Want to buy a new camera...

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Want to buy a new camera...

Post by Anakha56 »

What are my options in the mini DSLR range? Not even sure if that is the right name for it...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2675

That is a link for a guide on Digital Cameras for the holidays where they have a couple of models. Namely:

Panasonic G1
Nikon D90
Canon 50D

So what can you people recommended? I dont want a full blown DSLR because they are big and bulky but I want something that will take the same picture quality (or near as) as the DSLR. Oh and I will be buying it in Dubai so my range of cameras will be pretty extensive :).
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Prime

Re: Want to buy a new camera...

Post by Prime »

the d90 and 50D are hardly mini. the d3100 is mini. :P

Let's ask this first, do you want a camera with removable lens?
*Pilgrim*

Post by *Pilgrim* »

I guess you are taking about something in the line of a "bridge" camera? Have a look at the Canon Powershot SX30 IS. Got some very good specs. If memory serves correctly, the Nikon equivalent to this camera is the L100.

http://www.canon-europe.com/For_Home/Pr ... ot_SX30_IS
MOBO: Intel P67-B3 "Barrage" Extreme Series | CPU: i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz | Cooler: Corsair H60 p/p | RAM: 2 X 4GB Corsair XMS3-1333MHz DDR3 | GPU: MSi GTX570 Twin Frozr III Power Edition OC | HDD: 500GB Seagate Barracuda | PSU: Corsair HX1000 | Case: CM 690ii Advanced |Screen: Samsung XL2370 |
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yeah, I'd say rather go with a higher-end Point&Shoot than with an SLR, if "full-blown SLR" isn't what you want. The cameras you listed are SLRs. You can take photos that look 100% pro with those cameras, easily. Sure, they're not D700 or even D3s/x sort of cameras, but they'll do a good job.

You might also want to consider a Micro 4/3s camera. They're like small SLRs. They have smaller sensors than SLRs and interchangeable lenses. The lenses for the are also cheaper than SLR lenses, which are generally pretty pricey. One thing to take into consideration though, is that because of the smaller sensor, and the crop factor, you'll have greater depth of field, which you don't always want (less DOF = blurrier, out-of-focus backgrounds)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

You see this is why I am asking you lot :).

@ Prime my bad thought those were the mini ones :oops:. I was thinking of the idea of getting one that does have a changeable lens.

@ Pilgrim nice camera, will take it into consideration thanks :).

@ DJV I thought the ones I had mentioned were the Micro 4/3's. That is the type I had in mind when I started the thread.

So now with more clarity, any other recommendations? :)
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Prime

Post by Prime »

There is some debate about image quality on m4/3rds. Though in all honesty, I think that's more the user than anything else. You registered on Bit-tech? if so poke your head into their photographic section and ask.

m4/3rds is very expensive locally. The PenF goes for more than the entry level dslr units with twin lens kits. This may sucker you if you ever need additional lenses locally.

my internet is down so I can't pull up any websites with reviews for you.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

/hijack

I need a cam that does NOT have a removable lens, fits in a handbag, so basically a top-of-the-range point-an-shoot something.
No need to discuss at length, a url or make/model reply would be fine.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Sojourn I dont mind a hijack at all :). If there is a very good recommendation from that side I will consider it.
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Sojourn - you should really look at the Canon S95 for your needs.
It really is a spectacular little camera.

https://www.ormsdirect.co.za/photograph ... -is-camera
Latest PIX mag really rates it highly.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Meh so Govan Mani has a special on the Panasonic DMC-G10K where you get the camera, another lens, carry bag and a 4GB SD Card for R5299. Guess what I bought? :) Now to learn how this thing works, just wish at least one of the four manuals was in English... :?