Anime Hdd Virus

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Abatis

Anime Hdd Virus

Post by Abatis »

Alright ppl we have a small problem, the disk had a virus on it.
i cleaned it so it is no more, however any pc's it came in contact with and that did not have anti-vir on might be in trouble

i forgot the precise name but it was something like w32.tr@xis or something, the virus seems to create a exe in subfolders with the name of the parent folder
What does man fear most? That no one will understand him, or that someone truly might?
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

Thanx for the warning bru. I just noticed now that there's double of most my folders on my flash disc. I'll kill the bugger tonight.
t3h blog
"Hail Eärendil, of mariners most renowned, the looked for that cometh at unawares, the longed for that cometh beyond hope! Hail Eärendil, bearer of light before the Sun and Moon! Splendour of the Children of Earth, star in the darkness, jewel in the sunset, radiant in the morning!"

Of the Voyage of Eärendil , The Silmarillion
Black-Ice

Post by Black-Ice »

Maybe you should do a full scan of the drive...

-The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth
-Man fears the darkness, and so he scrapes away at the edges of it with fire

KITTEN HUFFING <- Clicky :lol:
GOVERNMENT WARNING: According to the Surgeon General, the use of kitten huffing impairs your ability to drive a car or operate machinery, and may cause health problems.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

I didn't even think something like this will ever happen.

Abatis are you sure you killed it? Is the drive 100% clean now? Any traces left that should be deleted manually?

I'll take a look at it when I get it as well so don't go out of your way now. Though I'll admit I'm not looking forward to it as I just did a fresh install a week ago.

So guys, which one of you's to blame for this little mishap?

(Don't worry, I'm not really expecting an answer.)

In any case, I guess it's not the end of the world.

/ However, be as it may, I'm not impressed.

One ignorant fool among you now complicated things for the rest of us. No one in his right mind would ever willingly access infected data harmful to his pc.

That said, 485Gb of anime is quite a **** lot of precious data providing each trader with enough video material to last months. And on the same note, I want all of you to realize the fact that this data did not magically appear out of nowhere, it took many hours of seeding by a lot of traders to get it to this point. It took just jamin alone about 7 hours to seed. It must have taken OTC about the same time to rename all the files he did. And that's not even mentioning all the other seeders.

What if this infection was worse? What if it actually digged into the files? Hey, what then? ...

Show some appreciation please people.

If you are not willing to do a virus scan that takes approximately 10 minutes max before connecting the drive to your pc then you should not have access to it in the first place.

You know guys, my initial plan was to just through in the drive, say nothing, and just let things take care of itself. But with the number of implications just from this first round, I can already see this turning into a circus.

As such, I'm left with no choice but to say this, and I'm going to say this only once -

The next time this happens will be the last.

It's evident allowing too much grace can never be a good thing.

This is the first and final warning.

I'll update the "...Members & FAQ's" thread accordingly soon. /
Abatis

Post by Abatis »

Rayne wrote:Abatis are you sure you killed it? Is the drive 100% clean now? Any traces left that should be deleted manually?

I'll take a look at it when I get it as well so don't go out of your way now. Though I'll admit I'm not looking forward to it as I just did a fresh install a week ago.
the drive is 100% clean, but your welcome to do any additional scanning, everythings fine was just major waste of time because i had to scan my drives aswell, but should be finished by tonight and i'll send it your way first thing tomorrow
What does man fear most? That no one will understand him, or that someone truly might?
Black-Ice

Post by Black-Ice »

Hmm... I trust my anti-virus... when the drive comes my way I could do a scan.

-The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth
-Man fears the darkness, and so he scrapes away at the edges of it with fire

KITTEN HUFFING <- Clicky :lol:
GOVERNMENT WARNING: According to the Surgeon General, the use of kitten huffing impairs your ability to drive a car or operate machinery, and may cause health problems.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

Hmm. Maybe it came with one of the programs on the drive? Like the Lolifox one talked about in the other tread? Those proggies are usally droppers for viruses and crap.
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

I agree, sorry to hear this has caused problems, and there are free anti virus progs people, at least use them.
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

It's a possibility that one of those proggies had a virus in them. Heck, I ain't trying it out, cos I've seen too much OS installs in the past few days.

Thankfully the anime wasn't affected, but how the eff did it get on if it wasn't one of those progs.

