What's up with "internet language"?

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
naughty

Post by naughty »

trust me
haha - that will be on a day when its snowing in hell
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
gifs

Post by gifs »

I've always wondered what FTW means, I'm sure someone will be able to tell me.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics, even if you win you are still retarded
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

for the win = ftw :D:D
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Monty wrote:I do not really mind a bit of "733t speak" in posts etc. hell i even use it myself. What i dislike is when a post is hard to understand because of it, or someone uses when talking to someone else
isn't it 1337?
naughty wrote:
STFU hippy
ah - really great response - you reeally showed me "who's my daddy" LOL :wink:
ROFL! Nice...
Sickwacky

Post by Sickwacky »

-=WiK1d=- wrote:isn't it 1337?

Yeah, I think so :lol: :P
someidiotsa

Post by someidiotsa »

Yup its 1337...

Now that we on the subject of internet lingo, what does STFU mean? Yes, I know I am slow, but I always thought it meant Stuff you (Im just hoping I am right)

And well I don't mind if people use shortened versions of writing styles, but I prefer to write with proper english as it is easier to type with the dictionary on a cellphone, and well its just to much hassle to actually shorten words as you have to remember when to leave out letters, why use all that effort?
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

It means shut the **** up.
someidiotsa

Post by someidiotsa »

Damn, I was so close lol. Thanks for the reply though.
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

Sickwacky wrote:

:oops: :oops: My bad...

Though, i am not at all concerned...
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Sickwacky

Post by Sickwacky »

Monty wrote:
Sickwacky wrote:

:oops: :oops: My bad...

Though, i am not at all concerned...
:wink:

I've got a question!

What does the Z in like e.g. zomfg! stand for? :oops:
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

Think it originaly was a typo, the typist would press 'Z' by mistake instead of shift. EG: instead of Omg, zomg
Sickwacky

Post by Sickwacky »

:lol:

maybe it is like z00t!?!? :lol:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Okay wait, i obviously didn't explain my first post properly.

I dont care about stuff like "lol" of "w00t" or "rofl", etc etc etc, but i get irritated when normal words are changed. Like my "No, that girl is crazy" example...
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Sickwacky

Post by Sickwacky »

First tell me if the Z is for z00t! :lol: :P
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

z99t you n99bcake
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Wellcome back to the real life SISA...
Sickwacky

Post by Sickwacky »

oh, BTW FYI ATM i'm tired :roll:

night
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

cheers...love the avatar! w99t w99t...cheers you n99bcakes...my liver or kidneys or whatever needs rest...so says dem docs...oh well
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Breaking away from the above, I too feel that this internet lingo, poor excuse for perverse English, is simply. Nonsense.

But those of us who are fortunate to travel the world will notice that the average knowledge power of people is low, very low. Personally I think this language is a safe haven for them. A neo nomenclature that makes them feel king. It's their world after all, or so they think. Anyway, I'm just being presumptuous as we all use lol and such. Figure it yourself.

And I don't judge people from the way they express themselves textually. For example I usually dont reread what I'm typing nor is it possible to transmute thoughts into words quick enough. Judging people by their texts easily shows how myopic a person is.

Through grammar play you can manipulate the way a person reads your post. Simply put. It's. Fun. Some of you would usually pause at the periods creating an emphasis. Like that there are many other ways of manipulation.

Another reason is that feigning a personality on the internet is child's play. Manipulating masses using mulitple identities is the fun part.

This topic is vast, but I suppose we can carry on playing with our l33t toys.

