Official Battlefield 3 thread

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Re: Battlefield 3 at rAge

Post by D3PART3D »

Thanks guys, watching all the videos now...
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
thrillseeker75

Post by thrillseeker75 »

im playing the game now and all i can say is this is EPIC! action packed and the visuals are insane! you will not be disappointed. dolby digital too! :) my favorite scene so far is when you get to walk of a air craft carrier and jump straight into a mig 29. absolute brilliant!
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

I thought it was 28 October world wide?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
thrillseeker75

Post by thrillseeker75 »

the game it out since 25th October for north America. 28 October for south africa ;)
PhR34KKK

Post by PhR34KKK »

Pick and pay made a BOO BOO as well as Amazon.. they released the game a tad early ..
http://tinyurl.com/5ttfyrl
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

So everyone got the game but no one bothered posting so far?

Well post no. 1 after receiving the game, it looks amazing, the maps are MASSIVE, 64 player games are insane.

My one complaint though is that it lacks maps to be frank. Although different modes scales the maps down.
My Steam Screenshots

IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

StarBound wrote:So everyone got the game but no one bothered posting so far?

Well post no. 1 after receiving the game, it looks amazing, the maps are MASSIVE, 64 player games are insane.

My one complaint though is that it lacks maps to be frank. Although different modes scales the maps down.
Ok I'll throw in my 2c.

After installing Origin and "downloading" the game from the DVD's and installing, the game still downloaded a 500mb update. And then also had to download the latest ATI/AMD drivers.

After that was complete I could play. The web interface really works well. Refreshing the server lists are quick and the filters work great. (I did not even bother starting the campaign). From the same interface you can access the campaign and co-op. Your stats are also available there. Basically a nice one stop shop for your whole Battlefield 3 experience.

Getting into the game I must say the graphics are stunning. I stood around taking in everything before procedding into battle.

The gameplay is a bit "faster" than BFBC2, but for the better. Like SB said, the maps are huge and using some motorized transport is a must if you spawn at your base. Most of the people is still on low levels which makes it fun. I started playing BFBC2 when most guys were level 30 and above and that makes it hard to play against all their advanced weapons, but now its much more fun when everyone starts off on even levels. Although I did see one guy (on release day) that was on level 25. Shame, probably does not have a life. LOL!

They could have made the customizing of your weapons and attachments a bit easier. "Click customize", "Click on weapon", "Click on loadout" and then only can you select your attachments and perks.

But ja, very fun and I'm hooked. The Frostbite engine does amazing things and it just looks and feels the business. I played some BFBC2 after it and man what a difference!
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

I honestly cant care for the single player in the game. After the first check point I just quit and started up Deus Ex HR Missing Link.

Had a blast with multiplayer last night although I made the mistake of switching teams instead of squads and ended up having to take on the people I was talking with over the battlechat log. That said I got them watching their backs as I managed to get their dog tags and when people in tanks starts to target you you know your doing something :P
My Steam Screenshots

IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

Fav map so far for me has to be Grand Bazaar.

I think learning the maps is top priority. In some maps when I spawn I'm so disorientated that I don't know which way. Especially when spawning in the battle.

Now that you mention dog tags, the action performed by the avatar is too long. I spawned right next to my squad mate, up comes one enemy and knives him. I literally stood there and watched the two engage in the animation of the "knive". For around 5 seconds. Then I shot him after I got bored.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Wait was that you that killed me? Mweb or SGS server? Because I got killed and my knife was sticking into the guys head and he was just standing there.

I actually think metro is my fav even though it was the beta map. No vichels makes the killing more saticefying.
My Steam Screenshots

KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

I started playing on friday night and didn't leave the flat till sunday morning. It was EPIC!!! on an Epicly EPIC scale.

Favourite map for flying is Operation Firestorm, favourite tank map is Suine (Boerrie is an expert tank driver while I am gunner - potent combo) and favourite infantry map is grad bazaar, got stuck in a fire fight that took my tean 15 minutes to win.

