Moments where you feel like a kid again (in a bad way)

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Moments where you feel like a kid again (in a bad way)

Post by KALSTER »

Ever fail so thoroughly that you seriously doubt your ability to look after yourself?

A few weeks ago my brothers and I went to visit the parentals up north. It was the weekend the Boks lost to the Aussies and we all made our way to the motor show at Nasrech the day before. My one brother and friend went a bit earlier and we organised with them to buy our tickets before hand and to meet us at one of the gates in order to avoid possible long queues (which there weren't). For some odd reason I gave my brother my wallet to pay with, instead of just handing him the cash (why? No idea). So me, my dad and other brother got there and met up with them at the gate, where they showed the tickets to the gate dude and we went through. On the other side they gave the tickets to my dad to hold. On the other side our group got distracted by the Chev skid park, while brother and friend disappeared (still holding my wallet). After walking around for a few hours I decided to join brother and friend. In the mean time, my phone had been cut off due to an error at MTN (the second in as many months), so I used my dad's phone to phone them and find out where they are. After a vague answer I hung up and took off, but after a few minutes of searching, I gave up. So I turned back to rejoin my dad and other brother, but they had wondered off somewhere.

So, here I was, a 33 year old man, effectively lost at Nasrech, without a cell phone or any money or even having come with my own car! My dad had the tickets, so I would probably not have been able to just leave without them asking to see my ticket in order to wait for them at the car. It started to dawn on me that as far as each of them were concerned, I was with the other group. That meant that if I did not find them, a real possibility existed that they would both eventually leave, meet up back at the house 30km away, realise I wasn't there, failed to phone me and having have to drive all the way back to come and rescue me, possibly needing to resort to calling me over the intercom system!

Thankfully, after an hour and a half, I ran into my dad and other brother, of course pretending as if nothing severely embarrassing had almost befell me.

Does this kind of relentless stupidity overcome anyone else from time to time, or am I in truth just mildly retarded?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: Moments where you feel like a kid again (in a bad way)

Post by hamin_aus »

Happens to the best of us, bud.

On holiday in NZ in the late 90's we were at a nature reserve with these little 20 minute wildlife trails. So I went for a solo walk. after about 20 mins I got to the end of the trail and for some reason still unknown to myself, I carried on going. Didn't take me long to get completely lost. Obviously I had no phone on me so I just wandered around the New Zealand bush for about 2 hours.
I though I'd hit civilization when the bush cleared, but it was just a pasture with some cows and an angry bull which decided it didn't want me around.
Getting away from the bull involved jumping over an electrified fence. Found that out the hard way. Cut my hand in the escape (who electrifies a barbed wire fence????)
The farmer eventually came to see what all the noise was about and had a good laugh. He was however kind enough to give me a ride back to the park - got him to drop me off out of sight from my family so that I could saunter in all nonchalant like I wasn't the biggest idiot in NZ.

I asked him if people often get lost in the park - he said no, never, I was the first he'd heard of - not even the odd child who wanders off alone gets lost like I did.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Re: Moments where you feel like a kid again (in a bad way)

Post by Hman »

Hahaha. You guys made my day just a little better.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers