Durban - Proposed Name Changes

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

@ least they are giving the guys in Durb's a heads up... we stood up one morning and we weren't living in the same street anymore... in fact I have no way of directing anyone to my house anymore cause I don't know the names of the streets leading up to it anymore :?
If you are at your Wits End...
Severed Fifth - Changing the way the music industry works, one song at a time!
Ike

Post by Ike »

thEnaileDonE wrote:@ least they are giving the guys in Durb's a heads up... we stood up one morning and we weren't living in the same street anymore... in fact I have no way of directing anyone to my house anymore cause I don't know the names of the streets leading up to it anymore :?
you go up to sewer street, then you go through uhuru (very fast) and then turn right at corruption street. You then go up 3 blocks and turn left on hero jippo street. go up one block turn right at bribe street and the 3rd house that is painted white with green grass that's my house....
NealeDeadlyAlien
Registered Bush Snake Facehugger

Post by NealeDeadlyAlien »

Well IMO I actually think its totally ridiculous... Some how I think this country works backyards. They rather spend Billions on Name changes and cracking down on Smokers with that stupid Law now, when the entire Country is in Fear and crysis because of the shocking crime rates.

Hmm it makes me wonder where their priorities lie.
zerubabel

Post by zerubabel »

Scarlet_Spider wrote:oh by the way - if you live in Phoenix, sorry but you just got downgraded - you now live in Mahatma Ghandhi Township
hahahahahaha pwnd!!

Anyways, WTF Yasser kakafat??
I would understand that name in Iran or something, but WTF has he done for South Africa?
Putting the name of a big terrorist who wasn't even liked by palestinians, is totally FKed imo.

I would not have a problem with Zuma Township, Mbeki Highway, or even Sipho Street, but wth put arafat, castro et al, morons who did nothing for SA, and did worse for others...

Oh well, this just proves our leaders are messed up.

Maybe I should start agreeing with ike on the terrorist issue.
Thats the only reason I could see for the ANC allowing such names...
Fut Fut Fut Freestailo!
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

LordRage wrote:As they said in Blood Diamond - TIA.
Yep, TIA guys!

Lazarus - Shattered Halls

ek se hosh. dala kulids. ghle, ho! oom, atts! hoe lyk die kambotcha? gwallafest 2007
cYcLIc

Re: !

Post by cYcLIc »

Gatsby wrote:What? Get told that you think that way because you are black? Get outta here! No one here thinks that way anymore.
What the hell are you talking about? What does this have to do with the quote you sourced from me?
Gatsby wrote:And btw, there is no way you could ever possibly convince me that changing names of things is more important than using the tax payers money to combat real issues like crime, child abuse, education and improving the government medical sector, public roads etc etc.
Hence the last sentence of my first paragraph in my previous post. :roll:

Why hasn't his post been edited?!
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ 2 x 2GB Corsaire XMS3 DDR3-1333
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Scarlet_Spider
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Scarlet_Spider »

right.... anyone else got any views / opinions on the situation?
or even some breaking news on the whole thing

*shameless bump... i know :wink:*
------
a nikonian from South Africa....
Nikonians
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

they want to name a street in Toti after a guy that planted a bomb and killed 3 or more people.

the irony is the it all happened in Toti
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

cYcLIc wrote:
Gatsby wrote:What? Get told that you think that way because you are black? Get outta here! No one here thinks that way anymore.
What the hell are you talking about? What does this have to do with the quote you sourced from me?
Gatsby wrote:And btw, there is no way you could ever possibly convince me that changing names of things is more important than using the tax payers money to combat real issues like crime, child abuse, education and improving the government medical sector, public roads etc etc.

You should lay off the crack.

Lazarus - Shattered Halls

ek se hosh. dala kulids. ghle, ho! oom, atts! hoe lyk die kambotcha? gwallafest 2007
visnwbs

Post by visnwbs »

a small lining- most of those names are long and difficult. They are even looking at renaming my suburb after an actually great man, Gandhi, but guess what, even we won't be using that name 'Mahatma Gandhi township'. Fools.

Actually, my suburb was named BY Gandhi. Maybe we will be just a post code. Can you imagine the morning traffic reports? Think we will end up running with the names parallel, and slowly losing the new names that is a mouthful to every colour.

These new names are the only legacy that the ANC can leave, they have badly failed the man in the street. The ppl in Zim now know their oppressor, but its too late.
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

These new names are the only legacy that the ANC can leave, they have badly failed the man in the street. The ppl in Zim now know their oppressor, but its too late.
Trust me, when voting time comes, all that will happen is lip service and those falling for it.
And those people are the very same people that need it the most.
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

KillerByte wrote:they want to name a street in Toti after a guy that planted a bomb and killed 3 or more people.

