Mandela voted world's most visible personality

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Mandela voted world's most visible personality

Post by KatrynKat »

Johannesburg - Nelson Mandela, Roger Federer, Bill Gates, Warren Buffett and Richard Branson are the world’s most visible leaders and public personalities according to a new study by Reputation Institute. South Africa’s Nelson Mandela topped the list with tennis champion, Roger Federer, second on the 2011 Leader RepTrak™, a new global study of the general public, developed by Reputation Institute to assess the reputations of the world’s most visible leaders and public personalities in politics, business, culture and sports. Reputation Institute created a list of 54 of the world’s most visible leaders and public personalities in politics, business, culture, and sports. 51 055 members of the general public in 25 countries were asked to assess these individuals using Reputation Institute’s RepTrak™ Pulse to measure their reputation on a 0-100 point scale based on four attributes: The degree to which a person is liked, respected, admired, and trusted. The sample of respondents was balanced to each country’s population on age, gender, and region. Fielding took place in April-May 2011 and was powered by SSI International.
Spoiler: (show)
Mandela’s powerful story of offender to beloved first president of South Africa has made him a symbol of the worldwide struggle against injustice and a continuing source of inspiration to people the world over. The number two ranking of Federer, the 5-time US Open tennis champion, has him admired as much for his on-court results as for his off-court charitable efforts. Like Mandela, Federer has a well-known passion for South Africa and its people, due no doubt to his mother’s heritage. Business visionaries ranked high on the list, and includes the philanthropic duo of Gates and Buffet, the entrepreneurial duo of Branson and Jobs, and India’s Ratan Tata. Social entrepreneurs Oprah Winfrey and Bono regularly call public attention to global causes for which they earn high praise from the public.

At the other extreme, the public gave its weakest ratings to leaders deemed “anti-democratic.” Kim Jong-il, the North Korean dictator, took last place in the study. Many western Politicians also rated poorly with the public. In contrast to Federer, trophy-rich golfer Tiger Woods once the darling of the media, sits near the end of the list.

“The results of Reputation Institute’s study confirm that people respect leaders that participate in philanthropic activities outside of their own celebrity. The public’s top two on our list, Mandela and Federer, have emotional ties to South Africa, and donate both time and money to the betterment of the region and its people. They get praise for their efforts,” says Reputation Institute Chairman, Dr. Charles Fombrun.

The results of the study are comparable by gender, age, and region, with minor differences. Older respondents tend to be more critical, as are Latin Americans. Men and women generally rate public personalities similarly, with minor exceptions: Men favor sports figures more so than women (who were especially critical of Tiger Woods); women find corporate leaders more appealing than do men; they also tend to rate female leaders more harshly than men. Perhaps the broadest lesson from the study is that the public tends to be critical of leaders.
OFM
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: Mandela voted world's most visible personality

Post by hamin_aus »

Reputation Institute :?:

Meh. Sounds like Scientology

Good for Madiba, I suppose... but who are some of the people on that list...
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Lol if you read what she posted you would know
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

I didn't mean it like that, blondie.

I meant I have never seen some of those names prior to this article :P
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Lol. Oh kay. ;-)
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

This list is imperialist propaganda, our beloved Kim Jong-Il can never be last on any list.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers