A Question for the Heavy music guys

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Macphisto
Permanently Banned

Post by Macphisto »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:You there NOBODY here that says nightwish would be bad for me to listen to?

Good to know. However, i'm STILL praying about it, and the girl that led me to Jesus is gonna come with me to look and listen and listen to it, i'll see how she feels about it...
Muahahahahahaha. U are a chop, IMHO! LOL!
"He's got a big gold ring which says Jesus Saves
and it's dented from the punch thrown at work that day"
SHL3B1B
Permanently Banned

Post by SHL3B1B »

Hey 1G0R you if you dont like comercial you should listen to a perfect circle... great band.. melodic rock. Or listen to tool.. (same singer)
Fallen-Angel

Post by Fallen-Angel »

nifty wrote:
Now to be honest, the Foo really arent as heavy as some of the stuff that the rest of u okes listen to, but SURELY as a Christian, listening to music EVEN as mellow as Foo Fighters with swearing in it cant be good for you and cant affect you in a positive way - even if u like the chune.[/b]

I don't Wanna be making acusations but, it seem to me nifty that your under the impression that more heavy music is more anti christian.

The type of music aint the prob, it's the lyrics and the band members that can be damageing. There are christian Death Metal bands like "Bride".

Hope I didn't understood you wrong.
nifty

Post by nifty »

Nope...seems we understand each other just fine - Its the lyrics that make the difference - I'm just saying that a lot of people compromise and listen to music that is in fact bad for them just because they like the riff.

However - when i say lyrics, i dont just mean swearing - it expands to other things as well...and its not just some heavy metal bands that have bad lyrics - theres a lotta very suggestive pop music etc out there thats actually just plain not on.
Macphisto
Permanently Banned

Post by Macphisto »

rabb1 wrote:Hey 1G0R you if you dont like comercial you should listen to a perfect circle... great band.. melodic rock. Or listen to tool.. (same singer)
thats heavy bra. Ive heard some of their songs.
"He's got a big gold ring which says Jesus Saves
and it's dented from the punch thrown at work that day"
capanno

Post by capanno »

:thumbsup: @ nifty.
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
SHL3B1B
Permanently Banned

Post by SHL3B1B »

1G0R wrote:
rabb1 wrote:Hey 1G0R you if you dont like comercial you should listen to a perfect circle... great band.. melodic rock. Or listen to tool.. (same singer)
thats heavy bra. Ive heard some of their songs.
tool is heavier. a perfect circle have some very light some as well. The lyrics are very very good.
hexXie

Post by hexXie »

getting BACK on topic:

@ DAE:

You cant take two lines out of a song and say "oh its satanistic or dodge" , ; if you look at the complete lyrics of the song it actually makes perfect sense and does not deteriorate any christian values.

furthermore, i find that most of their songs are christian-related. in every song you will see a referal to some christian-related issue.

nightwish's music and lyrics are very powerful. at first you notice their are christian-related issues that are addressed, but only when you thoroughly read the lyrics do you see the DEEPER meanings of what theya re saying.

They are an EXCELLENT group. Probably one of the best I've heard. The difference between them and other Christian bands are their music differs SO MUCH from song to song - its alwasy something new to think about, and feel.
Everyday, I browse the forums just to make sure that there still are people more pathetic than me.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I see...

aaahhhh, i dunno what to do...

I love them, but i dunno, i agree COMPLETELY with Nifty when he says that even if the lyrics are fine, stuff can still affect you...

My friend who i spoke of is coming to my house tonight, so i'll download some of nightwish's stuff from their site and play it for her...

Thanks for the opinions guys, you have helped me very much!
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
capanno

Post by capanno »

Site url?

edt found it...
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
crabstick

Post by crabstick »

Nightwish did break up like 5 months ago, just FYI
And i wanna kno, did u think we'd be screwed by one run again?
Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrall »

The lead singer left the group, that's all.
Be polite, professional and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

My Iraq pics
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Nightwish just isn't Nightwish without that girl's voice...
Kher-za

Post by Kher-za »

She had an attitude problem.

Evenfall wastes nightwish :twisted:
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

-PhoeniX- wrote:oops i left slayer off my list. maiden is on it for life. coincidently i have an iron maiden shirt on. yes!!!! maiden for life. those indie rock bands suck big time. they're all faggy and stuff! Chevelle, Trapt, Breaking Benjamin, The Used, Thrice, Flaw, Smile Empty Soul and Linkin Park are the main purps.

and 1gor the darkness is cool!
What are you talking about?

The Darkness are the suck0rz, they aren't even rock.

Iron Maiden is like so last decade.
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
jee

Post by jee »

neon_chameleon wrote: Iron Maiden is like so last decade.
That may be true, but their music is still some of the best around..
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I bought a Nightwish CD today. It's a very new one, a "Special Edition". It's got the "Once" album, and an extra disc with some extra versions of "Nemo" and a video.

Man i love this music. Listen to it reminds me of how i used to listen to it so much. Man this is good stuff. :D
Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrall »

Metal is good for the soul :P
Be polite, professional and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

My Iraq pics
Hyperchild

Post by Hyperchild »

Might as well throw my 2c in as well:

Nightwish isnt a bad band, I like their music alot. glad you got their stuff, though I think that album isnt all that new, unless they re-released it...Im open to correction there.

May I start with a question or few? what makes a song/band a Christian song/band or satanic or whatever? is it their lyrics, band members religion? Ive known un-Christian groups sing of God, does that make them Christian? Ive also known Christian groups sing your standard generic stuff that you hear everyday, does that make them un-Christian? For me, music either gives me 'good-vibes' or 'bad-vibes' you wont find me listening to stuff that gives me bad vibes, even if I consider it good music. though I do that on a song level not an artist, Im not slating Metalica fans here! theyre a decent band (there are better!) but as a rule I dont listen to them, though they do have a couple of songs I will listen to.

If you will, classify music as a gray area when it comes to religion, its not the song but the motive behind the song, most songs are created to listen to, or as 'Christian' music, please God (I wont say worship for music is but one act to worship God, it is not worship itself). Music is not inherantly 'dark' unless it was specifically made for that.

If any of that made sence...
Quod non detit fortuna non eripuit aut amat aut odit: nil est tertium
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

There's a long biblical reason as to why i prefer not to listen to bands that aren't christian.

Nightwish released this album last year, by the way.
Rikkelz

Post by Rikkelz »

OT: Biting my tongue, biting my tongue.
Hellfury

Post by Hellfury »

Me likes Children of a Bodom which i'm sure Dae would hate. Me likes the guitar work not lyrics
AMD FX 8120 @4.7Ghz |Antec Kuhler 920 |ASUS Sabertooth 990fx| 16Gb DDR3 1866 Vengeance|GTX 460 1gb |OCZ Vertex 3 60gb (OS) + HyperX 240Gb (Games)|2tb+320gb+250gb(x3)+160gb hdds| CM Silent Pro Gold 1000w| Aerocool Strike X ST| Dell 23" LED LCD |Windows 8 Pro x64
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I actually used to have that stuff before i got saved. It's good, but just not right for me anymore...
Hellfury

Post by Hellfury »

You shure are one changed man. Good stuff
AMD FX 8120 @4.7Ghz |Antec Kuhler 920 |ASUS Sabertooth 990fx| 16Gb DDR3 1866 Vengeance|GTX 460 1gb |OCZ Vertex 3 60gb (OS) + HyperX 240Gb (Games)|2tb+320gb+250gb(x3)+160gb hdds| CM Silent Pro Gold 1000w| Aerocool Strike X ST| Dell 23" LED LCD |Windows 8 Pro x64
jee

Post by jee »

I agree with hyperchild... music must speak to my spirit - its whats in the music, the lyrics... the intention of the song that makes me listen to it, not who or what the artists are.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.