Should I drink before the wedding speech?

Formerly known as "The Ward" -- now Anakha56 and rustypup's playground. Abandon all hope, all ye who enter.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
U_571

Should I drink before the wedding speech?

Post by U_571 »

I have trouble talking in front of people and I'm concerned that I might start crying like a girl on my wedding speech tonight. Should I down 2 Sambucas 30minutes before my speech?

Yay or nay?
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Re: Should I drink before the wedding speech?

Post by KatrynKat »

so let me get this right... it's your wedding today?

if so, maybe 1 should do the trick tho you are allowed to cry on your wedding day as it is 'supposed' to be the happiest day of your life.... tho for men i think it's the other way around....
tho i am sure you will do fine... just look at the gorgeous girl you just said that you would spend the rest of your life with and hopefully that will give you the courage to say what you want to say..... speak from the heart, mind and soul.....
Good Luck!!
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
Prime

Post by Prime »

It might help your nerves but don't do it if you think you'll regret it afterwards. Its one of the biggest days of your life.

And there is nothing wrong with a little emotion, given the occasion. Congrats
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

I am curious to know the outcome of this because I suffer from the same problem. If it works let me know my day is in December... :cry:

BTW Congrats ;).

/goes off trawling websites for "original" vows... :whistling:
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

// ^^ you will write your own vows.... and it will come from the heart and it will be awesome!! :)

but just remember that the people you will be speaching to are friends and family and not a room full of strangers.... so why be nervous and scared....?
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
jee

Post by jee »

The date is set Ankie? :D

boys, this is the big day... to have something small for the nerves.... hmmm... but not 2... and just remember, you might smell like a brewery from the sambuca when you kiss her... or breathe on the priest...

that lump... the one in your throat when you have to speak... or in your tuminy... that lump will be what all your friends will heckle with during your speech and help your though the ordeal, and all the mommies will grab for their tissues and go awwww... she is getting a GOOD man...

Be yourself. and if you have a problem, look at your bride and speak to HER - you can even that her parents while speaking ag HER....

blessed be...

oh, and post pics :)
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

KatrynKat wrote:// ^^ you will write your own vows.... and it will come from the heart and it will be awesome!! :)
:lol: Movies are not kidding when they say its difficult ;).
jee wrote:The date is set Ankie? :D

boys, this is the big day... to have something small for the nerves.... hmmm... but not 2... and just remember, you might smell like a brewery from the sambuca when you kiss her... or breathe on the priest...
The date is looking to be the 16/17 December

/OT

jee is right about your beverage choice. Rather go with something that is nearly odorless, vodka maybe? Maybe ask the Priest they generally have the good stuff tucked away somewhere ;).
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Hell yes. Have a few drinks before the speech. It'll calm your nerves and hopefully make for an interesting speech. Looking forward to the youtube wedding bloopers clip btw.
Not too much though, 'cos you don't want to ruin the "rest" of your wedding night, if you know what I mean. :wink:

I enjoyed myself before my speech. Had a few whiskies as per any other normal visiting or braai night. It doesn't effect your speech. It helps you handle it better and your friends that will inevitably come perch themselves in front of you teasing and trying to stuff up your speech.
jee

Post by jee »

Synth, its both the before and after drinking that can be a problem. It depends on what you are "use" to,

Jamin Huns for instance will be able to have a bottle - the last tot. Its that last tot that makes him sleep....

You know yourself. Don't do something totally out of character :)
Ankie, I want to come to the bachelor party. I think i will fit in better there... :)

Uboat... did you have a drinking night last night?
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
U_571

Post by U_571 »

Thanks for all the advice. My hands and knees shaking and my body feels like jelly, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do so what can I say...

I'm off to get ready now but watch this space for the wedding blooper video!
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

jee wrote: Ankie, I want to come to the bachelor party. I think i will fit in better there... :)
Speak to HG its his party to organize... :shock:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

The trick is to just relax. I've got quite a bit of experience in public speaking, and the biggest thing I've learned is to just relax and take it easy. I used to almost wet myself in the beginning, but once I started relaxing, I was fine.

Also, say a prayer before you go up :)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 03:17, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

A bit late to the thread, but congrats on your big day... and to Anakha56 for December.

I can remember I had a few drinks (not shots) before my turn came to speak, off course the fact that my new "swarrie" decided to steal my speech didn't help any to calm the nerves but hey before you know it all has passed and you look back at the day with great fondness :)
If you are at your Wits End...
Severed Fifth - Changing the way the music industry works, one song at a time!
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I too am late but I venture he won't be back for a few days at least. Congrats and I hope it was a success.
U_571

Post by U_571 »

Hey I just wanted to report back...

It did not take long for me to start crying, actually I completely lost it when my bride walked towards me in the isle. It's a feeling which I've never felt before, a happiness that I cannot describe. Best day of my life :P

This was a sure sign that the actual speech would be too much to handle for me, so 20 minutes before I downed 4 shots as well as a glass of champagne. This really helped to settle the nerves without getting me drunk, it made me speak with confidence without hesitating one bit. A lot of the guests came to me afterwards to congratulate me on my speech, particularly the comments about the bride which was very emotional.

So I reckon a little drinking before the speech does wonders! I made sure that the wifey got some shots as well to camouflage my sambuca breath :D
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Congratulations! And well done. A wedding day is one of the most memorable in your life, and you made yours perfect. Everyone would have been touched by your tears and then your speech. Esp the wife. That memory will carry you through tough times when / if they do come. I wish you many many years of absolute bliss - enjoy getting to know each other.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

The wifey got some WHAT? On your wedding night! You don't say! :shock:

Glad it turned out well but somewhat disappointed there's no blooper video.