Pompuos? Yes.
Postmodern? You think?
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

On the one hand you say that people are generally not that smart.
But those of us who are fortunate to travel the world will notice that the average knowledge power of people is low, very low.
But then in the next breath you credit them with vast amounts of literary ability, and also quite a bit bit of psychological prowess.
Through grammar play you can manipulate the way a person reads your post...
...feigning a personality on the internet is child's play. Manipulating masses using mulitple identities is the fun part.
I choose to take what people post on forums at face value, if what you post makes no sense, I tend to think you are either not English speaking - or a moron. Usually the latter. Maybe thats myopic, but this is an impersonal and relatively anonymous medium of communication, where the only thing I am able to judge you by is the text you post. So if you post like you are retarded, I will tend to think that you are in fact retarded
naughty

Post by naughty »

but guys - you are losing track of the fact that the internet is supposed to be fun - yeah i suppose its nice when people write with perfect grammar and spelling but wheres the fun in that

in each forum there are sections - some are serious and others not as much - so in the serious sections - its best to be serious - but in the fun sections why carry on like you majored in english at "varsity" level

to call people retards and cretins because of the way they type is just wrong on so many levels - most of my friends use slang when speaking for real - if i had to type that way most you guys would be lost

as ive said - on forums the aim is just to get the idea across - if you do it in a humourous way it adds to the fun - if you do it in a serious way it detracts from the fun - and considering that you dont know most of the people in the forum why try to impress people - im more interested in the whats and why's to worry about the how - how someone communicates is unimportant as long as they are able to convey the message - and id be so bold as to suggest that is why the language exists in the first place

its interesting to note that people chose to speak in different ways to express their personalities - the world would be a boring place if everybody spoke at "english major" level with perfect english and pretended to be what they are not for the sake of creating an impression

i hate pretentious people - and i appreciate people who dont want to put on airs (jamin - im sure you arent like that - or at least i would have sworn you were not like that judging from your previous postings) - if you remove all the people who act retarded then im sure you would only be left with maybe 3 to 4 members all talking flowery english - do you think that forums are for that ????

in conclusion i can only say that lots of people "who can talk the talk cannot walk" - so why try to prove you are smart by the way you are talking
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

naughty wrote:but guys - you are losing track of the fact that the internet is supposed to be fun - yeah i suppose its nice when people write with perfect grammar and spelling but wheres the fun in that
I would like to know were the fun is in being known as an idiot or a moron... I would much rather take 30seconds more on each reply, than submiting a reply that that gets critisied by people...
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

yeah i suppose its nice when people write with perfect grammar and spelling but wheres the fun in that

in each forum there are sections - some are serious and others not as much - so in the serious sections - its best to be serious - but in the fun sections why carry on like you majored in english at "varsity" level
I agree totally. I said in previous posts - I expect good grammar when asking questions or requesting assistance (especially in the technical threads). I dont care much about the chillout threads - I post like a bigger moron than anyone in there.
to call people retards and cretins because of the way they type is just wrong on so many levels - most of my friends use slang when speaking for real - if i had to type that way most you guys would be lost
Dont talk to a bruin-ou about slang :P
i hate pretentious people - and i appreciate people who dont want to put on airs (jamin - im sure you arent like that - or at least i would have sworn you were not like that judging from your previous postings)
I'm not pretentious and I definitly do not have any airs and graces, but just like I reserve the right to consider you a moron if you can not post intelligently when necessary, I am perfectly happy for people to form whatever opinion of me they choose.

PS - my mother is an English lecturer at the Tekwini Colleges (LC Johnson, Mobeni FET and a few others) so maybe thats why I am a bit harsh :P
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Jamin...are you saying i'm a moran? Eish you n99b...lol

No seriously...when I post in techie sections I try tee keep it civilised...and I expect other people to do it aswell (Psyclown :twisted: ) because it will make your problem and comments easier to understand...

In the chillout section I don't really care...but i still try to type normally...i mean seriously...what If you get SO used to it...and then one day you have to type a letter to some important person or something...what is he/she/they gonna think when they get that letter..

Another thing that irritates me is when a person makes constant spelling mistakes...sheeeze...i hate it...

Anyways...w99t go on with teh spamming..
Sickwacky

Post by Sickwacky »

-=WiK1d=- wrote:Jamin...are you saying i'm a moran? Eish you n99b...lol

No seriously...when I post in techie sections I try tee keep it civilised...and I expect other people to do it aswell (Psyclown :twisted: ) because it will make your problem and comments easier to understand...
lol... what about this then? :P
-=WiK1d=- wrote:*Ducks behind the table...

*Shouts "You'll never take me alive"
AHAAHHAHAHHAHAHA!!!! w99t!