The Movie Thread

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by KatrynKat »

ok... so just turn the info around.... see... there... all better... :)
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

The Movie Thread

Post by Stuart »

Mystical_Titan wrote: That is one thing I don't EVER do. I will never not go watch a movie based on what other people say. If I want to see it, I will and then I will form my own opinion.
Ordinarily I'd agree with you, but you're talking about a potential Twilight clone here. I'm not opposed to making exceptions.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Ah, but you see, the fact that it's a "Twilight" clone means I wouldn't have wanted to see it from the beginning. :D
Molean

Post by Molean »

Stuart wrote:
Mystical_Titan wrote: That is one thing I don't EVER do. I will never not go watch a movie based on what other people say. If I want to see it, I will and then I will form my own opinion.
Ordinarily I'd agree with you, but you're talking about a potential Twilight clone here. I'm not opposed to making exceptions.
I agree, though I do like to hear other peoples opinions as they may differ from mine which I find interesting. As everyone enjoys a movie for certain reason and I like to know why they particularly didn't/did like the movie.

With that...went and Watched, The Rite last night. Decent Supernatural horror with some nice cinematography and eerie scenes. Slightly slow start, but when it does kick into gear it doesn't let up until the end. Great acting by Anthony Hopkins aswell. Worth the Watch.
i7 2600K|Zalman CNPS9900Max Red|8GB Corsair Vengance|Asus Maximus Gene-Z|MSI GTX660Ti PE OC|
|OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD|SG: 1.5TB+2TB+3TB|Samsung 2494HS|CM 850W Pro Silent PSU|CM690II
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

I'm pretty excited about the Superman reboot. Hopefully they can do it justice. Stone-faced Brendon Ruth and way-too-old-to-be-Lex-Luthor Kevin Spacey just didn't do it for me. Plus the story sucked.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I thought both Routh and Spacey played their parts well enough. I still reckon that Reeve made the best Superman because of the stark contrast he drew between Clark Kent and Superman. The Clark Kents since his time have been too cool and confident for my liking. I must admit though, the new guy that they have cast does actually look the part.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

There was no redeeming feature for Superman Returns as far as I'm concerned.
Molean

Post by Molean »

Watched a Great lil low budget Zombedy Called, Dance of the Dead. Fun Characters, good pace and some really cool gore makes for an entertaining hour. Some Cheesey acting in parts, but that just adds to the flavour. Worth the Watch.
i7 2600K|Zalman CNPS9900Max Red|8GB Corsair Vengance|Asus Maximus Gene-Z|MSI GTX660Ti PE OC|
|OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD|SG: 1.5TB+2TB+3TB|Samsung 2494HS|CM 850W Pro Silent PSU|CM690II
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I liked Superman Returns,. because I've never seen that Routh guy before and I thought he did a good job. Now he is all over the place and have lost a lot of his novelty. The bullet to the eye scene was great. Kevin Spacey is one of my favourite actors and is virtually incapable of bad acting IMO. Wasn't a fan of Kate Bosworth.

Speaking of Spacey; anyone seen Shrink? Enjoyed it very much.
Last edited by KALSTER on 24 Mar 2011, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

His acting wasn't bad, he was just too old for the part.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Mystical_Titan wrote:His acting wasn't bad, he was just too old for the part.
Wasn't Gene Hackman much older than Christopher Reeve? Also, does Superman age as fast as humans do? The movie seems to have been set much later than the original movies, i.e. he had a 10 year old boy and such? Just wondering what the continuity is, if there is any.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Molean

Post by Molean »

I too am a fan of Kevin Spacey. His acting in LA Confidential was phenomenal as was it in American Beauty.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

KALSTER wrote:
Mystical_Titan wrote:His acting wasn't bad, he was just too old for the part.
Wasn't Gene Hackman much older than Christopher Reeve? Also, does Superman age as fast as humans do? The movie seems to have been set much later than the original movies, i.e. he had a 10 year old boy and such? Just wondering what the continuity is, if there is any.
Superman Returns followed on essentially from Superman II and ignored the third and fourth Reeve installments. When Clark lost his powers in the second Superman movie he and Lois did the whoopee, which is (I assume) where the kid came from in Superman Returns.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

But then, theoretically at least, the kid shouldn't have had powers.

