Latest Purchases Thread

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Animal

Latest Purchases Thread

Post by Animal »

Aaargh, double post.
Last edited by Animal on 03 Jun 2011, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
DAE_JA_VOO

Re: Latest Purchases Thread

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Oh sweet, I used one of those for my very first case mod. 200 bucks is a bargain :)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Animal

Post by Animal »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Oh sweet, I used one of those for my very first case mod. 200 bucks is a bargain :)
Ooh yes I remember Epiphany. Read through the mod log twice after it was completed :D Yup, al the posts. Way over 100 pages. Loved it!

Don't plan on doing anything like that, although Maizeys is just around the corner and I found this place: http://www.beyondlaser.co.za/ thats also close :) Maybe if I have some time on hand I'll try something with perspex and some laser cutting.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Animal wrote:Got this for R200. Will be building my Old School gaming rig into it. With lots of uv fans and lights. Why? Because I can :-p

Nice! new or used? :)
Animal

Post by Animal »

Used, but in excellent condition. No scratches or cracks. They stopped making these ages ago :)
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Now that is really nice. Do post a pic when you are done.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Just bought a Aerocool VS-4 gaming case :) , my old Aopen case was getting a little cramped so I decided that it was time for a new one.

Animal

Latest Purchases Thread

Post by Animal »

THE_STIG wrote:Just bought a Aerocool VS-4 gaming case :) , my old Aopen case was getting a little cramped so I decided that it was time for a new one.

Nice case. Have an Aerocool Baydream for my main rig.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

I am very impressed with it......especially since it cost R359.95, it is pretty well designed, has decent cable management, spacious, has a removable HDD cage, tool less drive retention and a nice looking front panel.

Will post the pics of it soon, I like that clear perspex case that you managed to find :D
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

WoW Classic, BC, LK and Cat - R150.

Their goes my social life! :(
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

MSi 890FXA-GD70

2x 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz CL9 1.5v

CoolerMaster eXtreme Power 550W

Still waiting one one of the dimms :evil:
Mr_Norris

Post by Mr_Norris »

So yesterday I got my TV. I was fortunate enough to sell my old 42" plasma (which I got for a steal) which funded my new 32" Full HD Sinotec LCD TV :D

I'm a bit lazy, here is a pic of the box I took with my phone from where I was sitting...

And then today Xiphan was kind enough to fetch an Xbox that was on special for me. Here's a pic of the box (again, from where I am sitting)...

The pic is a bit dark, but here is everything hooked up...

The Xbos and the TV work together flawlessly. Picture is clear and crisp. I wish I could say the same about using the TV with my PC. With the HDMI cable, I'm having big issues getting a clear picture, the right aspect ratio and resolution and no black bars :/
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

May I ask where you bought it and what you paid?
And honestly, do you think it was worth it or do you regret not getting a name-brand like LG or Samsung?

I'm asking because I also really want a new TV but don't want to pay for a namebrand at the same time as not wanting to waste money on a lesser brand.

Oh, I bought a mouse today.
Mr_Norris

Post by Mr_Norris »

Hey,

I bought the TV at Makro.

It's on special until the 27th:

It doesn't actually look like the one in the pic, actually looks way better. Build quality, picture quality is 100%. Comes with VGA, 2 x HDMI, Component and RCA inputs.

My only gripe is my graphics card not being HDMI friendly, even though it has an HDMI port. Otherwise it displays perfectly with my PC being connected via VGA, and my Xbox with HDMI.

The sellers for me were:

* The price
* Supports FULL HD, unlike some others at that price
* The garentee (5 years)

Unfortunately Makro are sometimes a bit backwards when it comes to their specials sometimes. I saw the advert last week Sunday, went to Makro, stood for an hour to bring the TV. They then brought the wrong one down (LED version). So I stood another half hour waiting just for them to ring it up and it was the wrong price :/

I ended up downloading the PDF on my phone and showing him the advert to prove it was advertised at that price, which they eventually gave it to me for. What work, just to get a TV.

Some people love their brands, but to me this is the perfect buy.

Hope this helps!
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Thank you. You've helped convince me a Samsung or LG isn't necessarily worth twice the price. The biggest seller for me, like you said would be the 5 year warranty. Can't beat that. I won't be getting this one on special. 27th is too soon :( but generally they are usually on special somewhere. I'll see what my finances are like next month.
Mr_Norris

Post by Mr_Norris »

Game had them for R3499, and I thought that was a special. Almost bought it till I looked at the Makro website :P

So I don't think you'll lose out.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Synthesis wrote:5 year warranty
It says 5 year guarantee on the add.

That most likely means 1 year manufacturers warranty and for the next 4 years, if it breaks, you drop it off at Macro and they ship it off to EarlyBird or something to get fixed at their convenience.
naughty

Post by naughty »

You've helped convince me a Samsung or LG isn't necessarily worth twice the price
dude - i dont know where you get your prices from but they are ripping you a new one if you pay twice R3200 for a samsung or LG 32" TV

i get the samsung 32" full HD at R4k and thats at full retail - i still get a discount on that from my buddy who is a retailer - so i would get a samsung for a similar price to the normal price of that Sinotec - and despite the 5 year warranty i would much rather have the features and functionality of the samsung

looking at the normal price of R3499 on the sinotec and considering i can get a palsonic (which is made by panasonic) at R2799 thats more what i would consider a bargain
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Yeah not twice the price. My LG 42" full HD is going for R5500 now at some places.
Prime

Post by Prime »

jamin_za wrote:

That most likely means 1 year manufacturers warranty and for the next 4 years, if it breaks, you drop it off at Macro and they ship it off to EarlyBird or something to get fixed at their convenience.

I'd like to see early bird fix them. :lol: Modern electronics are not designed to be fixed...but that's a rant for another thread...
naughty

Post by naughty »

Prime wrote:
jamin_za wrote:

I'd like to see early bird fix them. :lol: Modern electronics are not designed to be fixed...but that's a rant for another thread...
dont you know that "fixing it" is a code for just replacing a whole whack of parts and charging more than a replacement costs anyway

i was given a quote of R9300 for a repair on my old Plasma ...... considering that i had paid R22k for it at a time when it was retailing for R25k it seemed reasonable but i could get a better spec model of the same brand and price at around R8k - so instead of a repair i was better off taking the insurance money and paying them the excess and still getting enough to buy a new TV instead

the point though is that they can usually repair but its not worth the cost cos what they mostly do is replace the entire panel or the entire power supply depending on whats gone - and if its the control boards thats also a drop-in replacement too - but yeah repair usually means "replacing" the borked part
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

My GSkill Sniper DDR3-1600 CL9 8GB kit just arrived from Landmarkpc.co.za. Thank you to Andy for the great service. I have come to expect nothing less from him.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Here's mine. The "purchase" is the printing I had to pay for :P

That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

That is really awesome.
Brad2.0

Post by Brad2.0 »

I bought a second hand Stacker. CM Stacker stc t01 for R400. The qaulity of the case makes it feel like its worth more. The owner kept it clean and in excellent condition. He had every accesorie that came with the case. Im so happy with this purchase, its getting modded soon. It the onw with the window