Are you registered for the 2011 municipal elections?

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
CapNemo

Re: Are you registered for the 2011 municipal elections?

Post by CapNemo »

They win everywhere because "It doesn't matter to me" really I don't get people
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

How old are you sektor-05?
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

doo_much wrote:Voter apathy is one of this country's biggest problems.
i disagree... tribalism, education and lack of critical faculties are this countries biggest problems...
  • Black African - 79.4%
    White - 9.2%
    Coloured - 8.8%
    Asian - 2.6%
the ANC pulled 66% of the votes in the last election...

you can vote until you're blue in the face - until the bulk of the population twigs that political rhetoric, especially that of the ANC, is the sort of mind-bubbling stupidity which so typifies african politics your vote is as meaningful as a fart in a cyclone..

to be fair, the floor crossing tripe has been done away with so now the party you vote for is pretty much the one you get...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

rustypup wrote: - snip- your vote is as meaningful as a fart in a cyclone..

to be fair, the floor crossing tripe has been done away with so now the party you vote for is pretty much the one you get...
I'm sure the guys in Cape Town will disagree with the first part! :lol:

And what's to stop our majority ruled goverment from OK-ing some more floor crossing? :?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

rustypup wrote:
doo_much wrote:Voter apathy is one of this country's biggest problems.
i disagree... tribalism, education and lack of critical faculties are this countries biggest problems...
  • Black African - 79.4%
    White - 9.2%
    Coloured - 8.8%
    Asian - 2.6%
the ANC pulled 66% of the votes in the last election...

you can vote until you're blue in the face - until the bulk of the population twigs that political rhetoric, especially that of the ANC, is the sort of mind-bubbling stupidity which so typifies african politics your vote is as meaningful as a fart in a cyclone..

Busy retyping a CV for some one, he kindly added mini marathon to his list of Tertiary Qualifications as well as his code 8 drivers license.

Cleaning and watching TV as a hobby.

We are beyond the point of education being a problem... :wink:
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Yup, as doo_much says, it's not about getting a new ruling party nationally, because that isn't gonna happen anytime soon. It's about getting the party you want, to rule your province or ward, as in CPT, and to stop the ANC from getting a 2/3 majority.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

doo_much wrote:I'm sure the guys in Cape Town will disagree with the first part!
western cape demographics
  • 53.91% - Coloured
    26.68% - Black
    18.41% - White
    1.00% - Asian
2009 election results:
  • DA - 51.46%
    ANC - 31.55%
i'm surprised the ANC hit >30% with those numbers... means they're making inroads...
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

^^ I agree :!:

I am registered at the Rondebosch Bowls Club :?: Can have a game while I wait!
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

rustypup wrote: i'm surprised the ANC hit >30% with those numbers... means they're making inroads...
Which makes the non-voters' votes more important? Maybe the guys who aren't voting because "the ANC is going to win anyway" have the votes that can swing the outcome. Even if it is just to prevent an outright majority?

The ANC bus people in to polling stations, give away t-shirts and make voting a generally more interesting experience than Me Zille and co do. Which means more of their supporters vote.

And of course they can still learn from our Northern neighbour... :whistling:
Spoiler (show)
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

ryanrich wrote:It's about getting the party you want

if you're residing in NC/WC sure... you've got a say... as for the rest of us...

i'll be drinking some 18yr old tipple and working on a side project... :D
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

So what is the demographic like in your voting district rusty?
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

doo_much wrote:So what is the demographic like in your voting district rusty?
that is stating the obvious, rather ask what is not in his voting district :P
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

doo_much wrote:So what is the demographic like in your voting district rusty?
i'm in KZN... which means if i want to challenge the ANC i need to vote DA or IFP... and given that i'd sooner shove a running chainsaw through my eye than vote for those IFP thugs,this leaves me with the DA... at ~18%... vs ANC @ 68%... :/
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Are those stats for your ward?
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
sektor-05

Post by sektor-05 »

ryanrich wrote:How old are you sektor-05?
I'm 30. How old are you? And stop giving others false hope :D

rustypup wrote:
I'm in Gauteng. Maybe, just maybe if I queue for 7 hours to vote I can make a 0,0001% voting difference. And still lose :D
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

You guys have no idea what the demographics in your Voting District and Ward are, do you? :roll:

*edit

To find the racial demographics for your municipality go to StatsSA
Be warned this this is a really slow server - understandably if you consider how much data you are accessing.