And the age difference between Gene Hackman and Christopher Reeves wasn't as noticeable. And yes, Superman does age differently to humans.
Molean

Post by Molean »

Dang, Sucker Punch is being panned by Critics. They say it has great special effects but will still bore you to tears. Compairing it to The Last Airbender...just Bustier. Oh well, still going to watch it for my own opinion.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Oh well, still going to watch it for my own opinion.
+1

It's a bit like Avatar (blue aliens). Fantastic visuals, bland story. That evil army guy reminds me of Brian from the Tekken game (the movie SUCKED).
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Molean wrote:Dang, Sucker Punch is being panned by Critics. They say it has great special effects but will still bore you to tears. Compairing it to The Last Airbender...just Bustier. Oh well, still going to watch it for my own opinion.
Doesn't really surprise me... but I'll also still go watch it.
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

Mystical_Titan wrote:Yeah, was awesome, but Tangled is too much brilliant! Would have loved to see that in 3D.
I'll shyly admit that I've seen this movie more than once on the big screen and it was amazing everytime I watched it. 3D is definitely a must for this movie, the lantern scene is especially spectacular when seen in 3D. :D
Molean wrote:Oh yes I agree...they go an make a classic fairy tale into a love story...le-sigh...they could have made it into a dark fantasy with some unusual characters thrown in...maybe some humour...oh wells...thats what you get from the director of Twilight...
I think they already did that with Hoodwinked?
ryanrich wrote:Got around to watching Tangled. Was alright, had it's funny moments...
Spoiler (show)
Would've had more effect if the dude stayed dead at the end, but oh well, it is a Disney movie so how can I expect anybody to die... :P
I don't know, I much prefer the happier ending where...
Spoiler (show)
He gets to live, gets the girl and like the girl he gets a real family as well.
Also...
Spoiler (show)
Dramatic deaths like that don't always work and make for an enjoyable ending, just look at the ending for Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, the dude stayed dead at the end and it made the ending rather weak as a result.
Molean

Post by Molean »

Mystical_Titan wrote:
Molean wrote:Dang, Sucker Punch is being panned by Critics. They say it has great special effects but will still bore you to tears. Compairing it to The Last Airbender...just Bustier. Oh well, still going to watch it for my own opinion.
Doesn't really surprise me... but I'll also still go watch it.
Surprised me a bit as most of Zack Snyders films have been quite well done and enjoyable for me. He is able to bring a decent amount of action, good story telling and likable/interesting characters, done in a unique flair. But everyone has their down days and I guess this film is his...
Molean

Post by Molean »

Molean wrote:Oh yes I agree...they go an make a classic fairy tale into a love story...le-sigh...they could have made it into a dark fantasy with some unusual characters thrown in...maybe some humour...oh wells...thats what you get from the director of Twilight...
'Xiphan wrote:I think they already did that with Hoodwinked?
They did, but for me it wasn't really that dark...more of a comedic who-dunnit, done in an overlapping film structure where we are shown each characters own perspective as too how the story is told or viewed. Then we are given a finale with everyones story culminating at the end. It was an animated film too...
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Molean wrote:Surprised me a bit as most of Zack Snyders films have been quite well done and enjoyable for me. He is able to bring a decent amount of action, good story telling and likable/interesting characters, done in a unique flair. But everyone has their down days and I guess this film is his...
I meant it doesn't surprise me that critics panned it. They're not usually into that kinda movie.
ADT

The Movie Thread

Post by ADT »

Any1 seen season of the witch? Watched it last nite,quite a cool movie, is it just me or does nicolas cage act in a lot of magician/witchcraft movies these days? O_o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Hmmm I read the horrendous review of it and decided to give it a skip, but if you say it's alright maybe I'll have a look.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Good actor combined with decent fictional magicking.... good combo... might just go and check it out.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Molean

Post by Molean »

Just Watched, Dracula 2000. Below average Horror. Had one or two cool scenes, but nothing to write home about. Bit of a sloppy plot and not the greatest of characters that bended the lore to their own liking. Worth the Watch but only if you are a big Vampire Fan or want to see Gerald Butler with Fangs.

In regards to Season of the Witch. I thought it was pretty decent. Nothing amazingly new, but it had a good flow, some cool scenes and humour(Which I wasn't expecting) Nice acting By Cage and Perlman. I also enjoyed the ending.
Last edited by Molean on 29 Mar 2011, 08:17, edited 1 time in total.