2 aircraft go missing on their way back from Tzaneen airshow

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

2 aircraft go missing on their way back from Tzaneen airshow

Post by THE_STIG »

Lauren Hess, News24

Cape Town - At least 12 search and rescue aircraft, ready to fly as part of efforts to find two Albatross aircraft that went missing in George’s Valley in Limpopo at the weekend, have been grounded due to bad weather.

“We have nothing, nothing yet,” Darrell Rush, with the rescue crew, told News24 on Monday morning.....
Full story

Wow, and there were 6 people on each of them......I hope they find something soon :shock:
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: 2 aircraft go missing on their way back from Tzaneen air

Post by Ron2K »

/moved to Discussions
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Eish forgot that their was a Discussions section :oops:

// some more info
Johannesburg - A search and rescue team was hiking to an area where a Maake community leader said he saw two light aircraft go down, Limpopo police said on Monday.

"As soon as we got the information from the man we asked the defence force to use their helicopter to go to the village," Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi said.

"The helicopter couldn't get through because of the weather and so we have dispatched a team of rescue personnel and police who are on the ground now."
Full story
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Planes' wreckage: No word on survivors

Johannesburg - The wreckage of the two aircraft that went missing in George's Valley near Tzaneen has been found, Search and Rescue SA spokesperson Johnny Smit said on Tuesday.

Smit said it was not yet established if any of the people on board survived the crash.

Rescue personnel were being hoisted down into the area to look for survivors, he said.

When News24 last spoke to Smit he said there was no word yet from rescuers on whether or not they had found survivors or bodies.

He said, however, that communication with the rescue team was tricky given that they were in a mountainous region.

Both planes were discovered by a police helicopter, after weather allowed for search and rescue efforts to continue on Tuesday.

Bad weather, and low cloud conditions had hampered operations on Monday, Smit said.

He added that rescue efforts would be a "straight forward operation".

Most of the family of those on board had also gathered in Tzaneen. Family and media in the area were being briefed by rescue personnel.

The planes disappeared on the way to Germiston after an air show on Sunday.
Sorce

I so my flying phobia gets worse :(
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Yea it is really sad, there were some well know and respected members of the aviation on board as well :cry: . And just last week I saw those two planes come flying over the house, little did I know that that would be the last time I will ever see them :(
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Johannesburg - A memorial service for the 13 people who died in a twin aircraft crash near Tzaneen will be held at the Rand Airport at 11:00 on Sunday, said airport officials.

On-site investigations had been completed and a preliminary report was expected within 30 days, SA Civil Aviation Authority spokesperson Phindiwe Gwebu said on Friday.

"We haven't removed the wreckage yet, it's a complicated exercise. There are a lot of role-players who need to be consulted to help remove the wreckage," she said.

The Albatross aircraft took off from the Tzaneen Airport in Limpopo on Sunday at 10.30 after participating in the Tzaneen air show.

It was headed for Rand Airport in Johannesburg, but did not get there and were reported missing at 13.30.

Bad weather and low cloud conditions hampered a search for the aircraft on Monday. They were found on the Mamotswiri Peak, in the Drakensberg, on Tuesday.

All 13 people on board had died. Their bodies were flown to Pretoria on Wednesday for post mortems.

On board one of the aircraft were: Pilot Brian Gruar and passengers Marrion Anderson, Maddison and Alexandra Doak, Tess Spence, Louise Warden and Kevin Woolacott.

Those on the other aircraft were: Pilot Peter Gildenhuys, and passengers Stuart and Peter van Oldenburg, Frans Dely, Marietjie de Witt, and Linda Pierce.

- SAPA
Sorce

I will be able to hear the planes form my house as they past right over it when in circuit to land.....it will be sad :cry: