The Cricket Thread

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Stuart »

Mystical_Titan wrote:But it's because the system is flawed that those making the decisions aren't making the right ones. And the fact that there have been several decisions upheld, despite Hot Spot giving CLEAR evidence to the contrary, just goes to show that the umpires themselves have no faith in the system.
It still comes down to human error to me. If there is doubt about hotspot, drop it. If they are confident in hotspot, then let it be the final decider. Don't let the umpire consider it and make his decision despite the evidence.

And even KP's decision today came down, I would think, to umpire error. The classic standard is, when there is doubt, it goes to the batsman. Clearly there was doubt in the umpire's mind if he chose to ignore hotspot's evidence. That being the case, he ought to have given benefit to the batsman.

To me, a sound as the ball goes past the edge should be the last thing on the list of deciding factors.

All that said, I am keen to see how the Aussies respond to this. When it's one of their batsmen that is given out controversially they are all up in arms demanding explanations from the ICC and calling for a review of the review system. Let's see how consistent they are.

A UK publication is already calling this "the most controversial DRS calls of the series," which I think is a bit of an exaggeration, but it just goes to show that teams and fans get most upset when they are on the wrong end of the DRS. Truth be told, I doubt that it would change were there no DRS. The Aussies would still be up in arms for controversial decisions against them, and England for decisions against them. Then they'd be insisting that technology be introduced to eradicate such decisions.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Payback, refer to the last delivery of the 23rd over of the first innings.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

That's more like the SA batting I know...
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

WTF?!! Does Tsotsobe catch up on his soapies while the rest of the team is doing fielding practice?!
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

It would have been nice if we could have white-washed SL in the T20 series. That would have left the series tally at 4 - 4, which wouldn't have been so bad.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/SAinSr ... r-20130807
Lopsy: Proteas' flawed factor
2013-08-07 14:00

Comment: Rob Houwing, Sport24 chief writer
Cape Town – Everyone is entitled to a genuine shocker from time to time, particularly in the unpredictable climate of Twenty20 cricket.
Lonwabo Tsotsobe, the 29-year-old relative stalwart now of South Africa’s limited-overs plans, certainly had one on Tuesday, when the Proteas lost the final T20 international to Sri Lanka in Hambantota, denying them a memorable clean sweep of the mini-series.

The lanky left-arm seamer started decently enough with a “half-over maiden” at the outset of the Lankans’ pursuit of their seemingly stiff target of 164 to win ... only his next three balls changed all that in a hurry.

Follow the link for further reading...

@MT From the article I can see why he dropped that catch:

Eyes are not watching the ball and the hands don't look like they are in the right position.

Wish Jonty would come back as fielding coach...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Mmm... I see on Cricinfo that Glenn Maxwell has just scored 145* for Australia A in a tri-series match against India A in Pretoria. Whilst that stat is already an impressed one, factor in the following: It came off 79 deliveries. In a total of 298 from 50 overs, this puts the rest of the batting line-up at 153 / 8 from 221 deliveries.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

OH. MY. SACK.

This morning I switched on the TV and they were showing highlights of day one of the 3rd Ashes test. The Khawaja dismissal on day one makes the KP dismissal on day 5 look like the most straight-forward nick ever! Watch this and PLEASE explain to me how retarded the 3rd umpire would have to be not to overturn that!

Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Thanks for posting a decent clip of that dismissal. I was looking for one when it happened because I missed it live. Much of what I read expressed confusion because there was supposedly a clear noise, which could only have come from bat on ball. I reckon the third umpire must be blind to have missed the bat on pad there.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Stuart wrote:Thanks for posting a decent clip of that dismissal. I was looking for one when it happened because I missed it live. Much of what I read expressed confusion because there was supposedly a clear noise, which could only have come from bat on ball. I reckon the third umpire must be blind to have missed the bat on pad there.
Never mind the bat on pad: On the front-on replay you can see daylight between bat and ball the entire time! WTF?!
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Just for MT... ;)

http://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/Protea ... m-20130812
Kallis to get ODI ultimatum
2013-08-12 07:47

Cape Town - Proteas coach Russell Domingo is set to have talks with veteran all-rounder Jacques Kallis about his future in the one-day international arena.

Domingo, in an interview with Rapport, said Kallis cannot be constantly rested for ODIs and then expect to be picked for the next World Cup in 2015.

Kallis, 37, last played ODI cricket for South Africa in February 2012 and has since been given time to rest in order to focus on Tests. However, Kallis in recent times stated his interest to still represent South Africa at the next World Cup in Australia and New Zealand.

But Domingo is adamant that Kallis must play one-day cricket in order to be considered.

"I will schedule an appointment with him and we'll have to talk things through," said Domingo.

About friggin time...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Why just for me? :lol:

I agree fully with Domingo.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Were you not complaining about Kallis missing out earlier in the thread? :P
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Yeah, but I know that it's been his choice and I've also before that he needs to get with it and play or not. It annoyed the crap out of me when Tendulkar did that, so I don't believe Kallis should be doing it either.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/Gary-K ... b-20130903
Kirsten takes IPL coaching job
2013-09-03 12:04

Cape Town - Former South Africa and India coach Gary Kirsten has been appointed as head coach of Indian Premier League (IPL) side, the Delhi Daredevils.

According to the NDTV website, Kirsten will work with fellow South African Eric Simons.

The 45-year-old former Proteas opener coached India between 2008 and 2011, before taking charge of South Africa for two years.

He resigned as Proteas coach in May this year, in an attempt to spend more time with his family.

Kirsten will have a tough task lifting the fortunes of Delhi, who finished last in this year's IPL.

"The #DelhiDaredevils is delighted to welcome @Gary_Kirsten as Head Coach. He will work with Team Mentor TA Sekar and Eric Simons," the franchise tweeted.

"@Gary_Kirsten says the decision to join #delhidaredevils was an easy one. It will be his first experience with an @IPL team."
So he did leave a sinking ship. Leave the SA squad to spend more time with family but sign up with a IPL team that happens in another country... :/
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Anakha56 wrote:So he did leave a sinking ship. Leave the SA squad to spend more time with family but sign up with a IPL team that happens in another country... :/
Yeah, I was thinking that too... but I guess to be fair, working in the IPL would be much less time consuming than an international team.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

I think it's brilliant, he'll be busy for two months, make a boatload of money and come back home.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

They're just making an already broken system worse.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Finally! I've been waiting for ages for someone to upload this!

WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

That hit at 3 minutes, BOOOOOOOOOM!
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

1st test vs. Pakistan, 2nd innings:

Robin Peterson - 27 overs, zero wickets for 111 runs, economy of 4.11.
JP Duminy - 19 overs, two wickets for 68 runs, economy of 3.57.

I think it's time that the selectors realised that Peterson is not doing his job and his batting is not enough to make up for his poor bowling. I'd like to see Imran Tahir get another go.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Wow... India is giving Australia a real hammering!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-aus ... 47251.html
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Mystical_Titan wrote:1st test vs. Pakistan, 2nd innings:

Robin Peterson - 27 overs, zero wickets for 111 runs, economy of 4.11.
JP Duminy - 19 overs, two wickets for 68 runs, economy of 3.57.

I think it's time that the selectors realised that Peterson is not doing his job and his batting is not enough to make up for his poor bowling. I'd like to see Imran Tahir get another go.
Agreed. If there is any merit at all in playing the guy for his batting, it's in the shorter format of the game. I just don't understand his continued test berth.

On the whole, it must be said, SA is looking a little rusty here.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Stuart wrote:On the whole, it must be said, SA is looking a little rusty here.
Obviously so, there has been nothing done as a team in months. Overconfident and undercooked.