Liverpool beat Milan in Champions Final

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Liverpool beat Milan in Champions Final

Post by Tel »

Supersport wrote:Liverpool beat Milan in Champions final
Posted on 25 May 2005 - 23:34

Liverpool made history by coming from 3-0 to draw 3-3 with AC Milan and win an astonishing Champions League final 3-2 on penalties on Wednesday.

To get the latest Premiership scores, simply SMS the letters SPREM to 34911 and the day's final scores will be sent to your cellphone. This is a SuperSMS service and costs just R2 per SMS.

The Premier League club scored three goals in seven minutes to take the match into extra time and when Milan striker Andriy Shevchenko's spot-kick in the shootout was saved by Liverpool goalkeeper Jerzy Dudek their extraordinary comeback was complete.

"I don't think I have the words to express how I feel at this moment," said Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez after his club's fifth European Cup triumph.

Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher said: "I don't think anyone's ever seen a game like that. At halftime the manager was just trying to keep our heads up."

Paolo Maldini put the Italians ahead after just 53 seconds with a downward volley from an Andrea Pirlo free kick, which bounced through a crowded area and beat Dudek's outstretched arm.

The defender's goal, his first of the season, was the fastest in a European Cup final since Enrique Mateos for Real Madrid against Stade de Reims in 1959. At 36, the Milan captain also became the oldest player to score in a final.

Benitez was forced into a change in the 23rd minute when Australian Harry Kewell, a surprise starter, picked up a knock and had to be replaced by Czech midfielder Vladimir Smicer.

Milan remained on top, though, and European Footballer of the Year Shevchenko had an effort ruled out for offside in the 29th minute.

Six minutes before the break Brazilian Kaka fed Shevchenko on the right and the Ukrainian picked out Crespo at the back post with a low cross which the Argentine tapped home to make it 2-0.

A minute before the interval Kaka produced a magical turn to lose Steven Gerrard in midfield and he delivered a defence splitting pass which Crespo confidently chipped past the advancing Dudek to give the Italians a commanding 3-0 lead.

Within the space of 15 minutes of the second half, however, Liverpool were level with three quick-fire goals that left the Italians simply stunned.

LOW DRIVE

First Gerrard rose well to head a John Arne Riise cross past the stationary Dida and two minutes later German Dietmar Hamann, a halftime substitute, set up Smicer who beat Dida with a low drive from 20 metres.

With Milan's defence reeling, Gerard burst into the Milan area and was bundled over by Gennaro Gattuso for a penalty.

Dida dived to parry out Xabi Alonso's spot-kick but the Spaniard hammered the loose ball into the roof of the net to complete a remarkable comeback with the third of three goals in six minutes.

The game settled down and there were few real chances but Shevchenko almost won it for Milan two minutes from the end of extra time when his powerful header was brilliantly saved by Dudek who threw up a hand to deny the striker's follow-up.

Liverpool took control of the shootout when Serginho and Pirlo failed with Milan's first two penalties.

Dietmar Hamann, Djibril Cisse and Smicer scored for Liverpool and Shevchenko's weak effort was comfortably saved by Dudek to seal the English side's triumph.

Ref: Supersport
I haven't watched a game as good as this in a long time. I thought it was over by the end of the 1st half, but how wrong everybody was :) .

I'm so p*ssed at myself :evil: . I watched the whole game and I fell asleep 5 mins before the end of extra-time. Next time I woke up, Liverpool were jumping up and down. I would've loved to see the penalty shootout.
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
rand0mh3ro

Post by rand0mh3ro »

Well well, congrats to Liverpool and their fans! Nobody could've predicted such an outcome. Hey Envinyatar, you're lucky, I fell asleep 15 minutes into the game and I woke up again at 00:30! Man I was so p*ssed that I missed everything! BTW, this is coming from a Man Utd supporter.
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

Even if you don't support either of the teams, it was still a damn good game of football. You definitely missed out on that one randomhero. :)
eraser

Post by eraser »

It was a gr8 game, I njoyed every minute of it!! The game was tence but Liverpool came through in the end! Even though they were 3 goals down they still played well. I'm glad that liverpool has won the championship!!

It just sux that they wont b able 2 defend their title next year!!! :cry:

Well done to Liverpool... :)
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

Man that was a awesome game!! i dont really enjoy watching soccer, but this game had my eyes hooked onto the tv!! The pressure on the last guy from Milan that kicked on the shootout must have been enourmous, he's probably feeling all the wrath now hehe
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
cOokie_mOnster

Post by cOokie_mOnster »

LLLLIIIIIIIIIVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEERRRRRRPPPPPPPOOOOOOLLLLLL...........

It was an amazing match. I also thought it was over at the second half.

My voice is non-existant from screaming so much last night.

Moderated: Shortened the LIVERPOOL shout so ppl don't have to side scroll - Envin
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

It was indeed a good game! Iwas truly surprised at Liverpool's comeback! It is odd that both the FA cup and the EU cup went to penalty shoots?
OnLy-ThE-BrAvE

Liverpool have done it.

Post by OnLy-ThE-BrAvE »

LIVERPOOL.F.C are Champions of Europe and yesterday proved so, to come back from 3-0 down in the 2nd half against a top side is some achievement!! Well Done to LFC!

From a true Red fan!! :lol:
Road_Kill

Post by Road_Kill »

For me I found that Liverpools second goal was a little unfair, if the offside had been given I don't think they would have scored, but thats not important cause it's over now. I didn't like Liverpools tactics in extra time, they were just playing for the shoot out.They knew that was their best chance to win.Italian teams cant do penalties to save their life.
Rikkelz

Post by Rikkelz »

LIVERPOOL!!!!!!

Well actually I'm not much of a sport lover, but that game was amazing. Really really good.

Well Done Liverpool!
eraser

Post by eraser »

Road_Kill wrote:For me I found that Liverpools second goal was a little unfair, if the offside had been given I don't think they would have scored, but thats not important cause it's over now. I didn't like Liverpools tactics in extra time, they were just playing for the shoot out.They knew that was their best chance to win.Italian teams cant do penalties to save their life.
Excuse me... :roll:

Both teams played fairly, Liverpool proved that they are the best in europe nd no1 can argue...
btw, There was no offside before the second goal cos bout 3 defenders were inbetween Smicer nd the milan goalie...
I know italian teams cant do penalties but that doesnt mean that they wont win...
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

The offside that has been mentioned actually happened a few seconds before the goal. The linesman had his flag up, but the ref didn't see it.

As for Liverpool not being able to defende the cup. It's logical that they should be allowed to. If a team wins a cup, they should be able to defend it no matter what.

If a country wins the world cup, they automatically qualify for the next one. The same should apply to the Champions League.
eraser

Post by eraser »

Envinyatar wrote:As for Liverpool not being able to defende the cup. It's logical that they should be allowed to. If a team wins a cup, they should be able to defend it no matter what.

If a country wins the world cup, they automatically qualify for the next one. The same should apply to the Champions League.
I agree...