They wanted to rename our municipality to one of the guys that tried to blow up SASOL all those years ago... and SASOL said you just dare... and they didn't :)
If you are at your Wits End...
Severed Fifth - Changing the way the music industry works, one song at a time!
Neon948

Post by Neon948 »

Keep the names the same.
Desktop - Intel Q6600 @ 3Ghz (Can Go Up To 3.618Ghz), P5Q Deluxe, 4GB DDR2 1066 5-5-5-15, ATI 4870 1GB 775\1000, 2x 750 GB 32MB Cashe HDDs RAID0, Antec Nine Hundred, 750W PSU, GDM-FW900 (2304 x 1440).

Laptop - Dell 1720, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz T7300, 2.5GB DDR2 667 1x512GB, 17" (1920 x 1200).
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

thEnaileDonE wrote:
KillerByte wrote:they want to name a street in Toti after a guy that planted a bomb and killed 3 or more people.

They wanted to rename our municipality to one of the guys that tried to blow up SASOL all those years ago... and SASOL said you just dare... and they didn't :)
Well, that just proves that the ANC is not a political party, it's a terrorist organization... :roll:
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
HuNtingGoof

Post by HuNtingGoof »

Hmm.. no more needed to be said really!!

The name changes are what I call a huge waste of OUR money that yes can be used for housing, combatting crime, education, etc...

This just proves that the mentality of the ANC political/terrorist party is almost nix to none better then my dogs poo.. Can't really say anything that i wanna say.. :(

Also this proves that all they are wanting to do is personalise everything that they can before the ANC gets voted out. It'll be alot more expensive to rechange the names back if n when there's a new government...

I thinks we should protest this waste of our money!!
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

Gatsby wrote:
cYcLIc wrote:

You should lay off the crack.
Grow up. :roll:
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ 2 x 2GB Corsaire XMS3 DDR3-1333
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
LordRage

Post by LordRage »

I have to disagree with you Hunting Goof. The ANC's seats in parliament have grown steadily through the 10+ years that they have been in power. Not only that, but they have control over more and more of the provinces. They are not going anywhere for quite a while. In my opinion, our fledgling democracy will, like the rest of Africa, become a dictatorship in the guise of a democracy.

The main problem as I see it, is that South African's still vote along racial lines. Not who is best suited to run the country, or who has the best political ideology. As long as this remains, ANC will stay in power.

EDIT:

In reference to what I have stated, I would say the reason they are changing the names, is to show the previously advantaged that they are in power. Almost an assertion of their dominance.
Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity. (Karl Marx)
HuNtingGoof

Post by HuNtingGoof »

LordRage wrote:In reference to what I have stated, I would say the reason they are changing the names, is to show the previously advantaged that they are in power. Almost an assertion of their dominance.
I don't mind you disagreeing with me and I actually have noticed that their seats are growing, but I feal that with this Zuma affair and HIS power/recognition increasing.. There's a possibility that if he were to run for president under his own party then the ANC might be losing alot of votes..
LordRage

Post by LordRage »

Very true, actually I didnt think of that. Not only that, but if our deputy runs for president it could create a problem, cos she is a woman. I hope you are right in your prediction, I prefer your outcome to mine.
Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity. (Karl Marx)
HuNtingGoof

Post by HuNtingGoof »

Hmmm.. I dunno if it's a better outcome!! Remember Zuma is a communist which means that it'll be alot more worse then our current Mbeki..

Although I dunno how our dept president will fair thou..

We'll have to see..
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

In reference to what I have stated, I would say the reason they are changing the names, is to show the previously advantaged that they are in power. Almost an assertion of their dominance.
Smart move. :roll: And show the world where our priorities lie.
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

A suggestion:

Why not got a nameplate printing place, somewhere in scotsburgh (Dont know the spelling) or umtentweni or where ever

and print the original street names on a bunch of boards.

Then when ever they change it, go change it back.
and keep doing it, never give up!!!! :?:

You will probly find that they have wasted so much money they wont fix it
often , so you will only have to change it every 5 months.
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Why not just assasinate all the n00bs? :twisted:
Come to think of it. Why not just send an assasin over to take care of the mugabe situation?
Gargmel

Post by Gargmel »

Cause do you know how many idiots will just use that as an excuse to prove some obscure point (Own agenda etc....)? Don't underestimate the stupidity of the average man (read between the lines as you like here)
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

And the ANC...Image