Bafana 2 - 1 Nigeria

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Bafana 2 - 1 Nigeria

Post by Tel »

Supersport wrote:Diminutive midfielder Benedict Vilakazi scored the winner as South Africa earned a 2-1 victory over depleted Nigeria in an international friendly on Wednesday.

It was their first win over Nigeria at the fifth attempt but South Africa failed to convince overall and wasted a host of chances.

Shaun Bartlett extended his record as South Africa's leading international scorer to 29 goals with the opener in the 23rd minute, heading home unmarked from a corner with Nigeria's defence caught ball-watching.

Delron Buckley, the leading goal scorer in the German Bundesliga this season, missed a chance to double the lead 10 minutes after the break after being set up by fellow striker Benni McCarthy.

But five minutes later McCarthy was again the provider as Vilakazi charged late into the penalty area to slam the ball home.

Nigeria, who chances had been restricted to long range shots, reduced the deficit within two minutes after a rare defensive lapse. Inter Milan's Obafemi Martins set up Ayodele Makinwa for a goal on his debut.

Martins was the only Nigerian regular in a squad reduced by injuries and late withdrawals, including that of injured captain Austin Okocha who flew to Johannesburg for the match but did not feature on the team list.

Nigeria had to divert five players from Enugu Rangers, who had been playing in an African Confederation Cup match in Angola, to bolster their squad to 18. They only arrived on the eve of the match.

South Africa had failed to score in all four of their previous meetings with Nigeria, losing three and drawing the other.

Ref: Supersport
I'm glad Bafana won (even though it was a depleted Nigerian squad).
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
wit_skapie
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wit_skapie »

Yeah - i agree, a win is a win.... :biggrin:
brabham

Post by brabham »

Well I have to agree that it was a good performance bar the finishing, but as the article states it was a severely depleted Nigerian squad and they were probably tired from their travelling as well.

I just have to mention the performances of three payers though. Benedict Vilakazi had a barnstorming game. He was positive in his movement and for the most part controlled the midfield for South Africa. On that performance I hope he makes many more appearances for SA.

On the down side both Delron Buckley and Bradley Carnell were huge disappointments. I have never seen Carnell play so badly but I can safely say I have never seen Buckley play well for SA. I know he is topscorer in Germany at the moment but I am simply not convinced about his ability.
I kill you in my dreams, I turn the other cheek during the day.

i5 2500k : ASUS P8P67 : ASUS 560ti : Antec High Current Pro 850 : 2x2GB G.Skill : 160GB + 1.5TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm : LG super multi DVD writer : Coolermaster Storm Enforcer