White hints Boks will run it

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

White hints Boks will run it

Post by Tel »

Supersport wrote:White hints Boks will run it by Gavin Rich
Posted on 17 November 2004 - 16:51

Springbok coach Jake White has given a broad hint that his team will be going out to play an expansive game in Saturday's important test match against England at Twickenham.

There has been a tendency in previous meetings between these two sides for the South Africans to become locked in a game of forward attrition against England. White, in one of his previous tradings as a television analyst, was often critical of the tendency for the Boks to be sucked into a testosterone battle.

"It would be fair to say that we have tended to play the wrong way against England in the past. I often felt that we played against England the way England would like us to play against them, and in so doing we played into their hands," said White.

"We tend to feel we must try and outdo them for strength, but I believe there is another way to play and we will be doing that on Saturday. I promise you that we won't be predictable at all."

White's comment was aimed at a statement made by England's defence coach Phil Larder. In a story run in the morning newspapers in London, Larder contended that the Boks were the most predictable team in the world to play against as they were one-dimensional and only played one way.

"I don't really mind what Phil has to say. I said a few things last week before the Ireland test which maybe were a mistake and they came back to bite me. Maybe Phil will find that his statements come back to bite him on Saturday. I certainly hope so," quipped the Bok coach.

White said he was really relishing the prospects for Twickenham as it would be a good measure of where the two young teams were as they start out on the build-up to the 2007 World Cup in France.

"They have a young team and we have a young team. We play them in the pool stages of the next World Cup in a few years time and this game might tell us a bit about where we are in relation to that," said White.

However, he was careful not to impune that England, because they are rebuilding, will be soft touches.

"England have an unbelievable record at Twickenham and although they have lost a few players they still have several who were part of their successful World Cup campaign last year. They may be rebuilding, but a lot of their young players were part of the under-strength England team that shocked a full-strength French team in the build-up to the World Cup.

Ref: Supersport
GO BOKKE!! I seriously hope we win this game, especially since we were outdone by that unfair try last week...
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
wit_skapie
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wit_skapie »

This will fix last weeks loss a bit - with England being world champs and all... :biggrin:
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

Call me pessimistic, but I don't feel too hopeful about this one. :(
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Let's just hope Schalk doesn't get yellow carded again!!

And hold thumbs, hopefully it will go better than last week.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
oukie

Post by oukie »

I'm with supertwit.... Don't think thy can pull it off...
Although I would like to see them do it!
Total Forum Points: 14000
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

*Straps his thumbs and big toes down...*
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

Hmmmm....should I watch, should n't I watch....can my heart take it?

Be afraid.....be very afraid.....;->
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

Who will the referee be? :twisted:
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

OnlyOneKenobi wrote:Let's just hope Schalk doesn't get yellow carded again!!

He does seem to have a big target on his back. :(
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Y0da wrote:
OnlyOneKenobi wrote:Let's just hope Schalk doesn't get yellow carded again!!

He does seem to have a big target on his back. :(
Well apparently Jake White was going to take up the issue with the international rugby union, showing footage of his play when the refs made those calls to yellow card him. I really didn't see him do anything wrong!

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
SquattingDog

Post by SquattingDog »

I first want to C this before I believe it. South Africa running with the bal....yeah sure, you can only run with the ball if you keep it in hand. That was one of the reasons Ireland was able to outscore us last weekend, because they kept the ball in hand, how many times did we kcik the ball last weekend? Porbably 10X more than we did in the TRI-NATIONS.

I'm not saying that we can't do it, it's just the fact that SA haven't perfected the art to retain the ball through multiple fases of the game. Look @ AUS and NZ, they can go through 10-20 fases without giving the ball away, and in the process the defending team conceades penalties (aka Schalk). :lol:

OK, nuf said about that. I also think that Schalk has a big fat round circle on the back of his green jersey. I could believe they yellow carded him again, that was something a tried 2 focus on (difficult while drinking great amounts of castle), was they way he controlled himself at the breakdown of the rucks. I could see any indication that he was doing this, slowing the ball down on purpose. It was blatant on 2 or 3 accotions, he also made a few high tackles, but nothing as bad as it was against Ireland.

FINAL THOUGHTS

SCHALK, GO AND TACKLE THE LIVING K@K OUT OF THOSE QUEEN A$$ KISSING, HARODS SHOPPING, BECK SWEARING, MAN UNITED SOCCER FREAKS. While you @ it tackle the ref if he blows like crap, just for good measure, you are going to be send of anyway, so why don't do it with a BANG. :twisted:
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

Hmmmm...I can think of something else he may want to complain about...
<whistling nonchalantly>
SquattingDog

Post by SquattingDog »

supertwit wrote:Hmmmm...I can think of something else he may want to complain about...
<whistling nonchalantly>
Meaning????

Leme guess, your a MANU fan. :P
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

Schalk must be his usual self in this game and De Wet must go tackle smash into the poms this weekend.

I am very hopeful for this weekend. I think we can pull it off if the Boks can retain the ball for a lengthy amount of time.
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

SquattingDog wrote:
supertwit wrote:Hmmmm...I can think of something else he may want to complain about...
<whistling nonchalantly>
Meaning????

Leme guess, your a MANU fan. :P
MANU??!! FAN 8O NOOIT!

I support Selborne College, The Blue Bulls and the Springboks [especially when they'r winning. :wink: ]

Meaning that Jake White may wish he could have laid charges against a certain Mr Honiss. Picture this: Paul Honiss locked in a room with Schalk Burger for 5 minutes...... :twisted:
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

:(

Well the Boks ran it alright, all the way back to give it to England.

What a disappointing match. The boks didn't know what to do where. And I have to say that the 2nd England try was an excellent one, very good vision for that one.
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

I'm actually very happy with the Boks performance. Maybe now the selectors will catch a wake up and select players for their skill and not because of skin coulour and political standing.
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

please they will never do that its to much hard work, they would rather sack the coach and get a new one. :wink:
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Garret

Post by Garret »

But how absolutely brilliant was the Kiwi - Wales game.

If Wales had played like that against us, I don't think we would have won. especially after watching that high-school game I saw on the weekend invloving SA - England.
Hill

Post by Hill »

Well the Boks looked lethargic from the beggining. There was no aggression or fire. Only Schalk Burger showed a little towards the end, but he is only one man.

Did you notice all the handling errors. Notice that England had almost as many as us, but they had 3 times the possession.

How are our back supposed to run the ball if the forwards don't secure possession. There was no varying of play. We were very one dimensional. We need a fly half who can do what Butch James did 2-3 years back. Take control of a game, vary play, keep your opposition guessing.
Regards
Hill