FIFA enforcing local player rule

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

FIFA enforcing local player rule

Post by Tel »

In light of Arsenal's premiership 1st of not fielding a single English player in their English Premiership match on Monday, I want to discuss what FIFA are going to ponder later this month.

Apparently they are thinking about enforcing a rule that a team must field at least 4 homegrown players in their games. And I support this whole-heartedly. Even though I support Arsenal so much I still think "This is supposed to be an English team". It unfortunately the story of the bigger leagues now, where they buy the big name players from other countries, and not try to invest in the skills of their nation.

Let's look at Arsenal for instance...Over the years they have had so many promising English youngsters come through their youth system, but because of the extraordinary 1st team squad they've never had a chance to solidify a 1st team place, therefore they have to go looking elsewhere. Look at Jermaine Pennant, once heralded as the successor to David Beckham on the right wing, but because Pennant hasn't broken into the 1st team fully yet, he's had to go play at "lesser" clubs in order to gather experience. And Stuart Taylor, he has always been low down on Wenger's goalie pecking order, but come on! He is about 26 now and has had a minimum amount of 1st appearances. In my opinion, he should have the no. 1 jersey.

From what I've read FIFA have already (or are definitely going to) implement this rule for Euro Champions League matches. Which is good, because lately it hasn't really been country vs country. More Big name clubs strutting their stuff of high class players.

Please, give you opinions on this matter.
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
brabham

Post by brabham »

Sheesh I cant believe I haven't seen this thread before now. Well I have to agree with you on that one Envin. As Sir Alex has said the new rule of not being able to "recruit" youngsters from outside a rdius of 90km's from the clubs base is also adding to this new phenomenon. Teams can now no longer get the young british players to train from a young age so instead they go and recruit young foreign players instead. Man Utd have done this already with the signings of 16yo germans, italians, spanish and american kids. I have no doubt Arsenal have already done something similar.

I think its a good idea not to limit the number of foreign players but rather stipulate the limit for number of local born players. I haven't heard of the 4 player minimum but I have heard of a 8 player per squad minimum. That means that by 2012 they are supposed to have at least 8 local players either on the bench or playing in any and every match. If I'm not mistaken 4 are supposed to start the game and the other 4 can start from the bench. So I guess it ties up pretty much with your 4 per game rule.
I kill you in my dreams, I turn the other cheek during the day.

i5 2500k : ASUS P8P67 : ASUS 560ti : Antec High Current Pro 850 : 2x2GB G.Skill : 160GB + 1.5TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm : LG super multi DVD writer : Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

@ Envin - I fully agree, in fact, I think they should make it 50/50 and not just 4.

S