Seirei no Moribito (Guardian of the Sacred Spirit)

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
larch

Seirei no Moribito (Guardian of the Sacred Spirit)

Post by larch »

Seirei no Moribito (Guardian of the Sacred Spirit) is based on a Novel series created by Nahoko Uehashi. It was published as a hardback novel and found popularity with children and adults alike

Animated by Production I.G (the company responsible for shows like (Blood+ and Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex) and directed by Kenji Kamiyama (also of Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex fame). It 1st started airing on April 7 2007 on Japanese local TV station "NHK"

The opening theme is sung by L'Arc~en~Ciel and is called "Shine" and for u who don't know L'Arc~en~Ciel is one of the most popular Japanese rock bands today.

Synopsis:

Balsa the spear woman is a wandering warrior, who takes on the task of saving lives, in atonement for a past sin and for the life that was spent on saving her. On her journey, she happens to save a prince, and is tasked with becoming his bodyguard. And he is going to need one, for his own father, the emperor, wants him dead.

Thoughts:

One of the 1st things that attracted me to the anime was the art style, the female lead looks almost exactly like Saiya from Blood+. But thats to be expected since its the same company and art director. 2nd thing that got my attention was the action sequences instead of the traditional weapon like a Katana or Wakizashi being used, the lead character uses a spear as her weapon of choice which makes for some very good fight scenes.

And last but not least the plot its just the right mix of action and story, but its still early days only 5 episodes have been released so far I will keep my eye on it for now but I am pretty much hooked on this show.