Space Missions

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Koko_Lion

Space Missions

Post by Koko_Lion »

For those who like this stuff. Shuttle Discovery should go up tomorrow.

Date: Feb. 24
Mission: STS-133
Launch Vehicle: Space Shuttle Discovery
Launch Site: Kennedy Space Center - Launch Pad 39A
Launch Time: 4:50 p.m. EST
STS-133 Description: Space shuttle Discovery will deliver the Express Logistics Carrier-4 (ELC-4), a Permanent Multipurpose Module (PMM) and critical spare components to the International Space Station.

More on the mission and crew
Mission STS-133
Sojourn

Re: Space Missions

Post by Sojourn »

Big baraboom.
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Hope not
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Shuttle Discovery's STS-133 TV schedule gives a full rundown of mission events. It's online at: http://go.nasa.gov/dHTTrI

I follow them on Twitter - here is another
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

The Nasa TV is very interesting
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Thanks Tribs! That's awsome
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

really should find a more efficient way of launching these shuttles
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

RiaX wrote:really should find a more efficient way of launching these shuttles
Care to make a suggestion ?
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 03:48, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

:banghead:
Can we feed them to you
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Some tweets that may be of interest:

Rotating service structure, which protects Discovery from weather, will roll back at 8pET. Watch live: http://www.nasa.gov/ntv (Which is about 3am tomorrow our time I think)

Waiting for the CubeSats to launch? Learn more about @NASA's ELaNa mission: http://go.nasa.gov/fii9w6 & http://go.nasa.gov/gyAIIk

No launch for the Glory mission tonight. Engineers are still trouble-shooting a tech issue. Next try no earlier than Friday 5:09am ET.

New @NASA_hubble app for #iphone! Help pick most popular images, get wallpaper and more! On the apps page: http://go.nasa.gov/bCsDTU (makes me wish I had an iPhone)

Now THIS is a dust plume! Our Terra satellite captured this image over the Mediterranean earlier today. http://go.usa.gov/gVc
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

this type of stuff reminds me of the movie Armageddon....
and the song "I don't want to miss a thing - Aerosmith"....
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

Sojourn wrote:
RiaX wrote:really should find a more efficient way of launching these shuttles
Care to make a suggestion ?
lol wish i could but not my field of expertise.
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Nice Pic Tribs!

Here's Discovery shortly after they rolled back the Rotating Service Structure. I do believe this is Discovery's last mission?

2 Hours to go at the time of this post. I wonder how many nervous employees there are right now?
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

It is indeed

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Discovery's Orbiter Boom Sensor System about to be moved by station arm to shuttle arm: watch on NASA TV & http://www.nasa.gov/ntv

http://www.flickr.com/photos/magisstra/548078141 - photo hosted on Flickr
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

^^ Thats really cool!

Date: May 1 (This weekend)
Mission: STS-134
Launch Vehicle: Space Shuttle Endeavour
Launch Site: Kennedy Space Center - Launch Pad 39A
Launch Time: 2:59 p.m. EDT
STS-134 Description: Space shuttle Endeavour will deliver the Express Logistics Carrier-3 (ELC-3) and the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer (AMS) to the International Space Station.

More: Mission STS-134

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I thought it was delayed.
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

:oops:

I see you again correct. My mistake.

I need to read more. :(
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

Not sure if it is applicable here, we(africa) have launched another satelite.

New African telecommunications satellite safely in orbit

Africa’s newest telecommunications satellite, Intelsat New Dawn, is now safely in orbit following its launch on Good Friday from French Guiana by European commercial launch services company Arianespace.

The satellite will operate from a geostationary orbit at 32,8 ˚ East and it carries 28 C-band and 24 Ku-Band 36 megaHerz transponder units. It will cover the whole of Africa, much of Europe, some of the Middle East and Pakistan.

It is the first communications satellite that is predominantly owned by the African private sector and it is a joint venture between Intelsat and an African consortium led by South Africa’s Convergence Partners.

Intelsat New Dawn was one of two satellites carried aboard an Ariane 5 ECA rocket (the other payload was also a telecommunications satellite, Yahsat Y1A, for a company in the United Arab Emirates), which lifted off at 18:37 local time from the Kourou spaceport.

The rocket’s two solid fuel boosters separated at an altitude of 66,5 km and the payload fairing was jettisoned at 105 km. Yahsat Y1A was the upper payload and was released by the rocket 27 minutes after lift off, followed by New Dawn, released 35 minutes after lift off.

The launch was originally scheduled for March 30, but was scrubbed just seconds before lift off when an onboard computer detected an abnormal parameter in the Ariane rocket during the automated checkout which followed the ignition of the main, liquid fuelled engine.

The engine was automatically shut down and the launch rocket was subsequently returned to the Final Assembly Building for examination. Following a successful checkout, the rocket was prepared for its second launch attempt and returned to the launchpad.

Intelsat New Dawn is intended to meet the rapidly growing demand in Africa – the continent’s market for satellite communications services had been growing at an average rate of 7% annually for the past four years.

Indeed, Africa was the fastest growing region in the world for Intelsat during for 2008 and 2009, and the continent’s business is now worth some $400-million a year to the global group.

Customers already signed up for New Dawn include Vodacom, Telecom Namibia and Bharti Airtel, and most of the satellite’s capacity has already been sold.

New Dawn has been funded with a mixture of equity (15%) and debt (85%). Of the equity, 74,9% is held by Intelsat and 25,1% by a consortium headed by Convergence Partners, which includes Altirah Telecoms and the not-for-profit Convergence Partners Foundation.

Regarding the debt, 10% of the financing comes from Intelsat and 90% from African institutions, including Nedbank, the African Development Bank and South Africa’s Industrial Development Corporation.
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

NASA shot its 4-ton Juno spacecraft into the cosmos today with the ultimate goal of exploring everything it can about the largest planet in our solar system, Jupiter.

Juno, once described as a flying armored tank, will take five years to reach its destination, slated to arrive at Jupiter in August 2016. Once there the spacecraft will spend a year surveying Jupiter to find out, among other things whether there is a solid core beneath its multi-colored clouds.
Full article

Check back in a few years to see what this one finds.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

:lol: Appropriate that they name it after Jupiter's wife....
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot