Official Battlefield 3 thread

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
ASUS_za

Official Battlefield 3 thread

Post by ASUS_za »

A lot of people have been asking us, and yes, the rumors are true.

Asus South Africa and EA South Africa are teaming up to bring you Battlefield 3, roughly 1 month before the official launch date. We will be getting our paws on 8 copies of the game, and we will be building up 8 high-end gaming PC's with 22" monitors.

Have you bought your ticket to rAge yet?
Last edited by Anakha56 on 31 Oct 2011, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Thread changed
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: Battlefield 3 at rAge

Post by StarBound »

If I didn't stop playing World of Warcraft and the WoW event didn't fall thru I would have been at rage next weekend. If anything atleast we will see first hand if Battlefield 3 needs Origin or not.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Ok guys I just downloaded and played BF3 beta on ps3. The game looks good but it has very noticeable detail pop-ins. For instance I looked at a block that suddenly turned into a lion. Whenever I got killed it would show the kill cam and the guy would just start getting detailed like his visor would pop in, his guns sight and holes would start appearing ect.

Busy downloading the pc version of the beta, damn EA and origin, and will be done in 4-5 hours... so will only finish it tomorrow. Got a few CoD matches waiting. Also note PC beta is 3.5gb big and ps3 is only 1.1gb big.
My Steam Screenshots

Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Yeah I have the beta downloading for PC as well. Its going to take a long time on my 384k line...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Mr_Norris

Post by Mr_Norris »

I preordered the game for Xbox.

So I'm gonna skip out on the beta, and wait for my copy to arrive at the end of next month :D
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Thing is I am trying to get back onto pc as much as possible. PS3 and 360 are seriously dated. The only good games coming out on them running good are their exclusives. BTW the beta ends 10 October so if you dont feel like spending that one cap for 10 days you should stop downloading now.

I did it for the comparisson. This way its not just confirming that pc is better but its showing how much better.
My Steam Screenshots

Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

No cap, have a uncapped unshaped line so it will be downloading at full speed for the next couple of days. Should be finished by the time the weekend arrives. Really want to test it because of the way game selection works if I can live with it then I will buy the game if not I will pass. Basically its the equivalent of a demo...

/Now if I could get one for D3...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Ok I got it and here is the grilled cheese that EA is selling us.

1 - download and install origin. Its mandatory.
2 - You need to download gamespy.
3 - You need to install a browser plugin that launches the game (and logs your keystrokes).
4 - Finally you need to have the actual game that your playing installed. Bet you didnt expect that on the list :P

Apart from my machine specs apon loading the screen I get tuned that I am still using nvidias whql driver and it wants me to use the 285 beta drivers. The game runs 120fps on max detail (again I vsync with 120hz). It plays like a cod/bf hybrid. The looks of BF is there. The playstyle is dominantly cod.

You CAN browse for servers. Just click the part under quick match in your browser to allow you to view the avalible servers. This helps alot considering the matchmaking will complain about you having a firewall to protect your pc. It also allows you to join ZA servers with pings of 50-80ms for 32 player matches.

Then the load time. It takes about 10 seconds for the initial start up. There after I wait about a second for the game to load a lvl.

I am both impressed and horrified at the same time. This can replace CoD for me but then again it is more like cod than bf to me.

Also things to note: Detail wise the game doesn't have the pop-ins of textures/object that is apparent on the ps3 version. The game looks good but nothing like a DX11 generation of game should look like.
My Steam Screenshots

D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

StarBound wrote:The game runs 120fps on max detail
It runs that well? :o Didn't DICE say last week that you'd need 2x 580GTX cards to run on high?

StarBound wrote:This can replace CoD for me but then again it is more like cod than bf to me.
That totalbuscuit dude says that the Battlefield feel is dependent on the map you're playing on, do you agree? If that's the case I wouldn't mind terribly, you're getting 2 games for the price of one! :)
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Well the map you get in the beta is Rush: Metro. Let me run down my experience after playing for 2 days and this is on the game only:
The game pacing is faster than BF, almost in line with Black Ops and slower than MW2.
The game allows tactical play. It is better to have your squad with you most of the time if not all times.
You can be a hero and solo it if you want.
Its impossible to camp unnoticed. Your scope gives off glare and your laser sight puts a big red dot on a players screen.
Don't know if this applies to the game later on but ruskies and marines have different weapons. More locked to what that side would actually have.

