Are you registered for the 2011 municipal elections?

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
rustypup

Re: Are you registered for the 2011 municipal elections?

Post by rustypup »

CapNemo wrote:That is not a protest that is just like giving your vote to the majority
"if you're not for us, you're against us" :lol: are people still bandying that old rag about the place...

seriously... the choice is personal... you don't agree with it for a variety of reasons, (not least of which is the fairytale concept that your vote counts toward anything meaningful), and that's fine...

what it doesn't grant you is some form of inalienable right to assume your skewed perception of the world is the only truth going... the numbers will defeat you every time... governance by popular vote is a farce... the power brokers will retain their privileges while the ants scurry around in desperate little circles and politicians continue to do nothing whilst accepting any bribe going to line their nest eggs

getting all puffed up on self-importance like your voice has an effect is so hilariously misguided it's borderline schizophrenia..

i'm just saying... :wink:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

I am so glad I wont be eligible to vote in Aus for at least another two years...

You know, they will actually fine you for not registering to vote here?
They don't care if you don't actually go out and vote, but if you are a citizen over 18 you HAVE to register...

problem, electorate?
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Hmmm rusty, not making your usual amount of sense at all... :?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

Rusty it might be a fairytale to think your vote is gona make a major difference but it sure as hell is going to make a huge difference if everyone opposed to the current government thinks like you and no votes are cast for any of the "opposition" parties

Secondly I didn't say those who aren't with us is against us but that if you don't vote it is about the same as voting for the majority and that not voting is not a protest it is giving up
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 02:43, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

-Prometheus- wrote:I do not care if the ANC has 90% of the votes
That is rather short sighted since that is the whole problem with our democracy there isn't a real opposition

-Prometheus- wrote:if I had the right to cast my vote instead of some politician doing it "for me"
Yeah I kind of see that one working :roll: it is called anarchy cause no decisions will ever be made since everyone will vote for himself
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 02:45, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
jee

Post by jee »

DeathPing wrote: On a serious note: I don't know if there is any tool other than http://www.statssa.gov.za/census2001/at ... index.html for the moment. Oh, and on my side it didn't work in Firefox, but in IE it worked fine! ;)
Most gov departments (because they use SITA?) can only be accessed via IE. They are not "coded" for other browsers... *sigh*
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

jee wrote:
DeathPing wrote: On a serious note: I don't know if there is any tool other than http://www.statssa.gov.za/census2001/at ... index.html for the moment. Oh, and on my side it didn't work in Firefox, but in IE it worked fine! ;)
Most gov departments (because they use SITA?) can only be accessed via IE. They are not "coded" for other browsers... *sigh*
+1 :?

I registered as a user on Cipro's site to do my Annual Return and it took me a week to figure out that, that was the case.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

So, off I went to re-register this morning. This exercise consisted of:
  • Walking 50m to the voting station
  • Taking 5 minutes to fill out a form
  • Walking 50m back to my flat
Easiest thing ever. :P
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.