More importantly, how do we avoid future such occurences?
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Brilliant. I missed the first round and now it seems like one dude will mess everything up. :-(

I'll download an update for my av prog today. :-)
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
Abatis

Post by Abatis »

i might be paranoid, but i get the feeling that this might have been done on purpose because the virus was also in a autorun folder (ie. insert disk get infected) how would the vius know this is a removable drive?
floppy
Permanently Banned

Post by floppy »

hahahaha.... who had sex with the hard-drive! what htd is it... hahahaha

neway zeros check this out!
http://www.megagames.com/news/show.cgi? ... =downloads& its ff7 for pc but like snes with cloud etc... sumting bout evil cloud!!!
I could resist to promote piracy and bash mods. Now im banned
simmy

Post by simmy »

so "the guy" who had it before Abatis had the virus :sly:
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Thanks floppy. I've heard of it before, but that was a fake game. This one looks ok. I'll dl later. I'm currently dling Rakion. Hey is there a new clive chat place. I know a good one. PM me.

Hey, I don't think we should jump to conclusions here. Who would want to put a virus on the hd anyway.

*edit* damn it's cold today. I'm having trouble typing. But at least I saw snow flakes. :D
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Abatis wrote:i might be paranoid, but i get the feeling that this might have been done on purpose because the virus was also in a autorun folder (ie. insert disk get infected) how would the vius know this is a removable drive?
I know what ur getting at.
It's would be easy to code a virus to deliver it's load on removable drives also. Plus we all here are quite proficient with our systems. Only a n00b (or end-user as I call them) would do something as stupid as this (Putting the virus deliberately on the hdd) and think no one wud notice.

I would write it off as accidential. I had a non-destructive virus for like 1 month before picking it up. Now I treat my friends hdd's like its HIV infected with open sores...
Abatis

Post by Abatis »

i know it doesn't make sense, that why me thinks i'm just paranoid :wink:

remember ppl just because youre paranoid doesn't mean theyre not out to get you :D
floppy
Permanently Banned

Post by floppy »

sum1 is out to get me and im scared! neway zeros that game aint a fake atm im also downloading *stuff*, ill get it tonight! lewks shweeet!
I could resist to promote piracy and bash mods. Now im banned
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

[off-topic]I'm also paranoid bout virusses. One made my exe's un-excecutable. I lost a shyte load of proggies (can't get it back) and games. (had to re-install the whole friggen day.)[/off-topic]
MetalPaw

Post by MetalPaw »

I can't believe some idiot did that....They could ruin the whole experience for the rest of us if it happens again! I jus updated my anti-vir, so I won't be the cause.
I have pledged my soul and being to the darkness and the god of death. Anubis, open your arms and welcome me at last to the Three Regions! But if My Lord will not do so...Anubis, My Lord, grant me the strength to move on from this place...
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

SoulBlade wrote:[off-topic]I'm also paranoid bout virusses. One made my exe's un-excecutable. I lost a shyte load of proggies (can't get it back) and games. (had to re-install the whole friggen day.)[/off-topic]
Yeah I had one in the week. I even posted a hlep thread here and in a few other forums. Most thought it was Windows fault when actually it was a virus called WinParite32.B.
It infects every exe file. And I had downloaded so much stuff. All gone for waste. :evil:
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

ZeroS wrote:
SoulBlade wrote:[off-topic]I'm also paranoid bout virusses. One made my exe's un-excecutable. I lost a shyte load of proggies (can't get it back) and games. (had to re-install the whole friggen day.)[/off-topic]
Yeah I had one in the week. I even posted a hlep thread here and in a few other forums. Most thought it was Windows fault when actually it was a virus called WinParite32.B.
It infects every exe file. And I had downloaded so much stuff. All gone for waste. :evil:
[off-topic]
My virus was one that had been in circulation for some time. So I basically got n00bed by an old virus. How stupid I felt. Oh, and I forgot to instal my av prog when I installed XP that day when it happened.
[/off-topic]
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

SoulBlade wrote:
ZeroS wrote:
[off-topic]
My virus was one that had been in circulation for some time. So I basically got n00bed by an old virus. How stupid I felt. Oh, and I forgot to instal my av prog when I installed XP that day when it happened.
[/off-topic]
I don't really see this as completely off topic. The virus I had was really old too. 2003. Damn, I feel even n00bier cos I went to delete svchost manually. oh and a few other sys files. I was frustrated cos I installed Windows home>pro>SP2 (in that order) close to a dozen times in the past week, so I felt like deleting system files when I found the virus.

Surprising thing is, the online game Silkroad picked up the virus.
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

Well it could have been the programs, but as soon as I connect the drive to my pc, my av scans it... So I can't see it being that...

BTW Abatis if you have the drive out still, delete lollifox if it hasn't been already...

I also think, as I have seen many a time, that some av's don't pick up certain stuff and then some do... I have AVAST! and so far no infections up to date...
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
Abatis

Post by Abatis »

Off-The-Chart wrote:BTW Abatis if you have the drive out still, delete lollifox if it hasn't been already...
mkay
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Well if the av didn't pick it up, then it wasn't there. Hmph....