I am impressed so far. It looks like I will be getting it absolutely. But I might consider getting MW3 to just to have that bit different experience of a one man army.

I should mention that today something happened that didnt happen last night and it is that I am semi falling through the floor of the level. But its beta so should be fixed in the full version.
My Steam Screenshots

StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

It seems ultra detail in the BF3 beta is locked to high detail. So 120fps on high, then what will ultra be like?
My Steam Screenshots

StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Ok so here is my update after playing for the week. I am sold on the game. The webbrowser server browser is actually better for me than an ingame browser. It is easier for me to see my profile with my unlocks, my stats and what I need to do next for unlocking. The battlelog is awesome and I can see why activision is pushing to get it paid for. Never the less I am past the ****** of having to install every single piece of crap that EA threw at me and after that everything is running smoothly. Still not entirely sure if I am secure or not after it though.

BF3 beta has bugs but it is a beta so it will be forgiven IF they fix the issues at launch. If not then what was the point? The game is much more quad focused than cod so should you look to go solo then MW3 is for you. If you want your behind handed to you then get this game. You'll be on the floor in no time.

Noticeable is that assault now carries the medic roll aswell and as such it is my favourite class to play. I love the idea that I can be the attacker and squad healer at the same time. I still want to get MW3 as my solo replacement but as it currently stands I might just get this one and leave MW3 entirely.
My Steam Screenshots

THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Yea Battlefield 3 does look rather good. I personally wont bother with MW3 as the there has not been a really good call of duty since cod4(in terms of multiplayer anyway)
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

I actually enjoyed black ops, the first cod since cod4. But I have to add that dedicated servers was the make or break factor. It is more arcady than CoD4 but less than MW2.
My Steam Screenshots

THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

I just wish they would make a game with an old fashioned LAN multilayer
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

THE_STIG wrote:I just wish they would make a game with an old fashioned LAN multilayer
+++++
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Sojourn wrote:
THE_STIG wrote:I just wish they would make a game with an old fashioned LAN multilayer
+++++
Torchlight 2
My Steam Screenshots

Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

StarBound wrote:
Sojourn wrote:
+++++
Torchlight 2
The attached assumption was that the Lan game would be something like COD or Battlefield, not a Diablo ripoff.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

I am looking for something like cod4. I hate all this dedicated server stuff.....trying to get all the emulators going in order to play them at a LAN is a real pain.......the mod I have for MW that allows LAN play is tricky to setup and often crashes. Why cant they bring back the old fashioned LAN multiplayer??
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5011/nvid ... -tech-talk
NVIDIA/EA Posts Battlefield 3 Graphics Tech Talk
by Ryan Smith on 10/25/2011 3:14:00 AM
Posted in GPUs

At GeForce LAN 6, DICE's senior software architect Johan Andersson gave a fantastic talk about the technical aspects of the graphics renderer in DICE's Frostbite 2 engine, which is the engine being used to power the recently launched Battlefield 3. Short of a GDC session it's one of the most comprehensive graphics tech talks we've seen in recent years, and definitely one of the most accessible. While the talk was public, the official recording of it was withheld until today to promote the release of Battlefield 3.

It has since been posted in 5 parts on YouTube, each covering a different aspect of the engine: objects, lighting, effects, terrain, and post-processing. If you have an hour and an interest in game engines I'd highly recommend taking the time to watch all 5 parts - it's an extremely enlightening view on how Frostbite 2 works, and a good insight into how similar DX10+ engines will be built in the future.
Bookmarks link for home viewing...
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Here is the review for BF3 on pc:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pc-re ... d-3/722936

And a 720p comparisson between the xbox, ps3 and pc:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pc-vs ... d-3/722998
My Steam Screenshots

StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Ok peeps here is the better comparison. Remember to watch at 1920x1080.

My Steam Screenshots

Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

StarBound wrote:Ok peeps here is the better comparison. Remember to watch at 1920x1080.

384k = long buffering time... :P
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

And you still need to download the patch for the game when its released :P
My Steam Screenshots

Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

StarBound wrote:And you still need to download the patch for the game when its released :P
That turned me off the last Battlefield, played it when it was first released. Stopped for another game and when I went back to it there was about 1GB in patch download :cry:. Just said bugger it and let it gather dust...