Overall I am loving the game.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

StarBound wrote:Wait was that you that killed me? Mweb or SGS server? Because I got killed and my knife was sticking into the guys head and he was just standing there.

I actually think metro is my fav even though it was the beta map. No vichels makes the killing more saticefying.
Not sure. lol.

It was on Caspian Border playing conquest. I think it was on the hill capture point where I killed the oke while he was lemming someone. :D
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

Oh ja, can't we have the thread title changed to "Official Battlefield 3 thread" or something? Much more fitting now that the game has been released and from now on people commenting here will be playing the game at home and not at rage.
thrillseeker75

Re: Official Battlefield 3 thread

Post by thrillseeker75 »

everyone is talking about the multi-player but no one is commenting on the campaign :( I quiet enjoyed the campaign. It was very short tho.
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

thrillseeker75 wrote:everyone is talking about the multi-player but no one is commenting on the campaign :( I quiet enjoyed the campaign. It was very short tho.
lol.

I guess more people buy the game for the MP. :)
senile

Post by senile »

So how does BF3 compare to the older MW2 in terms of gameplay speed? I really hated BFBC2 because you moved and aimed at a slow pace.

And is it still a case of spawn-die-spawn-die as with BFBC2, where 17 snipers wait on a hill far away to take out as you respawn.

And finally, did choppers and jet fighters make a return?
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

senile wrote:So how does BF3 compare to the older MW2 in terms of gameplay speed? I really hated BFBC2 because you moved and aimed at a slow pace.

And is it still a case of spawn-die-spawn-die as with BFBC2, where 17 snipers wait on a hill far away to take out as you respawn.

And finally, did choppers and jet fighters make a return?
Gameplay is faster than BFBC2. Much more like the MW series. But not as twitchy though. :D
I also found the aiming and moving slow in the beginning, but once I got accustomed to it, it was very playable.

Not sure about you, but I never had that spawn-die-spawn-die in BFBC2. LOL!

And yes, there are choppers and jets, but what makes it nice now is the jets and choppers battle in teh air and leave the infantry alone. One thing I hated about BFBC2 is you cannot run in a open space without a damn chopper taking you out. :evil:
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Finally got around to installing Battlefield 3. I was expecting it to be a story and a half to get the game running. But no, it was much less painful than I expected and I did not have to download anything(unlike steam games).

So far the game is rather fun, I love the explosions. I just need to get used to the aiming and firing system, which is much faster then BFBC2 but still slower than Cod.
ADT

Post by ADT »

I really want to buy BF3, but two things bothers me, is it true that the minimum internet speed you need to play online is a 1mbps connection?

And this also worries me a bit, care to comment, taken of the official BF3 blog -
Recommended system requirements for Battlefield 3

Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
RAM: 4GB
Graphics card: DirectX 11 Nvidia or AMD ATI card, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 or ATI Radeon 6950.
Graphics card memory: 1 GB
Sound card: DirectX compatibl sound card
Hard drive: 15 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version
I've got a 5770 1GB GPU, does this mean i will have to run the game on minimum? :shock:

This looks like the new crysis whem it comes to requirements
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Toms hardware had a benchmark. As far as I remember bf3 can scale really well.
My Steam Screenshots

Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Tom's reckon it will run fine on your card at high detail @ 1680x1050, higher res would pos a problem at high settings.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
ADT

Post by ADT »

Thanxs star, ya Hman just read through the benchmark review now, that'll do i guess :) , and the part with the minimum internet connection for online play?
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

ADT wrote:Thanxs star, ya Hman just read through the benchmark review now, that'll do i guess :) , and the part with the minimum internet connection for online play?
I play on a 512kb/s WIRELESS line and its all good. :D No lag and the ping on local servers are anything between 40-90.
ADT

Post by ADT »

Awesome, i have a 3.6Mb 3G dongle, hope it does the part
Spoiler (show)
ADT

Post by ADT »

So it seems like TAKEALOT has the best price for BF3 online, will still check around locally
Spoiler (show)