Best car for +-200K

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
beerman

Post by beerman »

To the OP

I have the Honda 1.8 VXI (auto) and I'm not sorry for one day that I have it. Driving is sheer pleasure and the service from Honda is even better! Over an above that, before I bought the car, I phoned a few 2nd hand car dealers to find out which models/make retain their value the best over time. They ranked Honda 1st, BMW 2nd and Audi 3rd .. And no, I never mentioned to them what car I was interested in.

As a matter of interest, I owned a Renault Scenic II before that. Sorry to say, Tribble, but it was a waste of money. Broke down so often and Renault kept on breaking it even further with each service. The customer service was SHOCKING!!! Even when I phoned Head office to complain, they would ignore me!! Was offered less than 50% of the original value after 18 months! Eventually lost 30k on the car, but was glad to let it go!

Beerman
My 2c ...
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

beerman wrote:To the OP

I have the Honda 1.8 VXI (auto) and I'm not sorry for one day that I have it. Driving is sheer pleasure and the service from Honda is even better! Over an above that, before I bought the car, I phoned a few 2nd hand car dealers to find out which models/make retain their value the best over time. They ranked Honda 1st, BMW 2nd and Audi 3rd .. And no, I never mentioned to them what car I was interested in.

As a matter of interest, I owned a Renault Scenic II before that. Sorry to say, Tribble, but it was a waste of money. Broke down so often and Renault kept on breaking it even further with each service. The customer service was SHOCKING!!! Even when I phoned Head office to complain, they would ignore me!! Was offered less than 50% of the original value after 18 months! Eventually lost 30k on the car, but was glad to let it go!

Beerman
Haha, the sales people were talking crap, trust me I know. I used to own a BMW and now drive an Audi and both those cars have some of the worst resale in SA... Honda is pretty decent though.

Must agree with you on Renault. All french cars might be nice as hell, but they're very unreliable, have terrible resale here, are a nightmare to maintain and have terrible service in SA.
STIR

Post by STIR »

beerman wrote:To the OP

Beerman

Thanks beerman, ive decided to definitely go for a Honda, I just haven’t heard a negative comment about them lately, just to decide on the civic or accord.
(We have similar tastes in beer as well it seems MGD mmmmmm)
beerman

Post by beerman »

You won't regret it .. I'm sure. Not sure where you're based, but I can recommend West Rand Honda, JHB. VERY professional and they usually ask me when I want to bring my car in for service (next day etc.) as opposed to telling me that I have to wait 2-3 weeks (Renault!)

Honda Accord would be helluva nice ... I just found that the Civic VXi (auto) is a "full house" setup at a lower price. Even though this makes me sound like an old man, I'd recommend you get auto .. it just makes for smooth and hassle-free driving!

Beerman
My 2c ...