Expand (Meaning click the '+') "Community Profiles", "Community Survey 2007", "Persons and Services".
Click on "Persons and Services - Community Survey 2007"

The reporting tool will reload your screen. Patience.

Expand "Population Group" and select the groups you want stats for - normally all. Click Apply.
Expand "Geography, then your Province and your District Municipality, select your Municipality and Add as a column.
Click Apply.

Voila.

To go down to Ward level you will have to use the 2001 Census database.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
DeathPing

Post by DeathPing »

doo_much wrote:You guys have no idea what the demographics in your Voting District and Ward are, do you? :roll:
Dr. Jung is going to let us vote in/on/out of THE WARD?! :mrgreen:

On a serious note: I don't know if there is any tool other than http://www.statssa.gov.za/census2001/at ... index.html for the moment. Oh, and on my side it didn't work in Firefox, but in IE it worked fine! ;)

Province: Free State
Municipality: MAN - Mangaung Metropolitan Municipality [Bloemfontein]
Voting District: 21860030
Ward Number: 49400024

Persons 1996 | 2001 | % change
African 917 | 868 | -5.34%
Coloured 62 | 174 | 180.65%
Indian 14 | 25 | 78.57%
White 9835 | 7844 | -20.24%
Total population 10858 | 8911 | -17.93%

Eish! Too much whites? We have been having it!! Bwahahahahaha! :mrgreen:
The keyboard is mightier than the pen!
When the last guitar string goes "Ping!", that is when Death will stop to sing...
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Thanks DP, that's waaaay easier than my tool.
Obviously been working with raw data for waaaaay too long... :oops:
Last edited by doo_much on 03 Feb 2011, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

You guys have no idea what the demographics in your Voting District and Ward are, do you?

my ward is a blip on the screen.. always has been... we're as population dense as the north pole and have all the clout of a tadpole... (i believe last census was scraping 30k but i don't care enough to hunt it down...)

last time around it was a furious battle between the IFP and DA which almost ended in court/violence... since then every attempt at improvement has been thoroughly thwarted by virtue of the fact that your ward victory means zip in the face of your municipal masters...

terribly sorry. no budget. good luck with that next year... maybe vote ANC... we'll see what we can do...

hollow victories are hollow.....
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

that's sad...

not the political strive in your area, but your giving up...

oh heck why do i even bother i'd be better off going for a beer...
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
DeathPing

Post by DeathPing »

doo_much wrote:Thanks DP, that's waaaay easier than my tool.
Obviously been working with raw data for waaaaay too long... :oops:
It's a pleasure, doo! ;)

Looking at the map legend, I was astonished (and found it a tad ironic) to see that Black African was indicated by a kind-of Europeanish (yes, there exists such a word... now! :P) colour and Coloured is more close to white skin colour than White legend colour is to the white colour... Bah! :facepalm:

...and all other races are not African, except blacks (according to the map key/legend, at least)... :twisted: :lol:
doo_much wrote:that's sad...

not the political strive in your area, but your giving up...

oh heck why do i even bother i'd be better off going for a beer...
+1

Indeed, the mere thought of it is a good enough reason to drive one to alcohol... :(

...except doo would have the beer anyway! :P :lol:
The keyboard is mightier than the pen!
When the last guitar string goes "Ping!", that is when Death will stop to sing...
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

meh... i'm a realist... i live in a province where the population is rapidly declining not because of migration but because of aids... and instead of simply not sleeping around, we're choosing to gripe that government isn't doing anything to stop us sleeping around :/ expecting this lot to wake up and go "ANC bad!" is like wishing clouds were cotton candy..

the choice is to waste time, energy and frustration on achieving the very thing you could achieve by taking a personal day and going fishing.. and, frankly, i'll take fishing over officious idiocy any day of the week...
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

the choice is to waste time, energy and frustration on achieving the very thing you could achieve by taking a personal day and going fishing.. and, frankly, i'll take fishing over officious idiocy any day of the week...
Woot, woot, Did I hear fishing? Still have to bag my self a natal scaling. :P
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 02:43, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

That is not a protest that is just like giving your vote to the majority
Thus I don't want to hear any complaining from you if the government you elected screws up
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"