The Firearm Thread

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Re: The Firearm Thread

Post by Monty »

KillerByte wrote:Any one else fired a .50 rifle?

I did the muzzle loader .50 (not sure on the weight of the round) with a nice 85 grain powder charge. Does not kick too much but it kicks a lot more than the .300 WSM.
I'll be shooting them next year (a mate is going to drag me along when he next goes shooting)
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

Monty wrote:
KillerByte wrote:
Monty wrote:Next year I will probably apply for a license for a .22 so I can begin competition shooting again - Yay!
Good luck. If you do get a license then I will be jealous.
Lol. I have got an advantage: four years of compition shooting behind my name already from school
I know ex-SANDF members who can't even get licenses for fire arms that they want to buy. I honestly will be very surprised if you actually get a license. I am not trying to sound like an bottom but the laws int his country are not exactly good for the average joe.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

KillerByte wrote:I know ex-SANDF members who can't even get licenses for fire arms that they want to buy. I honestly will be very surprised if you actually get a license. I am not trying to sound like an bottom but the laws int his country are not exactly good for the average joe.
Then I think I got the wrong story from my mate :oops:
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

Guess I didn't say it before, I'm used to firearms. In St5(guess that is grade 7 now) I spend a whole holiday practicing at one of my uncles with his R-4(back then the commandos was still fuctioning). Since I was small I loved handling guns, target shooting every time I can. Currently I live on the same farm as my parents, so I can use their weapons, but I would like to get one for myself.

In this area motivating why I need a gun will be easy, and I can still add things like target shooting too. I can offer about 5 shootings in the general area in the past 4 weeks eg. this from news24 http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Afri ... 34,00.html. Also one in the past 6 months within 2km from us. BTW its also good to get a police clearance letter, Its seems that they add greatly to the chance of getting the licence.

What would the chance be to get a licence for this at the same time as getting one for the P226? .22 ammo is far cheaper than 9mm.
Greegor

Post by Greegor »

@nuke You can do the necessary courses before you turn 21.

If you get your license for self-defense you are limited to 200 rounds.
If you get your license for dedicated sport shooting or hunting you can have more than 200 rounds.

You are limited to 4 firearms. (Only 1 for self-defense)
If you have dedicated status you can have more than 4 firearms.

I know someone with no military history, no previous firearm training and no matric certificate that has a license for self-defense.

Maybe it's luck... Maybe they throw the applications against the wall and if yours stick, you get a license... :lol:

Or maybe it's all about the way you write your motivation on why you want/need the firearm.
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
2GB OCZ DDR3 PC3 1066MHz
Nvidia 8800GT 512MB
2X 250GB Western digital SATA2 HDD
Gigabyte 450Watt PSU
2333SW Samsung 23" wide
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

So I fell in love this weekend.

her name is .38 special and she is a beauty.

below are a few photos. We went to the range at Atterbury Value Mart. Used about 350 rounds.

My brother shooting the the CZ 75 Kadet .22

My uncles (ex-SAPS) with the .38 special

Me with the .38 special

Me with the .357 Magnum (that thing kicks like a mule)

Me with the .38 special again

the range

My brother with the .357

My brother with the .357 from the other side

My brother with the CZ 75 9mm

Me with the CZ 75 9mm

The CZ 75 Kadet .22

And my favourite, the .38 special
Prime

Post by Prime »

Guns don't Kill people, Nuns With Guns Kill People. :lol:

I'm Sure there was a pic in a Mad Mag of a Nun with an AK47 :lol:
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

KillerByte wrote:So I fell in love this weekend.

her name is .38 special and she is a beauty.
According to your post her name is image055iq5.jpg :P

Just kidding, looks like you had some fun.

*Looks at boring air rifle...
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

and whoever said that accuracy goes out the window after a few shots with the .357 Magnum.

Well my uncle sat down and did accuracy shooting with that six shooter. All six shots were grouped in an area the size of a R5 coin. While we were all using earmuffs the blast from teh .357 Magnum was enough to make you feel like you were standing next to a 20" sub woofer at full blast.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Meh, Accuracy FTL. Get a SMAW. :twisted:
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

The point of a 357 is make your kill in at least one or two shots. If your shots start going all over the place, your not holding the gun probably or have not had much practice.
capanno

Post by capanno »

Me = happy! I got my firearm licenses yesterday, and Id like to share the good news, even if it just gives hope for someone else who is still waiting. :D Ive got a Beretta Model 71 (Jaguar) .22 pistol (1960s) and a Walther .22 semi automatic rifle (freaking old). So so happy!!!!!!! It just took a year and 4 months. :|

Interesting fact, I just read online that the Israeli Special Forces used, and in some cases still use, this same Beretta 71 model for assassination and close range combat. Oh my hat, now I just love it even more!
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

Congrats.

