The Cricket Thread

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Stuart »

I'm as irritated as you that Kallis comes and goes as he pleases. Still, if he is in the side he really can't be in as a bowling all rounder. He needs to be a batting all rounder.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

:/ So much for Kallis getting a good score, he was starting great but was unable to carry on :(.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

His demise has done nothing to curb our scoring!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Was about to post... Can't make up my mind, is India bowling bad or are we just doing really well?
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Anakha56 wrote:Was about to post... Can't make up my mind, is India bowling bad or are we just doing really well?
India does this on purpose: Their bowlers bowl a shower of crap so that Dhawan, Sharma and Kohli can each score a 100 from 70 deliveries and win the game with 5 overs to spare. :lol:
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

So, like where did this batting & bowling team come from? :? I ain't complaining but why oh why can't we always play like this. Just peeved that Radio 2000 decided not to give commentary for the game on Sunday :(. I would have had some great listening material on the drive home from JHB...
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Anakha56 wrote:So, like where did this batting & bowling team come from? :? I ain't complaining but why oh why can't we always play like this. Just peeved that Radio 2000 decided not to give commentary for the game on Sunday :(. I would have had some great listening material on the drive home from JHB...
Well, we were playing well in Pakistan (for the most part) and we REALLY should have won the return series (let's count that as a blip on the radar), so all in all, we aren't doing too bad in ODIs at the moment. I do fear for Smith though, with De Kock playing as well as he is.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Ja, I think Smith's probably out of the ODI team for now, barring injury. Honestly, with de Kock partnering Amla as well as he is, I'm not too disappointed about it, as much as I like Smith.
Tiza

Post by Tiza »

I just read we have an unchanged test squad, not sure why they would choose Elgar instead of De ****, what must the chap do to get a test spot?
I am a guy so please people stop sending me these shady pm's and start playing computer games or bodybuilding. Forums aren't a good place to get chicks the gym is...
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Tiza wrote:I just read we have an unchanged test squad, not sure why they would choose Elgar instead of De ****, what must the chap do to get a test spot?
I think they don't want to give de Willy ( :) ) too much exposure too fast. I think it is a mistake though, I agree.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

They could have added De Kock to the squad, but I do think it's a little soon for him to actually play test cricket. Give him time to really acclimatise to international cricket. That might sound strange, since he's doing so well, but he really hasn't been playing that long yet. Also, Dean Elgar hasn't been spectacular, but he's been a steady performer. I certainly think it's time for someone else to partner Smith though, instead of Alviro Petersen. I've never been the biggest fan.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Have to say I am pretty happy with Ryan Mclaren's performance of late as well. Been doing pretty well with both bat and ball. He should be around for quite a while.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

KALSTER wrote:Have to say I am pretty happy with Ryan Mclaren's performance of late as well. Been doing pretty well with both bat and ball. He should be around for quite a while.
He has really impressed me over the last year, he's been very consistent. He quietly goes about his job without being overly flashy.

*edit*

He is the third highest wicket taker in ODIs this year.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Not bad at all from De Kock! I think India are secretly very happy it rained... :lol:
Tiza

Post by Tiza »

Wow, what a game but man am I disappointed. The fans were defiantly wrong to boo, but it is understandable after all they paid for the tickets and were rewarded they just wanted more. I have also played a few games at school and varsity and the pressure is immense but professionals should be able to handle it after all it is their job. Our test team lacks that killer instinct and the fear of failure is crippling us. This game reminds me of that Australia game a few years back when we had them at 27/9 and managed to blunder it so they managed to score 49, Philander could have bowled another over for sure. That game like this was an amazing effort but we worked so hard to get into that position and then to just give up like that in my opinion that was a defeat. I am sure Australia, India and England would have gone for that gone for the win. Smith and Damingo let the team down, they should have made the call after all that is what a captain and coach should do. I think we will need an exceptional captain or a world cup win for the Proteas to get rid of this choker tag and for the test team to develop that killer instinct so we can compare them to the West Indies team of the 70-80's or the Australians team of the 2000's. The test in Durban should be a belter!

I will leave you all heart broken but with some wise words from Theodore Roosevelt

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. "
I am a guy so please people stop sending me these shady pm's and start playing computer games or bodybuilding. Forums aren't a good place to get chicks the gym is...
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Tiza wrote:Smith and Damingo let the team down, they should have made the call after all that is what a captain and coach should do.
I think Smith and Flamingo did make that call. Given Smith's mostly positive history, I suspect Flamingo was a heavy influence there. De Villiers looked decidedly ticked when the camera caught him in the dressing room, and even Philander and Steyn looked frustrated after Steyn hit that last ball for six.

I was a little frustrated that Faf didn't seem to be pushing for the win. I suppose he was under instructions to just stay there, but he left a lot of wide balls of the same sort that de Villiers was cracking to the ropes.

It was definitely a huge disappointment.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

So... for as long as I have watched cricket, Kallis has played it, but no more. He had at least one more year of test cricket in him, but I wonder: Would I ever have been happy for him to retire? Granted, there are one or two more feats I would have liked to see him achieve:

- Most 6s in test cricket (three short of Adam Gilchrist)
- Second highest run scorer (89 runs short of Ponting)
- Most 100s in test cricket (five short of Tendulkar)
- One last crack at the old foe, Australia

However, these achievements are for me as a supporter and admirer. For Kallis himself, he has achieved all that he dreamed of and his retirement was like one of his innings: Filled with grace and impeccable timing.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

PS - I forgot to add 300 test wickets and Dravid's record for catches to that list.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I would've liked to see him end it against Australia, but I guess a series win against no. 2 is good enough.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Couple of Aussies here have already been around my desk to chit-chat about Kallis' retirement.
I cant speak for Aussie cricketers, but he seems generally well-liked by cricket supporters down here
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

I can't think that anyone out there doesn't respect Kallis, much like Dravid and Tendulkar.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Very much interesting...

ORS will give greater efficiency
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Mystical_Titan wrote:Very much interesting...

ORS will give greater efficiency
I don't know why they didn't just stick the 3rd Ump in the director's truck to begin with.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Henry Davids. First baller against the Springboks. Not a great advertisement for the selectors. :lol:
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Stuart wrote:Henry Davids. First baller against the Springboks. Not a great advertisement for the selectors. :lol:
Henry Davids should have gone to the Champion's Trophy after the T20s against New Zealand to establish himself in international cricket when he was in hot form.