Durban - Proposed Name Changes

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Scarlet_Spider
Moderator Emeritus

Durban - Proposed Name Changes

Post by Scarlet_Spider »

Greetings... please give me your opinions on the proposed name changes for the Durban roads and some buildings

For those of you that didn't see the full 181 street name list in the paper yesterday (i think its that many) i will try and get them posted up here asap..

FYI - some of the more random ones:

Moore Road (Glenwood) - Che Guvara Road (big WTF Mate here)
Higginson Highway (Pinetown area) - Yasser Arafat Freeway
Ridge Road (I *think* it was ridge road) will be Fidel Castro road (there was definetely a road by that name, as I said not sure if it was ridge road or not)

ja.. Mike Sutcliffe (Durban city manager) was quoted as saying "The image of the city needs to better reflect the current times"

Personally i think that a city's image is not defined by its street names, I think its history can be read by them though.
also... now they'll have to change the street names in Monopoly :wink:

Let me know your thoughts on the above (and lets keep it clean - this is not a race issue - any post along those lines will be removed)

shot

SS
------
a nikonian from South Africa....
Nikonians
rustypup

Re: Durban - Proposed Name Changes

Post by rustypup »

Scarlet_Spider wrote: Che Guvara Road
Yasser Arafat Freeway
Fidel Castro road
can someone explain to me what che guevera, yasser arafat and fidel, 'fear-the-beard', castro have to do with anything around durban?...

every day, in every way, i become more and more convinced that someone has not only lost the plot, but probably smoked it wrapped around some medicinal herb.... :evil:

i'm surprised good 'ol mike stood up in support of this prime example of brain-stormage.. he's been one of the few sane voices out there... when even he can resort to this level of stupidity, i can only imagine what lies in store for this city... bad mike... no increase.
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

thts crazy names, durban is known worldwide not by the street names, thats just gonna cause confusion, tourists gonna be there, see the names and say (translated from hungarian or chinese or yetisville lol) "hold on, i thought we in durban SA, now the street says we in iraq or some other country...im never coming here again they fly us to a warzone." lol ok silly example i know.

but you rite its not the names of the streets that make the city its the atmosphere and people thats there, and changing the name is gonna upset thoes people and then the atmosphere is defenitely gonna be bad for "current times"
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

Scarlet_Spider wrote:Che Guvara Road
Yasser Arafat Freeway
Fidel Castro road
:? I wish I was in that meeting where they decided on these names. I have no problem with name changes, but these names are messed up. How embarassing.
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ 2 x 2GB Corsaire XMS3 DDR3-1333
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

What a waste of time, money and resources that will only cause confusion and frustration. The way this country is being run is turning out to be quite a sad joke.

Lazarus - Shattered Halls

ek se hosh. dala kulids. ghle, ho! oom, atts! hoe lyk die kambotcha? gwallafest 2007
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Someone must have gotten some "presents"
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

rustypup wrote:
Scarlet_Spider wrote: Che Guvara Road
Yasser Arafat Freeway
Fidel Castro road
can someone explain to me what che guevera, yasser arafat and fidel, 'fear-the-beard', castro have to do with anything around durban?...
And even SA in general...
How many stuff(maps, books, signs, etc) much be changed and how much tax money will it suck up?
Do we need at at this point in time or is there someone with a big e-weener behind all this?
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

cYcLIc wrote:I have no problem with name changes
so you would rank flushing a billion or so rand down the tube in favour of cultural indoctrination above equiping the police force, production of low cost housing, improved educational facilities, clinics or healthcare, upgraded libraries, etc? 8O

i get that there is a strong need, in certain circles, to scab over the past, but this does nothing for anyone other than the politicos trying to pretend that they actually do something to earn their monthly pay-packet... this is window dressing - that the majority of our fellow citizens don't get that this is nothing other than a juvenile attempt at mis-direction is very concerning... frustrating, yes, but deeply disturbing all the same...
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

rustypup wrote:
cYcLIc wrote:I have no problem with name changes
so you would rank flushing a billion or so rand down the tube in favour of cultural indoctrination above equiping the police force, production of low cost housing, improved educational facilities, clinics or healthcare, upgraded libraries, etc? 8O

i get that there is a strong need, in certain circles, to scab over the past, but this does nothing for anyone other than the politicos trying to pretend that they actually do something to earn their monthly pay-packet... this is window dressing - that the majority of our fellow citizens don't get that this is nothing other than a juvenile attempt at mis-direction is very concerning... frustrating, yes, but deeply disturbing all the same...
I would suggest as to why he doesn't mind the name changes, but I won't. Lets just say it comes with the territory.

ek se hosh. dala kulids. ghle, ho! oom, atts! hoe lyk die kambotcha? gwallafest 2007
style121

Post by style121 »

I doubt they're going to listen to the publics voice about the issue anyway, since it sounds like its all been decided long before any objections were voiced.

You'd think they would've at least made the names shorter so we could pronounce them in one breath :roll:
capanno

Post by capanno »

This is bs. Ive been working through my vendetta against this country and in the past 2-3 months ive made allot of progress. My shrink says so. Now Im back to square 1.

Name changes are the fruits that showcase the incompetence of this government. And this time round its not even a change to something like Mr Sipho Xlapebanspaai. Those men were total loons. Yasser Arafat was an outspoken hater of jews, and supported acts of murder. Who in their right mind would want to honor a freak like him? Oh yes, our government. These papaya heads need to get the hell out of office.
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

capanno wrote:This is bs.
THIS IS SPARTA!

Ark
Processor: E4400
Graphics card: 8800GTX
Memory: 4GB DDR2

Post by Ark »

style121 wrote:I doubt they're going to listen to the publics voice about the issue anyway, since it sounds like its all been decided long before any objections were voiced.

You'd think they would've at least made the names shorter so we could pronounce them in one breath :roll:
Agreed.

A side note: What does Yasser Parravat have to do with anything?
16-bit Corpse
Spoiler: (show)
I like scrota.
Scarlet_Spider
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Scarlet_Spider »

Found it!

here are the proposed street names...

http://www.durban.gov.za/durban/Municip ... 4Final.pdf

oh by the way - if you live in Phoenix, sorry but you just got downgraded - you now live in Mahatma Ghandhi Township

email your concerns and opinions here -> corporategis@durban.gov.za
------
a nikonian from South Africa....
Nikonians
amd64

Post by amd64 »

Gatsby wrote:
capanno wrote:This is bs.
THIS IS SPARTA!

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :P :D
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

its crazy, they should be preparing us for the world cup and focusing on that and structural improvements, how much time and money and effort is wasted on changing names and nonsense like that? is that all they wanna do to prepare, oooh and aaah the pants of the tourists with the new names so they so confused by the out of place names they dont care bout hte state of our country and the children on the streets? :evil:
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
LordRage

Post by LordRage »

Personally, and this may be the insane amount of pain killers I am on, but who cares what they do to the country. Your voice is not going to be heard. Your email of concern are going to be "DELETED". Really, they will do what they want.

@ Rusty, if you think Mike in any way shape or form has been the voice of reason in this city, then you need a lobotomy. He is an incompetent prat. He was behind the get any car with mags off the road fiasco (because they all racers now dont you know), he took away overtime of the police, he took away the shift allowance of the police. The guy is a black wannabee. My friend knows one of his nephews, and even his family hate him, the guy says all he loves is money. He is all about himself, and how much money he can make by screwing over other people (mostly whites) (as evidenced by what he has done to the police).

My guess is, someone very high up has a brother/some family relative that just bought shares in a map making company, that needed a boost in revenue.
Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity. (Karl Marx)
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

nm
Last edited by cYcLIc on 23 Apr 2007, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

:? errr wow... :?

how the frig will a name change help improve the status of the country? oh i get it its meant to make people feel better by making them feel better (eg: increasing their morale) they forget about the stuffed up situation and unfulfilled promises that have been made... :?

as Obelix said "These romans are crazy!"

as I say "These politicians are crazy!"

*edit*

OT

Hello Scarlet how are you? What you been up to mate? :P
Last edited by Anakha56 on 23 Apr 2007, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

@Gatsby&&Cyclic:
Scarlet_Spider wrote:this is not a race issue - any post along those lines will be removed
<< this was the hint... please don't make me look at you in a funny way....

@LordRage: i agree he has not been a shining beacon of intellect in some of his decisions... :wink:

<still crawling through the list... some of these names are not making as much sense as they should... not that we should be surprised....

<edit>
i see the blood-colored arachnid beat me to it...

@Cyclic - answer the question: is this an acceptable, (in your mind), use of their time, resources and city budget in context of the societal issues faced by their constituents?
</edit>
Last edited by rustypup on 23 Apr 2007, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
LordRage

Post by LordRage »

lol, thats a very politically correct way of putting it... ;) lol...
Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity. (Karl Marx)
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

rustypup wrote:@Cyclic - answer the question: is this an acceptable, (in your mind), use of their time, resources and city budget in context of the societal issues faced by their constituents?
</edit>
I don't have to answer anything. I've been through this debate a countless number of times and I've heard every single side. I don't want to get into it because I know exactly whats going to happen.

cYclizzle signing out.
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Gatsby

!

Post by Gatsby »

cYcLIc wrote:I don't want to get into it because I know exactly whats going to happen.

cYclizzle signing out.
What? Get told that you think that way because you are black? Get outta here! No one here thinks that way anymore.

And btw, there is no way you could ever possibly convince me that changing names of things is more important than using the tax payers money to combat real issues like crime, child abuse, education and improving the government medical sector, public roads etc etc.

Ike

Post by Ike »

Fidel Castro road
:roll: Luckily he is dying. I think all the cubans that are living abroad share the same sentiment :)

the ANC can die in a fire, they are a bunch of terrorists and will never change...

Bite Me. :P
LordRage

Post by LordRage »

As they said in Blood Diamond - TIA.