I've been thinking about getting a gun myself. A pistol would be nice for self-defence, but a rifle might be more fun at a shooting range. I'd have to do consider it some more ;)
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
naughty

Post by naughty »

well congrats - ive been waiting to receive my licence for over two years now - and ive owned my firearm since 1990 so ive applied for that renewal you need to do every 5 years as from now on

heres a pic of my Browning P35 hi-power

Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

capanno wrote:Me = happy! I got my firearm licenses yesterday, and Id like to share the good news, even if it just gives hope for someone else who is still waiting. :D Ive got a Beretta Model 71 (Jaguar) .22 pistol (1960s) and a Walther .22 semi automatic rifle (freaking old). So so happy!!!!!!! It just took a year and 4 months. :|

Interesting fact, I just read online that the Israeli Special Forces used, and in some cases still use, this same Beretta 71 model for assassination and close range combat. Oh my hat, now I just love it even more!

Oh goody. Google Malema's address and see if it's true. :roll:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
hobojvr

Post by hobojvr »

Ah, firearms :mrgreen:

It's an old thread but I'll have a go anyway.

Preach mode on:

If you understand the responsibilities of firearm ownership and you can fight your way through all the licensing BS and you seriously want to own firearms, go for it. Just remember that YOU are responsible for what you do with that gun and what happens to it. It takes some serious responsibility.

It took me years to get my licences and lots of hassle, so you better start the process as soon as possible. Motivation in applications is critical. The process is very random, slow and run by apparently incompetent people. The current firearms legislation and processes (total disaster) is being challenged in various court cases at the moment. Hopefully we'll get a better deal.

A self-defence gun locked in a safe is almost no good. Remember, the gun is either under you immediate control or locked in a safe and you are in control of access to the safe. Anything in between is irresponsible and illegal.

The generally accepted minimum serious defence calibre is 9mmP (9x19, 9mm Luger) in pistols and 38 special in revolvers. Your best bet in South Africa is Glock or the Smith & Wesson M&P series of guns. These are excellent, reliable and proven pistols and are well supported in SA. Support is a MAJOR concern. SIG's and H&K's might be excellent guns, but try getting spare parts and accessories for them quickly... also don't go for a cheap gun, save up and get quality. In SA it'll take YEARS to change to another gun once you realise the gun you got sucks.

Anyway, shooting is really fun and by following some simple rules and applying some common sense, very safe 8)

preach mode off

Some pics of what I carry 24/7 and shoot with almost every weekend: Glock 17 3rd gen with XTI Procyon light. The light comes on at night at home.
I've got a couple of other guns, but I've not uploaded pics yet. Maybe later.

Some Trijicon night sights I had installed:

And since this is a gaming/hardware site some LCD's :lol:

there is a great local firearms forum in SA, which can be found with google pretty easily if anyone is interested.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Dude, awesome stuff. Just one problem: You need some more hard drive space. all your drives seem to be getting pretty full.
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

How much did you pay for your Glock 17? Around R10k I suppose?
hobojvr

Post by hobojvr »

Hehe, yeah. It's a constant battle between spending on the PC and keeping my shooting habit going. I've taken to reloading my ammo to save cash.

I bought the Glock in 2007 for R7000. They go for about R8500-R9000 now (not bad). Before that I had a Taurus for a few years, but "upgraded" to the Glock and it's totally worth it.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

Synthesis wrote:Dude, awesome stuff. Just one problem: You need some more hard drive space. all your drives seem to be getting pretty full.
you are very observant!!!
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
capanno

Post by capanno »

Very nice!

How often do you practice at a range?
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

Can anyone recommend a decent revolver? Primarily for self-defense and maybe occasionally for shooting at a range? Let's say around 3k to 4k? I'm not entirely sure what they cost. I haven't done much research on the pricing yet.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

A decent .38 special is always a decent buy but if you want something that will leave no witnesses then a .357 Magnum will do the job. Second hand ones will be the more affordable.
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Father has a Colt .357 Magnum. With hollow point rounds, you will have a lot of cleaning up to do :lol:

The guns purpose was for hunting trips as a backup weapon. He got it when he was still at the Kruger Park from one of the section rangers.

As for self defence, the intruder will probably die of fright rather than a bullet wound. :lol:
A few shots in the air in the early morning is sure to wake up half the town, and leave the intruder with second thoughts :mrgreen:

.38 is great