A thread not for the easily offended

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Re: A thread not for the easily offended

Post by KALSTER »

lancelot, thanks a lot for your your reply. I really appreciate it. I believe as adults we should be able to discuss this stuff without starting to foam at the mouth, even if our positions are diametrically opposed. In light of this your mild demeanour is very welcome. This way we can actually learn about each other, instead of simply trying to outwit each other.

I will reply to this once I have a bit of free time later today! ;)
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

As to religion and government, my belief is that the two cannot mix, governments have no right to interfere with what I believe; therefore I am a proponent of a secular state
So you are saying that with religion out of a government, we as the people will have a much better life, with no major religion as a moral guideline or watch dog, as new laws are passed with no moral implications or religion attached to could essentially void the human rights act that protects you.

I am more afraid of a godless state, than one that has one.

Whether you like it not, religion and politics benefits you every day be it bad or good.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

wizardofid wrote:major religion as a moral guideline or watch dog
this is a discussion we've already had in this thread... the assertion that morality cannot exist outside of religion was proven to be flawed on multiple levels...

if it takes a priest/holy book/turtle to instruct us on what the difference is between social and anti-social behaviour, we've lost the plot and taken up smoking bin-liners...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

rustypup wrote:
this is a discussion we've already had in this thread... the assertion that morality cannot exist outside of religion was proven to be flawed on multiple levels...

if it takes a priest/holy book/turtle to instruct us on what the difference is between social and anti-social behaviour, we've lost the plot and taken up smoking bin-liners...
:P I have a smile, I believe in the holy turtle
Last edited by wizardofid on 03 Feb 2011, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

^^ Turtles all the way down, hey? :)
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

lol, that Turtle line cracked me up as well... :lol:
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

KALSTER wrote:^^ Turtles all the way down, hey? :)
rusty is right, however I don't want to start that debate all over again....
holy trinity/holy turtle same difference :P

I just reason that without "religion" where would morality originate from.
but then again....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morality_without_religion
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

wizardofid wrote:
KALSTER wrote:^^ Turtles all the way down, hey? :)
rusty is right, however I don't want to start that debate all over again....
holy trinity/holy turtle same difference :P

I just reason that without "religion" where would morality originate from.
but then again....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morality_without_religion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down :wink:
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

rustypup wrote:

+1.

My own mother turned to me one day and said that I was not a moral person because I was not Christian. I was shocked but knew she was talking junk so I told her she had been brainwashed and left the room.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Morals and religion. Chicken and egg discussion anyone?

Your morals are not neccessarily the morals of your forefathers or those of your descendants. Fact. They change with the times and the people. Remember slavery?

Embryonic stem cell harvesting in a few years and who knows - in 100 years it might even be acceptable to eat babies?
Spoiler (show)
Compliments of today's Looking for Group.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

:wink: :P
....Who the hell is Stephen Hawking? (of course I know who he is, never heard of the phrase sadly, I wish I did, and having to admit it I haven't is even worse, infinite regress yip that however rings rings a bell.)But essentially yes turtles all the way down. :P
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

wizardofid wrote:
As to religion and government, my belief is that the two cannot mix, governments have no right to interfere with what I believe; therefore I am a proponent of a secular state
So you are saying that with religion out of a government, we as the people will have a much better life, with no major religion as a moral guideline or watch dog, as new laws are passed with no moral implications or religion attached to could essentially void the human rights act that protects you.

I am more afraid of a godless state, than one that has one.

Whether you like it not, religion and politics benefits you every day be it bad or good.
Our present government does not have any "religion" in its system, they even removed prayer from the opening of parliamentary sessions. It has not done anything to morals or the lack thereof. As rusty says, people should be able to tell what is moral and what is not, sadly the majority cannot. :twisted:
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

sadly the majority cannot.
*sigh* There we go again.

You are slowly starting to annoy me. What a pointless remark, say what you mean or don't say at all.
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Our present government does not have any "religion" in its system, they even removed prayer from the opening of parliamentary sessions. It has not done anything to morals or the lack thereof. As rusty says, people should be able to tell what is moral and what is not, sadly the majority cannot. :twisted:
:D So are you part of the majority :twisted: :twisted: :P
Last edited by wizardofid on 03 Feb 2011, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Your point being? ^^
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Wiz, I am not talking about SA per se, but the world!
I have a few morals, I do not screw my sister for example, nor do I sell young girls into sexual slavery, I do battle both these temptations but shear will power keeps me away. :mrgreen:
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Kalster, please help me understand atheist morality. Rusty says that it is empathy and nothing else. Do you agree? I cannot understand that. Why should anyone care about anyone else? Is there any intrinsic value to empathy in your eyes? I know that humanism took a lot from Epicurus, so if I look at it from his perspective things become a little clearer: people can achieve more of their natural desires by working together. But what about those who can't contribute? Why would you want to care for them? I'm not saying you wouldn't, I just want to know understand why. Is it just instinct?

I know we've had this conversation before, but some of us were less than civil back then and I learned nothing. :P
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

With all due respect doo, I do not think you will learn much this round as well. (";)
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I am happy to oblige D3. I will get back to you (and Lancelot) a bit later today when I have a bit of time (it is difficult for me to put things down in a logical progression :roll: ). For the mean time, think about this: It is not so much atheist morality, it is human morality. Morality has the same origins for us all.

I see a few long posts coming up. :)
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

D3PART3D wrote:Why would you want to care for them? I'm not saying you wouldn't, I just want to know understand why.
are you still pretending that men are just naturally atavistic sink-holes of murderous depravity until such time as some learned philosopher/deity takes them by the hand and tells them how to live? :lol:

i really thought we'd bedded that down.. but ok...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

lancelot wrote:Wiz, I am not talking about SA per se, but the world!
I have a few morals, I do not screw my sister for example, nor do I sell young girls into sexual slavery, I do battle both these temptations but shear will power keeps me away. :mrgreen:
Yeah I understand it, it is rather difficult expressing what I mean.Trying to get behind the origins of morals without having the whole religion thing attached.

In simple terms without any self awareness of religion or any believe of some thing bigger and what it asks and commands, how different will morals be, how applicable will it be today, in fact how different would society have been without religion.Morals have been around since the caveman perhaps they couldn't explain it, but they knew getting it on with some one else's mate was going to get him in trouble.

Frankly how will that translate into today's society, not meaning we would be a bunch of barbaric people killing each other at the mere mention of stealing a carrot from my piece of land.What would the basic moral system be like.? Would it be similar to what we have now.
Essentially asking what would be better religion based morals, or morals not based on religion.

Which is why I mentioned we might better off with religion or semi based morals than no religion based morals.

Sigh! I hope you understand what I am getting at. :D :roll: :lol: :lol:

*edit
That would of course depend if religion is sham, then it is pointless asking the question.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Just for rusty however I think I am reposting...

http://science.slashdot.org/story/11/02 ... lashdot%29
Bombay High Court Rules Astrology To Be a Science
Posted by CmdrTaco on Thursday February 03, @12:58PM
from the magic-is-fun dept.
neosaurus writes
"In India, the Bombay High Court recently ruled astrology to be 'a time tested science more than 4000 years old.' Not only does this stretch the definition of science, it also reaffirms people's faith in pseudosciences at a broader level."
At least we can know for certain the people trying to get creationism taught as science in our schools have equally wacky friends around the globe.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/201 ... mpaign=rss
Nonembryonic stem cells can't forget their past
By John Timmer | Last updated about 23 hours ago

Embryonic stem cells can potentially revolutionize the way we treat disease, providing a source of tissue to replace or repair a huge variety of disorders. In the US, however, funding of stem cell research has been limited by policy decisions and, once those decisions were reversed, a court ruling. In the intervening years, researchers developed what appeared to be a promising alternative, a technique that could push any adult cell into a state that appeared to be indistinguishable from an embryonic one. Unfortunately, researchers have now looked a bit more closely at these induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs), and found that they are distinct from embryonic ones, in part because they retain the imprint of their former, mature state.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
jee

Post by jee »

VATICAN CITY (Reuters Life!) – Pope Benedict has a soft spot in his heart for organ donations but his body parts can't be donated to save lives after he dies, the Vatican says.

A doctor in Germany had been using the fact that the pope possessed an organ donors' card from a medical association to advocate the practice. The Vatican asked him to stop but he did not.

To settle the matter, the pope's secretary, Monsignor Georg Gaenswein, sent a letter to the doctor and the missive was reported in the German program of Vatican Radio.

"It's true that the pope owns an organ donor card ... but contrary to public opinion, the card issued back in the 1970s became de facto invalid with Cardinal Ratzinger's election to the papacy," Vatican Radio quoted from the letter.
source
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.