the (mainly) non-Christians thread.

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Re: the (mainly) agnostic thread.

Post by ryanrich »

aahahahaha :lol:

Damn but this thread has taken a detour... :)

Tribble, you were raised Christian right, but now you're more agnostic right? How are you raising your kids BTW? Sorry if you've already mentioned that and I missed it...
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Said the guy who bashed radiometric dating a few pages ago in an unrelated argument
I bashed radiometric dating? Image
I have a great deal of respect for jamin, rusty, kalster and kronos and think that the world would be a better please if more people were able to use the nervous tissue between their ears as they do.
That's a nice thing to say. ;) But don't sell yourself short. While I will obviously always be the smartest, most intelligentest guy in any room, you are still decidedly above average IMO. :)
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

KALSTER wrote:
Said the guy who bashed radiometric dating a few pages ago in an unrelated argument
I bashed radiometric dating? Image
Okay, you didn't bash it, but you did use it's supposedly large margin of error in support of an argument that had nothing do do with radiometric dating :P

While I will obviously always be the smartest, most intelligentest guy in any room
:lol: Until I enter. Then I will be then handsomest and most well endowed as well.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Where can I tune into this Radio Metric radio program?
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Your radio still runs on vacuum tubes and only gets AM, so you will never hear it :P
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

So that is why I know nothing about this uninteresting topic, no loss.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

lancelot wrote:So that is why I know nothing about this uninteresting topic, no loss.
Hmmm, a troll from someone who thinks SA is still on the gold standard :P
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

I am a huge fan of all Aborigines in Australia, the land of the not so free!

Anyway, what are doing up so late, it is well passed your bedtime?
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

It's 11PM here.
Also I have yet to meet a person of aboriginal descent since my arrival over a month ago.
They only make up about 10% of the population... but should I encounter one I will duly inform them of your love of their people and culture :D
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

ryanrich wrote:aahahahaha :lol:

Tribble, you were raised Christian right, but now you're more agnostic right? How are you raising your kids BTW? Sorry if you've already mentioned that and I missed it...
Yep I was and yep I am. I was even going to study as a minister. Oh well.

My kids are all in schools that are more Christian than anything else. They pray before meetings and functions etc, they read from the Bible. My two youngest consider themselves Christian - the oldest is not sure. He did believe until he found out they don't believe in evolution (he is a science nut). I have discussed other belief systems with them but I do listen to their prayers at night - and yes - they do begin with Dear God.

My daughter is getting more and more skeptical about the Christian doctrine as there are things they say are wrong, which she believes to be true. So who knows how they will end up. I make them think about what they learn at school but I do not bash their beliefs - though they do know they are not my beliefs.

Christianity saw me through the teenage years and I guess it is the reason I am as I am today. Ultimately they will have to look at all the facts/theories/beliefs and decide for themselves. It is not a decision I can make for them.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

jamin_za wrote:It's 11PM here.
Also I have yet to meet a person of aboriginal descent since my arrival over a month ago.
They only make up about 10% of the population... but should I encounter one I will duly inform them of your love of their people and culture :D

Oh, shame on me, I thought that they were once 100% of the population!
chowzen

Re: the (mainly) non-Christians thread.

Post by chowzen »

Hey Ho, time to bring this thread into the new year :)

I watched some of the best shows over the weekend - it was Richard Dawkings - the god delusion - BBC 4 . Man, what an interesting show - has anyone else seen it?
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Nope - but my mother read the book. Said that it was worth a read.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

chowzen wrote:Hey Ho, time to bring this thread into the new year :)

I watched some of the best shows over the weekend - it was Richard Dawkings - the god delusion - BBC 4 . Man, what an interesting show - has anyone else seen it?
I have only seen bits.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

Tribble wrote:

My kids are all in schools that are more Christian than anything else. They pray before meetings and functions etc, they read from the Bible. My two youngest consider themselves Christian - the oldest is not sure. He did believe until he found out they don't believe in evolution (he is a science nut). I have discussed other belief systems with them but I do listen to their prayers at night - and yes - they do begin with Dear God.

My daughter is getting more and more skeptical about the Christian doctrine as there are things they say are wrong, which she believes to be true. So who knows how they will end up. I make them think about what they learn at school but I do not bash their beliefs - though they do know they are not my beliefs.

Christianity saw me through the teenage years and I guess it is the reason I am as I am today. Ultimately they will have to look at all the facts/theories/beliefs and decide for themselves. It is not a decision I can make for them.
Every kid should grow up like this-exposed to both sides of the story and left to choose.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
chowzen

Post by chowzen »

JollyJamma wrote:
Tribble wrote:

Every kid should grow up like this-exposed to both sides of the story and left to choose.
In some regards I agree - but I think it really does depend on what side you stand - Atheist or Agnostic.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

But I have no idea where I stand. And according to most of you - my ideas are just loony :lol:
chowzen

Post by chowzen »

Well, then there is no hope....LOL, just kidding :)
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Naah I grew up in a house where my parents weren't Christians - I became one. And then didn't. My kids will get enough information for them to make up their minds. My daughter is now going to a JAM group at school (Jesus And Me). I am sure they will tell her all she needs to know about their religion and she really doesn't need me to tell her that I don't believe the bible to be accurate. So she is better off.
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

My parents bought me up to only really do the Christian thing on super important days such as Xmas and easter.

I always loved science and often would watch National Geographic in Primary school. I loved science class.
I still find black holes and quantum mechanics so awesome to read about.
I would rather watch a science show than most other stuff on TV
{Deleted a ton of junk}

I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
jee

Post by jee »

http://www.sillybeliefs.com/cults.html

While I don't believe that all religion/belief systems are harmful, this article does have an interesting view point.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 04:23, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
Prime

Post by Prime »

-Prometheus- wrote:Interesting view though funny that the authors fall for a number of fallacies while at the same time pointing out fallacies then refer to superstition and 'false' beliefs and also have their own false beliefs.

To me and to most others a cult is a group that exercises control through false beliefs that they impose through isolation. If this breaks down "members" start seeing these beliefs, which often are drastically different from the rest of society, as false so they usually resort to painting the outside world as a threat. If this definition is warped by too many to include religions we will simply invent a new word to denote real cults as there has to be a word to distinguish the two.
Funny, that sounds just like christianity and the other major religions.

The only difference between a religion and a cult is numbers. :wink:
jee

Post by jee »

-Prometheus- wrote: To me and to most others.......
Care to elaborate who and how many you include?
-Prometheus- wrote: a cult is a group that exercises control through false beliefs that they impose through isolation.
What is a false belief? How or who decides its false? So you think Scientology is a cult? Mormons? Those who follow the Druidism or Sybilan way of life? Hermetic beliefs? Santeria? Masons? Golden Dawn? Shamanism? UFO cult ( there is a good debate about the meaning of "cult" on their home page)

Drastically different from whose society?
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2008 ... umatic.php

Do read this. Yes, we are talking about cults. According to you my belief system is a cult. Church with all its doctrine believes in magic but if something like this happened in an "alternative" religion (cult?), everyone would be baying for blood.

I believe that we use the word "cult" incorrectly - but I do agree that we have been brain-washed (particularly those in the Christian environment) to believe that anything that is "bad" is a cult.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Prime

Post by Prime »

jee, cult also has a legal implication. in the UK, the government considers scientology a cult while in us, it's a religion.

I'll read the rest of your links when I'm not half asleep and grumpy.