do use it. When they do explosions they use bullet proof glass with film to protect themselves.

Mythbusters use thick perspex in the majority of their experiments, and its resistant against low cal munitions and buckshot...

Go to wikipedia (It tells no lies! lol) and type "bulletproof". Read all the related articles on plastic, glass armour etc. It should dispel any belief you guys may have in the bulletproof/resistant film... although I probably underestimate the stubbornness on this issue. :wink:
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

Scavenger wrote:

Mythbusters use thick perspex in the majority of their experiments, and its resistant against low cal munitions and buckshot...

Go to wikipedia (It tells no lies! lol) and type "bulletproof". Read all the related articles on plastic, glass armour etc. It should dispel any belief you guys may have in the bulletproof/resistant film... although I probably underestimate the stubbornness on this issue. :wink:
The film is resistant. I'm not going to try to convince you. My suggestion is that you go and see a demo.
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Scavenger

Post by Scavenger »

Do you know where I'd be able to see a demo in Durban by any chance? If it is true don't worry, I'll be the first to let you say "I told you so!". :D