Mallet takes over at WP

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Mallet takes over at WP

Post by Tel »

Supersport wrote:Mallett takes over at WP by Gavin Rich
Posted on 01 February 2005 - 17:46

Nick Mallett has ensured that he will stay in his beloved Cape Town for at least the next three years after he accepted the post of Western Province's first Director of Rugby.

The former Springbok No8 has not held an official position within the South African game since he was ousted from the national coaching post almost five years ago. He returned home last year after an extremely successful stint in France, where he coached Stade Francais to the European championship in 2003 and the same club to the French Championship in 2004.

As he had returned to Cape Town to be with his family, the new job is a perfect one for Mallett and he was understandably delighted when he was contacted by SuperSportZone on Tuesday afternoon.

"I am thrilled to be able to take up such a challenging position and to be able to work out of Cape Town. This was the province that I played for and it was out of here that I became a Springbok. I have lived here since I was seven years old," he said.

"It is a province steeped in rugby tradition, and a lot of great rugby personalites have represented the union on the field. It is a privilege and an honour to be offered a position with WP. There is tremendous talent in the region and I cannot wait to work with it.

"Obviously my family are particularly delighted. The contract is for three years and that means that we won't be going anywhere for the next while."

Mallett's delight should be matched by that of his new employers. WP have effectively secured the services of one of the most respected coaches in the modern game and, more particularly, they have ensured that he will not be lost to the region. It is known that apart from several offers from overseas, Mallett was also approached by the Sharks in the time that he has been back from overseas.

There has been no clarification on where the newly created position leaves incumbent Western Province coach Carel du Plessis, but it is anticipated that Mallett's position will be an executive one within rugby and all the coaches in the province across all levels will work under him.

Effectively Mallett has been charged with the task of ensuring that WP and Cape rugby takes the lead in the sport both in South Africa and in the southern hemisphere. "I cannot go into specifics now as a few things still need to be clarified and sorted out. All will be finalised and then disclosed to the media at a press conference next Tuesday," said Mallett.

In confirming Mallett’s appointment in a press release, WP Rugby Football Union president Koos Basson said that Mallett had been successful over other candidates because of strengths which included indepth knowledge of players throughout the world; his excellent communication and motivation skills; his ability to adapt game plans and selections to suit conditions and types of players; as well as extensive and varied coaching experience.

Apart from his years in France, both at the start of his coaching career and after his stint with the Springboks, Mallett was instrumental in taking Boland from nowhere to Currie Cup contention in the mid-1990s. When he coached Springboks they equalled a world record unbeaten run between late 1997 and the end of 1998. He coached the Boks to their first Tri-Nations title that same year.

While good news for WP, the appointment of Mallett may yet prove bad news for South African rugby. Although Jake White enjoyed a good first year in charge of the Boks in 2004, there are still many who feel that a man with Mallett's extensive experience and expertise should be utilised somewhere in the national set-up.

Ref:Supersport
Now this is good news. It can only be good for WP and South African rugby that one of the most respected rugby personalities in the world is back in the country. And improving the game here.
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson