SARS and UIF question

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Ark
Processor: E4400
Graphics card: 8800GTX
Memory: 4GB DDR2

SARS and UIF question

Post by Ark »

here's a hypothetical scenario:

Let's say Jim has worked for a company for let's say, 2 years. He worked full time, standard office hours. He has no contract, and the employer never paid UIF and any form of tax registrations never took place. Jim got fired. What happens now? :)
16-bit Corpse
Spoiler: (show)
I like scrota.
SykomantiS

Re: SARS and UIF question

Post by SykomantiS »

Jim gets screwed over, goes to ccma and hopes he has some credible witnesses to support is accusations? :?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

+1 I would involve a Labour lawyer. Pretty sure it states somewhere that if you are employed and paid on a regular basis by a company you become a permanent employee after 6 months. Our labour law was made up to protect against abuse like this. Also if monies were being deposited into Jim's account on a monthly basis it shows an employment history ;). If I see one of our NUMSA union reps I will ask them what they think...

*edit*

A mate here at work who knows a little about labour law says the same thing. Get a lawyer involved and you can sue for damages and such. Also drop SARS a line to get this company audited to really screw them over...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Anakha56 wrote: Also drop SARS a line to get this company audited to really screw them over...
Sage advice. Remembering that Jim has 2 years' worth of taxes due himself, of course. ;)
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

Jim is a mega idiot for not insisting on a contract between him and the company.
Who works for two years without a formal agreement between employer and employee?

Ok, so no contract, but surely there must have been a verbal agreement. Something in the lines of: "Come work here, we will pay you". Verbal agreements these days do hold some water me thing.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Does JIM have an ERP5 provided to him by the company he worked for :?:
Also JIM needs to check his salary slip and see if they made any notations of UIF deductions. If they did the company is completely liable for the taxes owed to SARS. If not the company will be exempt from any liability as the onus is still on the employee not the employer. The only thing JIM can nail the company he used to work for with is the deduction of taxes from his salary without paying it over to SARS which is fraudulent.

EDIT:

Just talked to my sister as who works with this stuff.... She says
Hy moet na sy payslips kyk en seker maak dat hulle daarop aangedui het dat die paye en uif afgetrek is. Dis sy enigste bewys. Volgens sars is jy persoonlik aanspreeklik vir die belasting nie oorbetaal nie en nie die Co nie. Dan kan hy ook nie met sars daaroor stry nie. Hy moet met die werkgewer gaan praat en as hulle se dat hulle dit oorbetaal het moet hulle 'n bewys daarvoor gee. Daarna kan hy na sars gaan met daai bewys. Indien hulle dit nie betaal het nie sal hy die geld moet betaal en hy kan dan die Co dagvaar vir die geld
<Mind the AFR>

So in short...
1) check payslip for deductions
2) if no deduction then JIM is stuffed and has to pay SARS
3) if there is deductions on payslip then JIM has to find out from said company for proof that it was paid over to SARS
4) if they can not provide proof then JIM has to pay SARS first and then sue the said company for the fraudulent deductions made against his salary.
5) if the said company can provide proof the proof has to be presented to SARS who will in turn write off the arrears.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

@RRF

Thanks, interesting. I was always under the impression that registering for and payment of UIF was the responsibility of the employer.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

doo_much wrote:
Anakha56 wrote: Also drop SARS a line to get this company audited to really screw them over...
Sage advice. Remembering that Jim has 2 years' worth of taxes due himself, of course. ;)
As I said above, regular payments into ones bank account = paper trail which = employment history. Yes Jim is going to get screwed by SARS himself but the benefit is you get to screw the company as well, also do an anonymous phone call they work wonders ;). Hell if you fight this in Labour Court you can get the company to pay your SARS amount and still get a decent amount to live off of. Hence the reason why my first advice is get a labour lawyer.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.